derek west

new laptop
« on: February 10, 2009, 05:35:59 pm »
need a new one, this one had it.
went to pc world and for some reason, the only stock on the 2 lappys i wanted were on display.
just been on dell.com and built one, but could do with some feedback before committing.
any ideas before i spend best part of a grand?

derek

clinton

Re: new laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:48:31 pm »
Derek

Mine went last yr and had a look round an the prices were so dif.

Got a basic lap top for 250 reduced at asda so saved 90 quid you might find end of lines in tesco too :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:03:04 pm »
Bought my son a laptop for Xmas about £250 it's not bad rather would have spent the extra £400-500 but how much do you spend on them? (violin music) never had that spent on me whan I was young :'(

Derek didn't you used to sell laptops with computer games in your previous job? why spend £1000 is there something we need to know?

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »
Shaun i would not pay a grand either for 1 ???

Must be the yorkshire in me ;D

You can get some great deals from tesco at the mo you get a good deal for cash on most things at the mo ;)

derek west

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:02 pm »
never sold computers just consumables.
epson inks 50p
dvd-r (riteks) 15p. cheap but quality.
just want something thats not crashing and slow loading photos and video, plus i multitask so need the ram and cache.
also could do with some genuine software rather than blobbys all the time. there forever crashing.
dell do a top notch for £800 with vista home and office basic, or an extra £100 for office pro. anyone bought a dell recently and whats the build quality like, been looking at the sony vious(?) but were talking 1200. nice though,
ps... the dells got fingerprint recognition, woohooo.
derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:25 pm »
Mate's son has a Del and I was using it at Xmas when I was in my sick bed and I thought it was brilliant I think it was about £400. Was told to keep to Windows XP as Vista has too much on it and is waiting for the next generation of computers and software.

Still think £800 is too much ;D I'm out!

Shaun

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:22:08 pm »
Always bought Dell in the past but one of the pc's lost a hard drive then the motherboard went. Still good though. However just bought 2 Toshiba laptops, brilliant and only 300 and 400 quid. Went to pc world as well and they seem to be in meltdown. Ended up buying at Tescos.

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:23:36 pm »
PS just seen one of the local Chem Dry's "toughboxes" I think they're called. £3,600 what a peice of kit.

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:27:50 pm »
Derek,
I've just bought a new laptop on sunday and had a Dell before which was very poor and would never buy another, It has some software which can be be removed and pops up with a buy now for only £££

This is the link for the one i have, its so fast !!! i dont think you need to spend a grand

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/723600

Paul

stevegunn

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:31:17 pm »
Son got this one massive memory and hard drive

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152233

colin thomas

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 06:32:38 pm »
i have a dell inspiron laptop that is around 4 years old, previous to that i had 2 different desktop dells that were great, good back up, the lot. then the laptop had a problem after around 11 months and the b's wouldn't repair it without mugging me for £500! i felt i had to pay in the end to get it back and i swore i would never buy dell again so i got this sony vio and i think it is crap, it crashes and does all sorts of weird things. i never thought i would but i think for my next laptop i will give dell another chance, i think the build quality is very good on them even though i had a problem.
the other make that i would take a chance on is the one that aldi/sainsbury sell, medion. they have loads of spec at a good price.

colin
colin thomas

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:15 pm »
PS just seen one of the local Chem Dry's "toughboxes" I think they're called. £3,600 what a peice of kit.

What is it?

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:45:40 pm »
cheers paul, ive got a HP now and its been okay for 3 years so might go for another, good spec on that one, bet pc world have only got the display model though.
derek

colin thomas

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »
if you like to watch tv on your laptop, bbc iplayer for instance, look out for a HDMI port, one cable and everything on your laptop screen is on the tv screen, films, progs or the internet, even these forums, it's really cool!!! don't forget you have to have a HDMI port on the tv as well, most new flat-screens do.

colin
colin thomas

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 06:54:03 pm »
Shaun, here http://www.ultima-computers.com/panasonic_toughbook_overview.htm?gclid=CKy1genP0pgCFQ0vQgodD3oz4Q

His is top of the range. Apparently the hard drive is armour plated so even if your laptop was in an explosion they could recover the data.

derek west

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:37 pm »
colin

PCI cable (think thats what its called) will do the same as long as your tele has socket, most up to date tele's have, i run my laptop through the plasma cos the screen is fkd on the laptop. no hdmi needed.
better quality through hdmi but not noticable.

derek

derek west

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 06:59:56 pm »
spoke to CD operator, told me he had a tough book.
told me how he'd sprayed water on it, dropped it out of a window 10 floors up, the van caught fire and it was still working, asked him if i could look at it, said no its been stolen. ;D
derek

John Kelly

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 07:01:07 pm »
Very good Derek ;D

colin thomas

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 07:02:23 pm »
ok derek, i didn't know that, you live and learn!!
colin thomas

JandS

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 07:03:38 pm »
My question also Shaun, what is a hotbox?

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.