woodman

Theory on Pile Reversal
« on: October 27, 2004, 05:35:54 pm »
Some years ago trials were carried out on the theory that pile reverasl was caused by electro-magnetic fields generated by household wiring and a company came up with a product that was a conductive layer to be fitted within the carpet or underaly to correct this or rather prevent it.

Trials carried out at the time were very good but nothing seems to have come of it as we still see pile reversal on a regular basis.

Has any one heard of this company(the product was called neutralec) or know if any underlay or carpet has it installed.

Dynafoam

Re: Theory on Pile Reversal
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 06:37:44 pm »
Hi Trevor,

I must be the 'exception that proves the rule' as I seldom see pile reversal.

Reversal of pile attributable to foot traffic, commonly referred to as 'shading' is encountered daily, but the 'crop circle' variety of mysterious origin is another matter.

Perhaps my magnetic personality corrects it  ;D - Could be a wholly new career  ;)

Derek

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 04:06:21 am »
John

The saying goes that...."its only expensive carpets that show shading" ...Maybe you mix in the wrong (crop) circles Big Brother.

I do hear that at least one manufacturer claims that they have conquered the phenomenon of shading by setting the pile tufts at a slight angle rather than straight up

Derek

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 10:33:01 pm »
John

The saying goes that...."its only expensive carpets that show shading" ...Maybe you mix in the wrong (crop) circles Big Brother.

I do hear that at least one manufacturer claims that they have conquered the phenomenon of shading by setting the pile tufts at a slight angle rather than straight up

Derek

Derek,

Whoever coined that phrase must never have seen a polypropylene 'bedroom' carpet.

I cannot see that whatever angle the mill sets the tufts, they can resist the stresses imposed by a curved traffic lane or spin-spots.

BB John.

Robert_O

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 11:19:59 pm »
Hi

I think that the Neutralec wasn't considered viable to sell to customers on the off chance that shading may occur. Rylux Carpets were involved in a great deal of research surrounding shading, and they pioneered carpet that would not exhibit shading by setting the pile angle to such a degree that there was no way it could fall any other way than the natural pile direction. I believe this system of manufacturing carpets was called the Trutrack.

Other research was done on the correction of shading which I believe was limited, but had some success using steam to reset the pile. The problem being though that you have the natural pile direction and then the alternate pile direction, but then you have an in between no mans land where the pile has burst into every which way that clearly nothing can be done to rectify.

Often you may see specific  non foot traffic shading running over doorbars on to different types of carpet, and following on to rugs as well. This is one clear indication that Shading is attributed to something other than a fault in manufacture.

Regards

Robert

woodman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 08:58:00 am »
Hi Robert

Shading was for some regarded as a  manufacturing fault but no longer and hasn't been now for quite a few years as the disclaimer on the backs of the samples indicate.

There are one or two manufacturers who to this day will not accept that their carpets suffer from this,( I could name them but I think it's better not to), when it's obvious that they do.

There is a school of thought that says pile reversal and shading are two diffirent things as Shading is thought to occur from footfall while pile reversal is a phenonemon of which no one knows the answer to, at present.

Interesting what you say about Neutralec as thought this was to be used in larger installations in goverment buildings and offices etc.Seems they must have abandoned the idea.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 03:50:22 pm »
Hi Guys,

The pile reversal I dislike most is the one when I pay my tax bill :o

cheers,

Doug

Robert_O

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 01:50:03 am »
Hi Woodman

My information is somewhat old now so there may well be many more developments since.

I think that generally the manufacturers like to keep the matter as low profile as their carpets.

Regards

Robert

I wish I had a pile to do some reversal with Doug!!! :-\  :-[

woodman

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 06:20:22 pm »
Follow on from above;

I have found out that Neutralec developed a plug in EMF neutraliser, it is not to correct already existing problems but is for new installations of carpets that might be susceptible.They cost £51+VAT.

Ryalux rep assures me that they have not had one single complaint of pile reversal on their range of Trutrac carpets ;) which is quite amazing.

John must be cleaning all Ryalux carpets ;D

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 11:48:34 pm »
Hi guys

I did some work for Stoddard Templeton a few years ago on manufacturing complaints and at their headquaters in Scotland they were testing a device that you pluged into the wall sockets which was supposed to prevent Pile reversal!!

It diddnt and they still get complaints about it, i think most manufacutures?(Spelling) now inform customers about pile reversal and that it is a  phonenom(spelling)

Nick
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician