therapist

Re: Craftex
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2005, 09:11:50 am »
Craftex have a new product which ...........Cleans / Sanitises / Deodorises / Protects.........all at once.

For use with Thermal Rotary Systems.

r m

therapist

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2005, 10:01:35 pm »
Intended phoning today, but only got home about 9-30pm

the advert was in a trade mag' with no technical data

I hope to phone them tomorrow

r m

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2005, 07:29:54 pm »
So what about the triclosan then does this product have it in. I understand that some craftex products have this in.

Triclosan has recently been banned due to the fact that it has been found to be carcenagenic ( excuse the spelling if it's wrong)

Correct me if im wrong!

Nobby

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2005, 07:40:01 pm »
I think you're correct, I understand that Triclosan, commonly found in toothpaste, has been banned.  I am not aware that Craftex use this bactericide though, it is not in Catalyst which I think is the product referred to above.

Regards
Nobby

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2005, 08:38:17 pm »
Are you saying that it is in bactoshield Steve?

Surely if a chemical is banned then its use in any other products would be prohibited also!

Cheers Goron

therapist

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2005, 12:02:59 am »
My god,

I mention a new product which I came accross purely by accident and a witch hunt ensues.

I can't imagine any company bringing a new product to the market which would fail to meet current legislation.

If you know so much C/ K you will be aware that all products brought to the cleaning marketplace must comply with H & S legislation and when you make an initial purchase, you are supplied with the relative COSHH data.

I don't believe any UK company, is likely to bring out a new product, without it meeting current legislation, do you ?

The product is Catalyst

What's the paranoia all about anyway ?

This is a Craftex thread and I mention an advert from a trade publication, just as a matter of interest  following the slightly less than flattering comments about  their operation and someone starts raving.....

You sound like a primary school teacher  c / k

r m

I

dave401uk

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2005, 02:06:18 am »
isnt it better to know all the facts, and see the whole picture?? ::)
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

Gavin Reardon

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2005, 09:01:58 am »
Hi All

Goron is correct to point this out to us as this is what forums are for  ;)

How it can be called paranoia ??? your out or order!!

I see the twits oh sorry mean twins are doing members heads in again. It a shame one can not think with out the other  ;D  ;D  ;D

Regards Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

therapist

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2005, 12:32:33 pm »
In response to the query by  C /  K who asked if the Craftex product contained Triclosan .................

No, IT DOES NOT and apparently, it's actually been around for about three years...................

Was brought out, for bonnet mopping systems, which utilised heat, but is, apparently also effective, cold...........

Craftex will shortly be launching something new, which sounds very interesting.

Thank you to C/K, for prompting me to speak to a company I'd no previous dealings with, as this might just be the catalyst, a group of us have been seeking.

Gavin

I see no comment on this thread from Ron King and what exactly was it Goron ' was pointing out '

Decided to delete further comments

r m

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2005, 04:01:01 pm »
Triclosan, a chemical used for its antibacterial properties, is an ingredient in many detergents, dish-washing liquids, soaps, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions, anti-microbial creams, various toothpastes, and an additive in various plastics and textiles. However, the safety of triclosan has been questioned in regard to environmental and human health. While the companies that manufacture products containing this chemical claim that it is safe, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has registered it as a pesticide. The chemical formulation and molecular structure of this compound are similar to some of the most toxic chemicals on earth, relating it to dioxins and PCBs. The EPA gives triclosan high scores both as a human health risk and as an environmental risk.

Triclosan is a chlorophenol, a class of chemicals which is suspected of causing cancer in humans. Externally, phenol can cause a variety of skin irritations, but since it can temporarily deactivate sensory nerve endings, contact with it may cause little or no pain. Taken internally, even in small amounts, phenol can lead to cold sweats, circulatory collapse, convulsions, coma and death. Additionally, chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides can be stored in body fat, sometimes accumulating to toxic levels. Long term exposure to repeated use of many pesticide products can damage the liver, kidneys, heart and lungs, suppress the immune system, and cause hormonal disruption, paralysis, sterility and brain haemorrhages.

Dioxins, PCBs, chlorophenols and many pesticides are categorized as persistent organic pollutants. In other words, they persist in the environment and accumulate to higher and higher concentrations with each step up the food chain. Virtually, every creature on earth has a measured amount of these pollutants in its body fat. Once absorbed into the fat cells, it is nearly impossible to eliminate these compounds. Triclosan is among this class of chemicals, and humans are among the animals at the top of the food chain. The health risks are considerable.

