Les

Re: new laptop
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 07:05:52 pm »
Hi
Just purchased a new laptop from Currys, same company as PC World but much better after sales, I and many friends have found PC Worlds 'Customer care to be much worse than suggested on their TV ads... :o Now there's a surprise !

I have a guy who repairs computers and he said he'd had two Dell Computers that had just stopped working completely without warning. Both machines had been quite new which put me off.

I purchased this Acer 5735
4GB RAM, as high as you can get currently...apparently.
500 GB Hard Drive
Wide Screen etc. etc.

I shopped around the usual computer stores and nothing matched it's spec for the money £499. Even other Acer Machines were the same money but had only half the memory  ???

I hope the info might be of help.

Les

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »
Les there isn't a link is there?

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:15 pm »

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 07:39:31 pm »
Good find Derek! what do you think? I ask you because I bet you've been hitting the high street or internet looking at loads in the last week or so.

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »
its all about parts working in harmony and thats why, the more you pay the better the components. bit like cc machines, no good having high heat with a 40psi pump, or great psi with rubbish vac.
if the graphic card conflicts with the motherboard or you have all that ram but a slow processor blah blah blah then the machine may look good on paper but will be slow with certain apps. was into in the early days, could even use DOS (pre windows, how old am i)but ive lost touch recently, think its a trip to wh smiths to buy a copy of which laptop. those guys know what there on about.
derek

spindle

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
DELL

the best computers money can buy..............

last year gave my boys my old 10yr old desktop.......... :o :o :o

nothing wrong with after 10 yrs.just a bit slow

sony viao dont even think about it..........customer service pants and expensive

bought hp from pc world.£1300- 17" monitor fingerprint recognition.......good laptop!!!
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Darren O

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 08:21:57 pm »
Dont buy anything Toshiba all you will be buying is a Bush make with Toshiba badge on it.

Les

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 08:32:16 pm »
I notice that your link shows a model with a 250GB Hard Drive. The one in Curry's is 500 GB.

Just wanted to point that out as my computer man said you can easily be caught out with the numerous variants available.

Les  ;)

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 08:42:20 pm »
Perfectly happy with my offering from Samsung. £500 and runs MS OFFICE no probs, even does fairly speedy video and audio editing.

Can't play serious games on it though.

Dennis

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 08:43:40 pm »
Dell Outlet sometimes have good bargains.

Dell Outlet is a division of Dell Products, selling refurbished computer equipment which is limited in quantity. This is product, which has been returned to Dell for a variety of reasons including cancellation and specification changes.

All products have been tested and repackaged to Dell factory standards and come with a full Service Pack. High demand - so start shopping NOW - to get the system that's right for YOU!"

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?s=dfo&l=en&c=uk

clinton

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 08:48:40 pm »
I would go for that medion from aldi its a great lap top and a good price :)

John Kelly

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 09:05:03 pm »
 Darren, wheres the info to say Toshiba is a bush. I'm happy with mine and I had an old satelite which only got resigned to the bin because i dropped it out my van and cracked the case, still worked though.

Darren O

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:43 pm »
John about 18 months ago my telly went on the blink Toshiba model cost £1600 but the warranty ran out the guy that fixed told me he also new the problem with my telly as soon as i told him what model it was  he said Toshiba got taking over about 6 years ago by Bush they also own Matsui and a few more companys to.The next time your in Comet look at the price of the Toshiba tvs they are comimg right down in price.

derek west

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »
is this yours les?
derek
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1523796296.1234300977@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfladeghfhdglkcfl
gceggdhhmdgmi.0&category_oid=&source_id=
aw&sku=419076&page=Product&camp_id=VAC+media+ltd&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »
John a hot box is a diesel or lpg burner that heats the water upto past boiling point as and when you need it and immediately and constant.

I've been wanting to say it all thread

"what's a hotspot not........a good spot"

Shaun

Les

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:17 pm »
Yes Derek that's the one I got.

Les  ;)

Les

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 09:35:37 pm »
By the way Derek,

It's also got quite a few features that aren't listed on the website for example a zoom facility via the mouse pad just by moving your fingers... :o

You might find a visit to Currys worthwhile just to have a play and see if it's what you need.

Les

derek west

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »
yeah going tomorrow les, cheers for that.
derek

ps.... someone had a usb microscope on here, can you remind me where you got it from, gonna google it, see if i can fnd one.

Bob Robertson

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:38 pm »
Derek

I posted pics of leather a few weeks ago using this usb microsope.

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/searchSite.do?Query=usb+microscope

Bob