Alex

Free Demo's
« on: November 12, 2003, 08:44:06 pm »
Just wanted to know what you guys think about offering FREE demo’s to pubs or hotels to try and get work or a maintenance contract with them. If you think demo’s are good can you let me know what size you would do, I don’t know if I should just put a nice clean line down the middle of the carpet :D

Anyway, I’m only just getting started and I’m working on domestic at present but would like to go in to the commercial side – I understand the waiting on payments and good stuff like that but I still want to go ahead with it.

John_Flynn

Re: Free Demo's
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 08:55:50 pm »
DO NOT wait for payment!!!

Let it be known when you quote for the work that your terms are NET on completion.

Does your Bank Manager clean carpets ??
I get better looking each day!!

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 09:09:50 pm »
.I agree with John don't wait for payment I waited four months to get paid by a well know housebuilder who wanted their showhouse cleaning.Now I state payment be received when the job is completed if they don't agree to those terms I walk away.Below is a pic of the sort of demo I carry out

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 10:16:33 pm »
Alex

Steve's picture using the masking tape is the way to go. It isn't unknown for a commercial prospect to ask you to demo "the area around the coffee machine" when in reality that's all they want cleaning, and they've just had it done for nowt :'(  If you're demoing stain removal, put the tape through the stain, so it's not all treated. You need to show the benefits of your service, but they must still retain the need to have the work done. Having said all of the above, there will also be occasions where you deem it necessary to clean a whole area and feather it in, so you'll need to make a judgement on each occasion.

As for payment, on completion is always the goal, but not always achieveable. If you still want the work but have to give credit, you may wish to consider working penalties into your costings for late payment, or incentives for early payment. Something like a £100 job: Terms: 30 days net.
For payment received in this office by 19th Nov. 2003 the sum of £10 may be deducted from the above total.
Just another option for you to consider.
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Cloverleaf

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 11:50:20 pm »
I dont give anything for free unless I know the company or client.
House builders are the worst senario. Went to give a quote on some newley built homes and they had already got some other company to do the job when I arrived, (I had travelled 33 miles).
I have  recieved much work from an astate recently and no commision paid to them, they got me all the work and much satisfied with our work, including their clients.
I walked into their shop a couple of weeks ago and the carpet was filthy. I said your carpet needs cleaning.
The shop manager said to me, how much will it cost.
I said nothing!
Another happy customer ;D
In other words give freebys afterwards, not before, they will never forget, would you?

John_Flynn

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 12:11:39 am »
Man after my own heart Cloverleaf, when I've done a job and the client asks if I can clean a rug or a Hallway that they want cleaning I alway do it for FREE!!
I get better looking each day!!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 10:36:31 am »
Be careful if you work for builders. You need a CIS certificate from the Revenue to be paid, even then the builder has to take 18% tax off. A big franchise HO took a job from a builder and passed it to a franchisee. The Main company was Ltd so it was ok but the chappie that did the job was not CIS or Ltd. It took 18 months to sort and a penalty from IR. I do all their work in the Midlands now (about £9000 last year.) At the end of the year you put the tax credits with your return and deduct that from your tax, it lessens the blow.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

woodman

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 05:41:30 pm »
Hi Alex

Free demo's are a must if you are to target Pubs,Clubs offices etc they have no other way of knowing what you can do for them  and remember as much as it still surprises those of us that have been around a few years there are still people out there who don't realise they can have their carpets cleaned effectively.

As for waiting for payments I would expect payment on completion if it's a pub or restaurant one off clean but if you are after more long term arrangements then you will have to arrange terms for your clients usually 30 days.This is standard practice and most companies will not do it any other way.

Good Luck

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 07:58:22 pm »
;D

Demo can be a way to go

I have done this but do only a small area

Funny how the free cleaning job just gets larger and larger

like Oh could you please try that over here and there and what about over here too.

"A man has got to have limitations". Clint Eastwood

:o :o