woodman

recommended not to vacuum
« on: November 23, 2004, 06:54:19 pm »
I was in MultiYork today and came across a new velvet design they have on sale which states 'dry foam clean only insitu'. (I assumed by this they meant safeclean).

The guy told me that they now recommend their customers not to vacuum as often as before.The reason is the cushions are filled with duck down and the vacuum pulls the feathers out reducing the body of the cushion.They get quite a few complaints over this and this seemed the obvious course of action.

They recommend all their sofas are cleaned once a year, most zip off all round and can be taken to the dry cleaners but some are not dry cleanable or are beyond what a dry clean can do for them  and they are  concerned about who to recommend to clean these.In fact at present they do not recommend any one. So who dry foam cleans the velvet?

I got the feeling they were not impressed by Safe Clean although I have to stress that nothing of the sort was said.

Big_Fish

Re: recommended not to vacuum
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:02:49 pm »
We regularly go to an independent furniture store to spot clean items that have got marks on from the lorry etc.
We also go to their customers if a mark has appeared during delivery. They are nice little 10 minute jobs with a nice profit.

Dreading the day however when we get asked to clean a whole suite. Most of the furniture stocked is expensive but is not that well made. The composition tests on the majority of the stuff says walk away!

Why are manufacturers making pretty furniture that is a nightmare to clean?

Nicky

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 07:23:12 pm »
Trevor,

I would have thought that if feather-loss was such a problem, they should look to the inter-lining material before advising customers to reduce sensible routine maintenance.

What was the fibre composition if the velvet?

Big_Fish

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 07:35:47 pm »
Sorry, should have said, some of the furniture I mentioned earlier has the same guidelines as the MultiYork brand.
Have also seen labels advising against vacuuming.
have come to the conclusion that cheap linings are being used that are not up to the job.

I read somewhere last Christmas that two thirds of the furniture purchased in DFS and alike, with nothing to pay for 12 months and then 3 years interest free credit, will be worn out and beyond cleaning before the last payment is due :o

We live in a throw away society.

Nicky

Derek

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:46:02 pm »
Nicky

You never said a truer word ....
a few years ago I was in the presence of the MD of one of the UK's major manufacturer groups also present was the senior member of another powerful organisation within the industry.

(Pardon me for being discreet but I do not want to use names for obvious reasons)

It was quite openly declared by them that modern day furniture had a life of approximation of five years.

Now they could have been pulling my leg????
Derek

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 10:17:49 pm »
Now they could have been pulling my leg?

No, Little Brother................. It would have come off  ;D ;D ;D