Washers

Keeping Rubber Straight
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »
Hi all,
I am currently using an Unger Ergotec squegee with Unger soft rubber which has the quick change channel.

My problem is that when I look along the rubber 9 times out of ten it is like a profile map of the Alps, it is high and low in the channel. Consequently it is not making good contact with the glass and I am getting drags and patches. I have to keep checking it, releasing the retaining button and running my finger along the rubber to straighten/level it out. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Saw a video on 'You Tube' where a guy was using a brass clip at each end of the channel and pulled the rubber really tight, like a bow string. With these Unger jobs the rubber is just retained by two small teeth in the middle leaving the rubber to float about.

wfp master

Re: Keeping Rubber Straight
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:47:30 pm »
try dog earing it that will keep the rubber tight at the ends.  ;)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:40:28 pm »

Sorry, no it won't.  Dog earing just holds the ends of the rubber closer to the glass so water doesn't escape under it so easily.

I could never get on with any of the quick change channels.  I prefer the original style where the rubber is held at each end by a brass end clip (only in brass/stainless channels, of course).  You settle one end in then stretch the rubber slightly and fit the other end.  This holds the rubber still in the channel.

wfp master

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:54:07 pm »

Sorry, no it won't.  Dog earing just holds the ends of the rubber closer to the glass so water doesn't escape under it so easily.

I could never get on with any of the quick change channels.  I prefer the original style where the rubber is held at each end by a brass end clip (only in brass/stainless channels, of course).  You settle one end in then stretch the rubber slightly and fit the other end.  This holds the rubber still in the channel.
well it does on my channel thats why it doesnt move around at the ends.

steveo22

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:55:18 pm »
Mines like that too?? Does it make much of a difference if the rubber is not tort??

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:20:22 pm »
i use the unger ergotec swivelock squeegy and NEVER have a problem!great bit of kit.i usually change the rubber every 2-4 wks.i never bother with dog earing.i leave v.little round the edges anyway cos a just mop to the edge of the frame.noticed a little wobble in the rubber from a side view sometimes but doesnt affect my squeegy technique!! ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

jonnyald

Re: Keeping Rubber Straight New
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:44 pm »
i think when the quick release bites down on the rubber at those 2 places it pinches it enough to distort .  i sometimes use an unger swivellock and these dont have a quick release . the american swivellocks Do have a quick release  and look better design