Employing a strong antibiotic agent such as triclosan for everyday use is of questionable value. Many antimicrobial treatments are toxic and take a shotgun approach to killing all microscopic organisms to which they are applied. However, this approach includes the risk of toxicity to host organisms, that is, the plants or animals (including humans) exposed to treatment for microbial infections. Toxic exposure to living creatures can also occur when food items and objects such as utensils or hard surfaces are treated with disinfectants for microbial contamination. Additionally, the shotgun approach destroys the beneficial bacteria which occur naturally in the environment and in our bodies. These so-called friendly bacteria cause no harm and often produce beneficial effects such as aiding metabolism and inhibiting the invasion of harmful pathogens. Anti-microbial formulas and disinfectants can also cause genetic mutations resulting in drug-resistant bacterial and mutant viruses, producing new strains of harmful microbes for which the human immune system has no defence.

Triclosan has not been completely tested and analyzed for all health and environmental risks, but since it occurs in the category of the chemicals which are known to have the detrimental effects described here, do you want it added to products you use every day?

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND. I DO BELIEVE THAT SOME OF CRAFTEX'S CHEMICALS CONTAIN THIS PRODUCT. I'M ONLY REPEATING WHAT I HAVE HEARD

THANKS GORON

therapist

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2005, 07:44:26 pm »
Really,what is the point of this  Goron?

You may have a genuine concern for the public, but that, quite frankly is not the way you're coming accross.

I have clarifed your original point concerning the product known as Catalyst, which I thought was new and of interest to many c/c's, only to discover, it's been around for 3 years.

Spoke to Craftex who confirmed that Catalyst does NOT contain Triclosan and he is sending the relevent data.

That, is the end of the story, as far as I'm concerned'

You are getting yourself into murky waters, if you publicly condemn, create suspicion, make insiuations about products.

I have never criticised, any products, on here, although I have occasionally suggested alternatives, or different approaches..........always with a view to stimulating debate.

nuff said, for now

r m

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2005, 07:53:08 pm »
You are getting yourself into murky waters, if you publicly condemn, create suspicion, make insiuations about products.

I have not done any of the above.

I have a genuine concern. not just for the public but for my fellow carpet cleaners.

I was of the understanding that one or some of craftex products contained triclosan and as i said earlier "correct me if i'm wrong."

Surely if there is a possibility of a problem then everybody should be made aware of it. Take the sudan food colouring for instance.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2005, 08:23:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

Am I the only person confused by this .

Someone mentions a new product and immediately several people zoom in with comments about Triclosan, whatever that is.

It's like someone is priming people to react.

What have Craftex done to stimulate this response?

Cheers,

Doug

Mark Roberts

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2005, 09:08:30 pm »
Agreed Doug,

I would be interested to read about this product.
Its boring 'wading' through the bickering and thread hijacking going on. In some ways its a shame some of the larger manufactures dont come on here and post. It would certainly stop the amount of guessing going on.

All I wanna know is - does is do what it says on the tin, and can it save/make me money  ;)

This forum needs a 'chill pill' sometimes.

Mark

A J B

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2005, 09:14:12 pm »
It strikes me if your into Allerg-stop  you'll slag off craftex
 If you tried their products . You will find they are Excellent.

Over the years i've tried several different companies products.

This is why i buy my chemicals from lots of different suppliers,
I cherry pick the best particular product for each scenario.

The vast majority of chemicals i use come from Craftex. Not through
Blind predjudice, but because when compared to loads of other products
my considered opinion is that they are the best for what i want them to do!!!

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2005, 10:25:53 pm »
Hi Guys,

Am I the only person confused by this .

Someone mentions a new product and immediately several people zoom in with comments about Triclosan, whatever that is.

It's like someone is priming people to react.

What have Craftex done to stimulate this response?

Cheers,

Doug

It confuses me too, Doug!

With regard to Marks comments about larger manufacturers (and in fact larger carpet cleaning organisations) I think a lot of people would be surprised if they knew who a lot of the members, that don't ever post, actually were.

Larger manufacturers understand that a lot of what is posted here is subjective and they realise that getting involved is simply an opportunity for someone to have a go. It doesn't matter what you say there is always someone who will disagree with you.

Goron, I have to say that I agree with RM's post, whether intentional or not, you have now created a suspicion that at least one of their products contains triclosan! What prompted you to make the comment in the first place?

Regards

Mike