mark_roberts

Yellow Pages time again
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:35 am »
It's that time of year again when the yellow pages rep is due.

Must say yellow pages has served me well for 15 years but this year it hasent paid for its self.  Maybe we have just caught up with the rest of society over here!

So should I forget it altogether or just have a small entry and what should the message contain in such a small space.

Also in relation with yell.com how can I best track if jobs are from it or my website. I have a tracking phone number but most people just say got you from the net.

Thanks
Mark

Radek Jablonski

Re: Yellow Pages time again
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:59:47 am »
You can track if people are clicking your website link on YP.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:31:43 am »
Set up a landing page on your website for Yell.com customers.

You can then track from analytics how many visits its had. Dont include any navigation to it from your main site just a squeeze page to capture data or get them to call. You can use a tracking number on that page also just specifically for it.

We told our YP guy this year how much we were willing to pay as we have the data of calls/clicks.
Usually we compare what we are paying per click with Google and tell him he has to match or beat it. Which he always does just to keep us.

With the directory again tracking numbers. I decided a couple of years ago to remove any website links from the ads for 2 reasons. 1. who seriously uses yellow pages then goes online, 2. Its easier to track.

I have found over the years we get more and more book enquiries and I put that down to the fact that there is less competition in the book. I am also finding yell.com is working better. My theory is that there is still a Yellow Pages generation out there but are now online and still trust YP so use Yell.com rather than other listings.

Also YP has a "Partnership" with Google which means they can often be found near top of organic listings depending where you are and what you are searching.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:58 am »
It's worth keeping some sort of prescience on yp for people that don't use the internet and past customers.

Simon

stuart_clark

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:53:00 pm »
Mark I have a quarter page advert in three directory's , they work for me, they cost me approx £3400 a year but bring in about £12000 of new work, ten years ago it would have been three times that but thats change for you ie internet social networks ect

I plan to keep yp for the near future and as long as I am making money from it, I think its worth keeping

stuart

mark_roberts

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »
Stuart

Can i ask a favour and say email me you ad please.

Mk.roberts@ntlworld.com

Thanks

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:14:17 pm »
Last year I went for a piddly little advert just have something there I may as well have not bothered Id recommend all or nothing.

Allan Simmons advertises big everywhere ok he has more mouths to feed but you can afford a few loss leaders, you just need to spend on an alternative back up plan. As silver surfers are getting more and more yp will drop off even more but don't forget that some of your previous clientele will look for you on the book.

Shaun

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:12 pm »
Depends what you pay for the ad?