cleanability

yep ! prices again !
« on: July 26, 2006, 06:34:48 pm »
Did a job today. About 12 X 14 took 35 mins charged £35. I'm happy with that. The customer had a qoute for those dimensions from a small CC not a franchise and they quoted her £80. They said they use special chemicals. Call me a soft touch but my conscience wouldnt let me take £80 from anyone for carpet cleaning for 1 hour. Its not as if its a skilled job is it.

Chris

maxcarpets

Re: yep ! prices again !
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 06:39:58 pm »
I cleaned a hall/stairs/landing for a lady who paid £180.00 for the same job last year! Is this possible, more to the point, is this fair?

the red carpet

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:44:39 pm »
how much does your average customer cost you in advertising though?
when i last checked it was costing me on average £35 to get through the door.

My min charge is also £35 but when i do these jobs i know for a fact im doing them for nothing
then you got chems
diesel
time taken to quote
and all the rest, think about it they have got a nice clean carpet and  you have just lost money ??? dosent seem right does it, even at £80 theres not exactly loads of profit to be made on these small jobs

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 06:50:20 pm »
Chris, how long did it take you to get to the job & home again? over 15mins each way?

then you made less than £35 an hour without taking out your working cost, this is not enough.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Neil Grainger

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 07:04:32 pm »
Are you offering just a clean.

My prices are what i would call middle of the road but my customers are never just getting a clean.

Included in price are free re-visits to clear any accidents that happen. You could say they are getting a years worth of insurance. My Customers love this and it makes them feel that they are getting a service not just a clean.

Why is £80 an hour not worth it? look at your costs, set up time, moving furniture, travel time and your marketing costs just to get them to phone you. People dont mind paying if you give them that little bit extra.

I put my prices up last year, i do fewer jobs but earn more money. Never quote over phone unless they ask for it. I find that the want over the phone price people are looking for the cheapest but want the earth. Dont mind giving them the earth but they have to pay.

I spent 2 hrs in dentist and they charged me £340 for the service of a root filling.
Why is trying to charge as high as you can a problem if you are offering a service.

Just my thoughts

Neil

Cleantime Europe Limited

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 07:07:57 pm »
Trouble is, in the customers eyes, its only cleaning. The machine does most of the work for you. They dont expect to pay much for carpet cleaning. You can have all the training in the world and it wont matter, its only cleaning!

If you want more money, get a trade or find a better job, this is only cleaning!  ;)

cleanability

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 07:11:31 pm »
You can justify say £50 to £70 in your own mind eg travelling time, advertising etc but when it comes down to it I wouldnt pay an unskilled worker for a service at those rates. These rates are getting near some solicitors rates. Remember we are doing a job which anyone with half a brain can do with 1 hours training. Could anyone with 1 hours training build a wall, plaster a ceiling or fit a central heating system. And these tradesmen would be happy with the rates some of you are justifying. Dont get me wrong I love carpet cleaning even though I used to repair missile systems in the army, and its making a living for me.

Chris

Neil Grainger

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 07:17:31 pm »
Educate your customers then.

Is cleaning blood of a sofa from a child having a nose bleed just cleanig, think of all the problems that could arise.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 07:28:14 pm »
Your having a laugh, Builders Plummers and sparkys are all up in arms because most were self tought and are having trouble getting their certs because they have life experience and no written qualifications.

The fact that these industries have major problems with reliability and skill levels and ripping off customers is all over the press all the time. If you find any good trade people the customers dont mind paying if you are reliable and good, this goes for all trades including Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning.

Try putting your prices up, I bet your customers wont mind if you are giving them what they want.

Cleantime Europe Limited

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 08:15:11 pm »
You cant call carpet cleaning a trade - no way!

Cleanability is correct in what he saying, thats why cleaners on here moan about not making a living, too much competition etc etc. Yes its true in all true trades, but anyone can buy machinery, put water in it and off they go within 1 hour of receiving their equipment. You cannot compare this to trades, cos it simply isint. Customers know this too - they're not stupid. They can hire a machine for a tennor down the local store and do it themselves and they know whats involved.

Lets have a reality check here, we are carpet cleaners not brain surgeons!   :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:21:08 pm »
I'm starting to feel guilty that I earn £80-£100 a working hour ;D ;D

after all I'm only a carpet cleaner.

I earn a great living, have no competition and all from a squirty-sucky machine.

when will this dream end.

Mike

Cleantime Europe Limited

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 08:22:55 pm »
Where do you work - on the moon?   ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 08:28:39 pm »
east yorkshire :D

28 carpet cleaner within 10miles of me but none of them I consider competition

Mike

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 08:30:20 pm »
have to say I agree with mike our min charge is £50 15 x 20 room
we would do for 70 depends on area we are going to ;D
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

cleanability

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 08:34:07 pm »
I'm starting to think theres a conspiracy here lolllllllll maybe the £80-£100 an hour guys dont exist but are really carpet cleaning equipment companies. Just here to make the rest of us buy equipment and chemicals striving for that hourly rate. Ok its a long shot but makes sense lollllllll

maxcarpets

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 08:54:44 pm »
Very good days ! but also very bad days. I'm not sure that £80 / £100 per hour can be done 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. But even so, getting a very nice living from my business.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 08:58:41 pm »
If you consider that you are offering the same service as someone getting a rug docter from B&Q then maybe you should be charging £35 an hour.

If you are working in area's were the average earning are in the £100,000's were Max works in wokingham I dont consider trying to get £100 an hour as to extreme. I use Wokingham because it is the wealthiest area mile for mile in the country and being cheap will not do you any favours in the long run, People will ask why are you so cheap because as you say they are not stupid.

You are a business owner and not just a carpet cleaner.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 09:03:34 pm »
Max

Why would you want to be cleaning for 8 hrs a day 5-6 days a week, you'll be knackered in a year. 5 hrs Max.  When do you do your marketing and quotes if you are cleaning for 8 hrs a day.

I would have to change 4 times a day at the moment because of the heat. I was ringing wet when I finnished my first job today.

Dave Roelants

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 09:13:17 pm »
Cleanability and cleantime,
Why did you buy equipment at all, get it sold, buy yourself a bottle of vanish and then you can really compete with your customers!
Hey just thought, then we wouldn't seem so expensive either
Best Regards, Dave,
Lakeland Carpet Cleaning, 1st in the UK with 4 to the door!

Cleantime Europe Limited

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 09:27:49 pm »
east yorkshire :D

28 carpet cleaner within 10miles of me but none of them I consider competition

Mike

Why dont you consider them competition? Are you saying your superior to them?