alansavvi

Employers liability Insurance
« on: August 03, 2005, 03:27:15 pm »
Help!

Has anyone purchased employers liability insurance for window cleaners. I have a reach and wash company and we dont use ladders ever, yet quotes that I am getting are about £1500 per year just to employ someone part time. This is scandalous. Insurers know that many good commercial window cleaners dont use ladders anymore thus greatly reducing risk to staff yet they are unwilling to drop there prices. This is called a 'cartel'. We must fight this injustice and plain robbery. Does anyone know a good insurer who is cheap?

alansavvi

jakeandmia

Re: Employers liability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 04:35:27 pm »
Hi

I had this problem myself,only need someone to help me when I need them and it was going to cost a fortune to acquire this insurance.So in the end I told the guy who was helping to register self employed and I would pay for his public liability.This frightened him and he never worked for me again.What I do now for larger jobs is to get a fellow insured wc to help,thus keeping my costs down.

WAYNE

tomtommy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 04:53:44 pm »
Hi Alansavvi

Yep - we face the same horror - we too are wfp but do occasionally use ladders if absolutely necessary

But - I think that you're only obliged in law to have emp. liability insurance if you employ 5 or more people

However, the insurance is there in the event that you or your employees are injured

Re wfp - Our insurers told us that as far as underwriters are concerned we're still window cleaners and that puts is in the most dangerous profession going.

Mad, eh?

Tom (uhps)

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 05:16:35 pm »

for our hopefully soon to be sold cleaning company we use camberford law plc
they will normally come up with some good rates and they normally base it on turnover done and projected

sorry but i dont have a link for them but there based in london

regards,
stuart@skypole systems

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 07:40:57 pm »
My insurance is 25.oo per month for 5 million employees was 45.oo per month but wasnt allowed to go up a ladder

The Bear

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 07:45:08 pm »
My insurance is 25.oo per month for 5 million employees was 45.oo per month but wasnt allowed to go up a ladder

You have 5 million employees?

CWCS

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 07:47:29 pm »
thats sum round you have matey :D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 02:58:11 pm »
easyclean who are you insured wirh for £45.00 a month
thanks
dave

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:43:28 pm »
sorry i have 5 million liability i will  email with insurance details not sure where i stand with advertising laws on here not sure if i can put thier name up?

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 07:44:26 pm »
sorry i have 5 million liability i will  email with insurance details not sure where i stand with advertising laws on here not sure if i can put thier name up?

Yes, Easyclean, stick the link up.

But don't confuse self-employed pulic liability insurance with employer's liability insurance.

One is just for yourself, if your self employed and the other is to protect you from liabilities stemming from having employees.

Personally, I think 5 million is a bit over the top, but I once had to get 5 million pounds worth when I got a large Hilton Hotel contract.  So I guess Easyclean cleans some large company who have stipulated the same.

To cause 5 million pounds worth of 'damage' must take some doing!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:54:54 pm »
But - I think that you're only obliged in law to have emp. liability insurance if you employ 5 or more people
I've been told that its starts with One..

I think I've solved the problem by setting someone up with van and equipment and a round and taking a % back (rent a round) (they also do thier own work as well)and when I need aditional help they come and help
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:41:42 pm »
Tosh yes i do a lot of big buildings council,poilice authority they will only accept tenders form companys with 5 mill min.

My insurance is £265.oo per year thats for two directors working. I have employees liability which costs app 45 per month this is with commercial insurance services www.insureeasy.co.uk

gaza

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 02:35:34 am »
TOSH: Take it youve lost the Hilton contract to some one on this site? GO N SHAKE HIS HAND NOW, JUST BEFORE YOU STRANGLE HIM, NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A GENTLEMANS AGREEMENT

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 08:37:06 am »

Yes, Easyclean, stick the link up.

But don't confuse self-employed pulic liability insurance with employer's liability insurance.

One is just for yourself, if your self employed and the other is to protect you from liabilities stemming from having employees.

Personally, I think 5 million is a bit over the top, but I once had to get 5 million pounds worth when I got a large Hilton Hotel contract.  So I guess Easyclean cleans some large company who have stipulated the same.

To cause 5 million pounds worth of 'damage' must take some doing!

The 5 million is more about injuring a person I think.  Dropping a pole or ladder onto the head of a young person with high earning potential and brain damaging them for life would eat a huge chunk out of 5 million.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 09:02:20 am »
Gaza, Tosh didn't lose it, he let it go :-\
Way too much hassle for too little money.
It's one of those jobs where they go for the most competetive price and when you do get it you have to keep chasing for your money >:(
The loser in the end is the Hotel as they can never keep a window cleaner for more than a few months.
Employers liability is a real crippler for small turnover businesses such as window cleaners.
Public Liability is still relatively cheap (and not a legal requirement) and for around or below a £100 you can get cover for a million or so.
Why on earth larger companies insist on you having cover for as much as 5 million truly perplexes me ???
Just how is a situation going to occur when a claim of that size will be made against you?
The circumstances would have to be pretty unusual to say the least, and we are talking about normal window cleaning here, not work being done at excessive heghts or unique circumstances.
I understand that Employers Liability will be more expensive, it covers you in the event of claims made against you by those you employ, you know, the, "I hurt my back because I was asked to work in windy conditions and the wind made me lose control of my ladder/pole (whatever) and 'claimsomewonga.com' got me £10,000 in compensation."

But just why it is so horrendously so expensive beats me, though of course the compensation and blame culture we now live is a major factor in that I know.
But it doesn't seem to take in the real chances of a claim occuring inside the specific parameters of our trade, and in particular if you are a WFP company.

Ultimately we must all shoulder some blame for the skyrocketing prices all insurances, get rear ended in a low speed car accident and there is at least a grand of 'compo' waiting for you, and unfortunately there are few that don't claim it, even when they don't deserve it.

Mind how you go.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

dai

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2005, 07:21:59 pm »
When the Lloyds names lost a packet a few years ago they were sqealing like stuck pigs. We should have known then that we were about to be hit with huge premium increases. The whole system is geared to ensure that the rich get richer. Dai

alansavvi

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 08:55:30 am »
Can i just add to this discussion that if you were getting employers liability cover the minimum stated by law is £10 million. So al you that are stating that you have £5 million should read your policies because you clearly do not have the right cover.

I have now obtained a quote from Zurich for £875 per year, can anyone beat that?

Lets not blame ourselves for the high premiums, it is because there is not enough pressure on insurers to lower premiums now many sensible window cleaners have eliminated ladders, the people who say they represent our industry, the national federation of window cleaners are doing nothing about this which is why i have not joined this toothless organization.

CWCS

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 03:46:14 pm »
alansavvi how many employees does that cover you for? :o

CWCS

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 03:50:50 pm »
alansavvi how many employees does that cover you for? :o
I think the 5 million is for the public liability cover not employers liability mixing issues here. :-\

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 09:02:58 pm »
Can i just add to this discussion that if you were getting employers liability cover the minimum stated by law is £10 million. So al you that are stating that you have £5 million should read your policies because you clearly do not have the right cover

Idont think ill bother replying again as im sure im just repeating my self.
I said that i had 5 million for myself as a self employed window cleaner.When i added an employee my cover was then 5 million for me and partner and 10 million for an employee.This wasnt asked at the start of this post just how much we had and what it costs?