heritagecleaning

Yellow pages / Yell or not?
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:43 am »
It's an old question isn't it. I bet they're dear these days, but then they wouldn't still be around if no one used it.

I really don't know the answer  ???

*Hector*

Re: Yellow pages / Yell or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:35 am »
I use it.....

To wedge the shed door open.. though it is not as good as it used to be, as it is only half the size  ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

heritagecleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:50 am »
Easier to hit the kids with now though  ;)

I think it'll be yell.com that might be more useful. Only one way to find out I suppose...

heritagecleaning

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »
I now have one of their reps coming round. Already on the phone they're bullpoopting on about SEO, websites, mobile apps and you can bet I'll get all the same from the rep.

Why can't I just get a price???

Neil Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »
When you get a price, half it, then pay that if you want to go with yell.
They're struggling, they can't compete with adwords and the book is used in small towns by the older generation.
I know someone who is a rep for them.

Dennis

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »
They were recently delivered in this area and I've seen two customers put them in the recycling this week alone and its only Tuesday!
Plus mine went in last week.  :o And no, I'm not in it anymore.  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:59 pm »
If you look at your local yp directory and if there are people with big'ish adverts you can be fairly sure they are getting business from it. Likewise yell.com, some people are paying £3,500 for a sponsored listing,(guaranteed top spot) again, they wouldn't do it if they weren't getting a return.
I think people judge yp and others on how they used to perform before the Internet age and if you look at it that way they are nowhere near as good as they used to be but people still use them and carpet cleaners keep advertising with them for that reason.

Simon

Allan Simmons

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:04 pm »
Older generation are still using it, we get a good ROI.  Just nail the rep into the ground on price, they'll take it, they're desperate to sell the space.

The calls we get from YP book are almost exclusively the older generation, who's average job value is also higher too.  They don't come back as often as the younger generation though, sometimes not at all  :( but i think there's still a few more years good return from the book from the older generation IF you can get the cost down.

david@zap-clean

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »
Older generation are still using it, we get a good ROI.  Just nail the rep into the ground on price, they'll take it, they're desperate to sell the space.

The calls we get from YP book are almost exclusively the older generation, who's average job value is also higher too.  They don't come back as often as the younger generation though, sometimes not at all  :( but i think there's still a few more years good return from the book from the older generation IF you can get the cost down.

That's a good bit of info - Tnx Allan.

Google rules the world! For how long?
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

cannon

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:58:18 pm »
I think yellow pages and yell.com could be worth a punt again at the right price.

The book because as Allan says the older generation still use it, The grey pound as I call them.

Yell.com do very well in the organic listings, the problem being "IF" people do click they are presented with a list of names and numbers, being top of this list is very expensive the next price bracket down i believe work on a rotation system.

Some people like a list of name and numbers as opposed to clicking on individual websites, price shoppers and sales people especially  >:(

Like i say though maybe worth a punt at the right price.

stuart_clark

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:41:34 pm »
I have been in the business 23 years and have been in the yellow pages for 16 and up till the last couple of years ive had quite a good return, but i spend about £4000 a year with them
I think this might be my last year in the book unless they drop the price significantly

heritagecleaning

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 07:48:48 pm »
I'll probably give the book and yell.com a try. I just really don't want to have to listen to 2 hours of rubbish about their web design, videos, adwords, smartphone apps and on and on...

Maybe I should be very clear about this from the start of the meeting - it'll save us all some time.

derek west

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:52:30 pm »
the book is worth it if your in the centre of the said books catchment area, the yellow book does not work for me persoanlly as i am on the border of several.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »
Yellow pages: Older generation will still use
Yell.com: Someone please explain to me why when your prefered internet page already has a search facility on it, why would you want to bring up yell, thomson etc to do a search?

david@zap-clean

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 06:31:05 pm »
Yellow pages: Older generation will still use
Yell.com: Someone please explain to me why when your prefered internet page already has a search facility on it, why would you want to bring up yell, thomson etc to do a search?

Yell.com appears in google search listings... a bit like a customer using TACCA or NCCA in search results I guess.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »
I don't know what your PC picture looks like but even at the top of this page as I type I can see the google search bar..... from which I can find whatever I want. So why type yell.com into it to bring up another page and then do the search.

Allan Simmons

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:56 pm »
The way I look at it is people are unlikely to use Yell.com as they know it's just a paid listing site, but MIGHT click onto a trade association site who are supposedly only going to display qualified trade members, thus reducing the risk of choosing/using someone through the trade association site, if that makes sense.

mark_roberts

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »
I would use yell as I think the search for plumbers in Luton (for example) will be more specific and easier to read that google.

Having said that its not very often and I also get very little work from it.

Mark