JW1

Re: dont work in the rain!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 11:33:31 am »
an interesting comparison would be to compare the turnover and size of the rounds of those who work in the rain , to those who dont....i know where my money would go!!

im 2 weeks behind due to weather,no shortage of work need 6 full days every week to keep stright,but wont work in the rain

Same here, I hate working in the rain. I never do it. I just try to catch up when the weather improves.

I can't speak for wfp, but I found that trad work was a nightmare in the rain.

lee_dewing

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 02:25:47 pm »
thanks gerard.

i do work in drizzle and try to box clever doing customers i know won't be in,
but like your self i hate losing money seem to earn well one week then it's followed by a medoco week's earnings.

i know some might say your not charging enough or your not quick enough, both are probably true.

but i am trying all the time to build a better round, putting under priced work up or dumping.
rome wasn't built in a day :(
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

peter holley

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:42 pm »
with climate change , and the increase in everyday living, we have to work in the rain....(apart from very heavy rain).... and the custies realise this!

peter holley

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 10:47:23 pm »
the ice caps are melting :o and our planet is in trouble, but thats another debate....your right though 2003 was a scorching dry summer.... i remember it well as it was the year ( summer) that my mum was ill and died :(.... the weather is iether too hot and dry or tooo wet...there is no balance.....

peter holley

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 11:07:57 pm »
the ice caps are melting :o and our planet is in trouble, but thats another debate....your right though 2003 was a scorching dry summer.... i remember it well as it was the year ( summer) that my mum was ill and died :(.... the weather is iether too hot and dry or tooo wet...there is no balance.....
sorry about your mother but im talking about 2006 when there was record tempatures 90 degrees plus had to finish at 2.30 pm absolutly wasted with the heat
i remember it well :o i was cleaning a nursing home at 8am and after 20 mins i was soaking through... it was worse than working in damp weather... no energy etc...the heat was unbearable

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 08:29:37 am »
You can choose whether to work in the rain/dark. Its about time we as a body got rid of this customer perception of not cleaning in the rain. The idea stems from the past victorian/edwardian times of when w/cers used rat tails and chamois/scrim to clean and rain drops caused the polishing to streak. Nowadays with the use of squeegees and wfp things have moved on.

You may not want to clean in the rain if you dont like getting wet but as a group we should push that its OK for the rest of the w/cers that want/need to work.

Window cleaning is a 365 24/7 business.

ftp

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 08:56:36 am »
Good point there Jeff, there's two reasons i don't work in the rain 1. i don't like getting wet and 2. the biggest reason for me is the customers views. If i could remove the second reason then i would occasionally work through the rain but it's the customer i worry about more than anything.

peter holley

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 09:07:59 pm »
well! id have plenty of tips,  :D

matt

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 09:37:01 pm »
Good point there Jeff, there's two reasons i don't work in the rain 1. i don't like getting wet and 2. the biggest reason for me is the customers views. If i could remove the second reason then i would occasionally work through the rain but it's the customer i worry about more than anything.

if i could remove the 2nd reason, i would most prob do till after lunch in the rain then pack it up

but alot of my customers are older and will find it hard to swallow the " its ok to clean in the rain " arguement

peter holley

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 09:48:01 pm »
i understand the predicument... but it has been so wet where i live.... and the past few years have been the same... i have had to just get on with it!   the custies understand and are fine... i dont like getting wet...but i have no choice! its the same for brickies , scaffolders etc.