davep

Re: work picking up?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 09:26:52 pm »
Gotten out?  Erm it must have been cracking the flags where you live Tony but everyone was off work and kids where off school here, roads where empty due to ice  :P

derek west

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »
can't really say i'm bothered if someone believes me or not.
someone asks a question so we all answer it. some might lie some tell the truth. does it really matter. you take what you take. the fact is, ive done fantastic in jan and feb "BY MY STANDARDS" . this could be absolutely dire to someone else.

for all that have done well first part of this year, hats off to yas.

for all those that haven't, chin up guys.

nevil

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »
I'm pretty darn busy.

Feb wasn't great but march has been decent so far with plenty coming in over the last few days in particular. One of them is especially good as it half fills my diary until the end of March and at good rates. 

April is never a very good month for me but come May things should pick up and stay rosy right through until Christmas. My long term aim is to attract more high end work so that when the good times come the profits increase.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 06:46:40 am »
I'm in my 21st year, and ir feels like my 1st month. Yes I am being pro-active, very.

dave123

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:19 am »
Davep One job can change the whole month for you .Like a lot of us i was quiet for the first two weeks of January, then got a big job that changed a bad month into quite a good one for January anyways . Also getting a few contracts for quarterly cleans (commercial) Have to admit though it is my regulars that have helped me a lot by passing my name onto friends. One of them sent an email to all her friends about me and i got  6 calls from them . So for me not too bad overall .

Dave

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 07:26:03 am »
Business was very slow for me in Jan & Feb (after a good December).  But things are really picking up now (yippee!!).  Hoping for a good 'spring clean'.
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2010, 08:25:57 am »
Guy's,

Could I offer some advice.
If you're quiet and the phone isn't ringing:

Don't panic
DO NOT increase your advertising
Cut every possible overhead and just ride it out.
The truth is that you cannot change the situation but you can make it a whole lot worse by panicking and spending more money on advertising when the reality is that people aren't buying carpet cleaning services at the moment.
What you can do are the things that cost you little or nothing, do mail shots, go out leafleting, door knocking, cold calling. If you can't find customers for today then find customers for the future.
In the face of adversity - you find yourself!

Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:52 am »
Good post Simon....

I've only had 4 jobs this week but I've caught the phone ringing a lot with custys, so next 2 weeks are nice and full..... ( mainly oven cleaning though >:(, shouldn't complain though!)

JandS

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »
Cut your advertising and you will definitely be quiet.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

derek west

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »
i think the idea is to cut what isn't as effective and spend more on what is, for instance,if glossy mags pay for them selves then ditch them for a while, if ad words is working well then increase your keywords and areas etc....

thats prividing you monitor where your work is coming from, and if you don't, well........ more fool you.

jasonl

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2010, 01:51:53 pm »
Another  cure for lack of work is to diversify ,, I have worked with several people from this board lately who have approached me for help with water damage situations. There is a high chance that every letting agent in the country has had an escape of water in a void property this winter , if you are hooked up with them ,do they know you can deal with it effectively ?
Also hard floor cleaning is very lucrative at times for me.

Depth and breadth will get  people through the next couple of years , dont kid yourselves that recession is over ,, once the election is done , you can expect the next government to make massive budget cuts, and blame it all on Gordon. Times are getting harder, and only the eco friendly and the willing to change and diversify will survive.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Paul W Jones

Nigel Cole

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »
Cut your advertising and you will definitely be quiet.

John
Agree here with ya buddy - do not cut your advertising - stay prominent, I do and it works for me !
 ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:43 pm »
I've got my first 7 day week of the year this week. fullday P/W tomorrow and a chinesse restuerant on sunday.

hopefully this will be the start of getting back to normal.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Nigel Cole

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:23 pm »
Nice one Mike - fully booked myself for next week - wahooooooooo  8)