Sorry 'Dry' made a mistake and deleted your message :-\

please post it again

sorry

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Neil Grainger

Re: why am I a Laughing stock
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:42:49 am »
Mike, why have you locked previous thread, It went off topic late last night but when all are sober it should get back on track.

Freedom of speach is starting to dissappear from this forum.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:01:21 am »
I presume they are laughing at your £500 a week

If you are happy  you decide what you want to earn.

If you do have an abudance of customers you could earn more.

Or you could try to increase your sale when you get to the house.

Why just clean one room etc

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:07 am »
I'm sure it's going to continue on in here Neil ::)

His post was something aimed at me, only 2 sentences, basically the title says it all.

And I don't think an answer even needs giving it, he's done a pretty good demolition job on himself without any help from anyone else :)

from edge2edge

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:04:48 am »
David on a slightly lighter note which presprays do you use.Regards Alan (swindon)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:48:47 am »
Neil, the other topic was getting a bit silly, I locked it out off respect for Kinder clean who started a valid topic which was hijacked with petty squabbling.

its not about censorship and I'm all in favour of free speech, but lets try and remember that the questions asked here are sometimes a request for help & understanding and if the answers given ignore the original post then perhaps its better to just let them rest.

and also I saw this topic started by Dry so knew the debate started on Kinder cleans topic would continue here which I though was a more suitable topic as it was started by 'Dry'  :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:58:14 am »
'Dry' asked Jim to explain why he should be considered 'a laughing stock' for remarks he made in Kinder cleans topic.

I think Jim is being a bit harsh, David ( i think that's 'drys' name) has made some comments about different incomes earned by different profession and how they compare to the amount a carpet cleaners can earn.

I would say Davids being slightly Naive in his comparison.

I think he said he's been in business for only 2yrs so rather than calling him 'a laughing stock' we should put it down to inexperience

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:32:17 pm »
I hope David (dryasabone) continues to post on here as I would like to hear more from someone who does "dry" cleaning as the main core of their business.

A lot of us have Envirodri or maybe Host, and with the new CRB from John Kelly and Solutions UK, plus the new model from Prochem, it would be worth someones experiance on here.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:03:16 pm »
Having read through last nights posts of the "full house clean" thread, I can understand why the topic was locked. The thread had become a farce.
Am sure a Morerator's task is not easy.  You have to give credit to Mike Halliday not only to stopping it when he did but also to justifing his reasons, as he has done above. Free speech in one thing but a couple of individuals trying to outdo each other in the English language became somewhat infantile

dryasabone

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:10:47 pm »
Elliott,
Its called banter ,and enhances your vocabulary.
The world is made up of different people with different views,your view may not always be correct.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
"Banter" is 'good natured raillery'.  Afraid you guys were losing the 'good natured' part of it.  Having said that, have no intention of getting into "banter", good natured or not with anyone on here ;)

dryasabone

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:05 pm »
It says that in my dictionary as well.
See, you are educating yourself !!

elliott cleaning

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
No.  Was educated many many years ago although I must admit that English is my third language so maybe a little still to learn. But "banter" was already embedded in the grey matter

derek west

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 07:27:35 pm »
elliot
he's slowly reeling you in.
derek

dryasabone

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:12 pm »
Derek,
What are you doing posting,
I thought you worked 24/7.
Does the customer know you are on the internet ?

colin thomas

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 07:45:21 pm »
Funny enough i do see where dry is coming from, when i first started working for myself i thought as an 'employed' person thinks, i used to quote for a job over the 'phone, give a price, get there and the room might have been smaller than i thought, i would knock off some money, a few times i would say something like, i've only been here an hour, i can't charge you £75, let's make it £50 thinking that £50 was great when i was used to earning about £15 an hour in my previous industry. then it dawned on me that out of that £50 i had to pay, chemicals, diesel, petrol, insurance, vat, tax accountant etc etc. i was actually not earning much at all. i soon learnt that you have to charge a realistic fee to earn a realistic living, my thoughts now are that whatever the client is prepared to pay then to them, that is a good price, if you say £100 for a dining room and they are happy with that, so be it, if they think that's a good price, everyone is happy. having said that, i do try to keep my prices on the average side so that i get loads of referals and a customer isn't afraid to have me back a couple of times a year instead of just once every 2 years because of my high price.

colin
colin thomas

dryasabone

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 08:03:28 pm »
Colin,
I do not understand people who keep banging on about the costs that you mentioned.
1,Vat if you are doing more than £1100 pwk all the other costs listed pale to insignificance.
2.insurance £90 pa =@1.70pwk a half of lager
3.Accountant £200pa to fill in end of year tax return =@£4.00pwk=fish and chips
4.chemicals @£2.00 per job<4% of price
5.Diesel. Where on earth are you travelling to ? Even if you travel 20 miles there and back it only comes to @£6.00 and refer to 3. and it is tax deductable.

I still do not understand why people pay £100,s for somebody to wet their carpets with a machine that can be bought for a starting price of @£150.
I paid £3500 for my equipment and as for other posters saying I am inexperienced I can only say I can teach someone to push a carpet cleaning machine around a room in about 10 minutes.
People should not be so far up themselves.
And still nobody can tell me where to get an unskilled job where I can take home £500 pwk

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »
If you honestly believe carpet cleaning is an unskilled job then you have answered the subject question of this topic yourself.

In fact I think you are a wind up merchant and I've got better things to do with my time than read anymore of this bilge.

dryasabone

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 08:13:28 pm »
And still no one can tell me where to get a job that takes £500pwk home with zero qualifications