woodman

Video store bodge job New
« on: October 14, 2004, 11:11:48 am »
Took back my sons hired DVD's last night to Blockbuster Video store and as I walked in I picked up that distinctive smell, we all know the one wet carpet,moist air.

Bent down touched the floor sure enough very wet carpet tiles. Decided then to have a wander  around store inspecting the cleaning ( sad I know but we can't help ourselves can we ::)).

Right here goes:

They had basically washed the carpet using TM system (before all you TM users start, no this is no pop at you as these guys clearly had no idea how to use the system unlike all of you who I know are utter professionals,  Phew :D) pushing the soil around the store up to the edges and against doors.Brown marks every where, no distinct difference in appearance what so ever to pre cleaning.The smell was hanging in the damp air,the carpets were still wet,the waste had been thrown out the front door which was still there and foaming up in the rain.The entrance was a slip hazard as were the carpets due to obviously incorrect cleaning solution.The manager and his assistants were totally disgusted with the whole operation which had been carried out at 10am that morning (I was in there at 8.30pm) and could not understand why the carpets were still so damp and had in his opinion made the store not only appear but also smell worse than if they had just left it alone  >:(

This was the first clean on the carpet tiles carried out on a national contract no doubt, as the manager had no say over the operation at all.

Beggars belief that contracts,regardless of cost is giving to such companies who operators clearly have no idea how to clean (rush in and rush out) and use the wrong methods of cleaning.

As far as Blockbusters are (should be)  concerned this is money (literally) down the drain as this company are getting paid for a non service.As for the cleaners, don't suppose they care one jot. It's splash, then dash onto the next one.

Ray

Re: Video store bodge job
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 04:20:14 pm »
The only criteria that Blockbusters were probably interested in was the price not quality. The bottom lines how much will it cost. Go for the cheapest.

PAY PEANUTS AND YOU GET MONKEYS.

woodman

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 04:56:08 pm »

Thats the point,why bother a good vacuum would have done a better job.

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:59:46 pm »
Ray

PAY PEANUTS AND YOU GET TRUCK-MOUNTED. :D ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Big_Fish

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:17:31 pm »
We got a phone call last Saturday morning asking if we could go to a house to see if we could do something about a carpet smell. The lady sounded desperate so we went at lunchtime.

The carpet had been "cleaned" last Wednesday (3 days before) and it had taken until the Friday night to dry.
The lady told us the guy had used a truck mount and she'd expected a good job. He told her he'd been in the industry 15 years but done no tests at all. Walked in told her the price while spreading dirty water on the carpet! She watched as dirty water ran out of the hose onto the carpet which he pushed around with the wand!

Alone indoors she just wanted shot of him so paid him £50 and he left.

The lady had paid just short of £1000 for the carpet 2 years ago and was devistated, left with a dirty patchy carpet that smelled like sewage.

We spent a lot of time on it, used Cleansan and appropriate cleaning solutions leaving the carpet slightly damp and a happy customer.

Not having a dig at truck mounties either but what's it all about???

BFN ??? ???

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 09:31:44 pm »
I can never understand these fellows, after all carpet cleaning, with some training ,requires mostly common sense after that. Do they never even learn from their mistakes.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 09:50:42 pm »
As a case study explain what the truck mount operator did wrong.

For a start why did carpet take so long to dry

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 09:54:35 pm »
Woodman

If it was in this state then manager should have shut up shop due to HS if he knows what this is!

I don’t know what time these shops open but I know my local one would take me about two hours to do plus drying time, (no air movers) that would make them opening around 13.30 great planning. These times are an estimate without gum removal!

What make me die they want it so cheap, if you were the contract cleaner for the buyers office and did not empty his bin all hell would hit the fan.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 12:58:31 am »
Now I come to think about it when I worked as a Manager for the chain that has just lost 123million  Despite having our carpets cleaned after closing time and working to gone midnight the carpets were often wet next mornibg with mud on the surface then the puch chairs used to make the store look like silverstone car park.

Derek

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 07:33:02 am »
Guys

It just goes to show that having the best equipment doesn't automatically mean the best job.

Many laugh at the talk on these boards about training, surveys, testing, prespray, agitation...in their eyes all unnecessary jobs.  One comment to a colleague was "whilst you are messing about with all that I have done the job and moved onto the next"

Carrying out these basic procedures is what makes a true 'professional' and goes a long way in leaving a satisfied customer.

Sadly this tale is all too familiar

Derek