geefree

Re: Who's got his head screwed on?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 08:58:42 pm »
Well said dia

I for one would never spend £30,000 on a van and setup or anywhere near that.
And no mines not a DIY setup but my next one will be.

I for one have better things to spend my earnings on than try to go round with the the top of the range van and equipment.

At the end of the day they all do the same job.
And a competent WFP user i doubt will NOT make any more money no matter what kit they have.

Paul

I THOUGHT THAT WAS A REAL FLY ON MY SCREEN LOL. LOL.

jonah

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »
Its the little things in life that give us pleasure  ;D

geefree

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 09:04:13 pm »
 :D ;D

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 09:17:45 pm »
What advice have I given then?
Anyone?

I think that some apart from having a very poor grasp of business theory, have got literacy problems.

The best tool that you've got DJW is your brain, and at least you are asking the right questions.Of course different strategies work. Matt's is okay, he aquired a 20yr old round that is mainly in one street, trads the bottoms, and is prepared to have a cuppa with 80yr olds that don't see a soul from one week to the next.(are these the same ones that send him home with a guilt complex when it's raining?).

So different strategies work, and some work better than others. What drives our business at the minute is change. The internet for one, with widespread broadband and online payments you no longer need to collect. Changes in technology- although wfp has been around for about ten years it has now gained widespread acceptance and the kit is cheap and it works. Changes in legislation WAHD means ladders are no longer the first option. I could go on.

Dia, and Matt, and Me, and you are all beneficaries of this. But which of us really takes advantage? Dia in his £350 van? Matt with his make do pole?

Buying a 30k setup isn't an option for you at the moment, and it's an extreme example, but it is something you should aspire to.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 09:24:33 pm »
The person who's got their head screwed on right is the one who turns up regularly, clean and presentable, in an approachable manner, who does the job efficiently.
If you turn up in a brand new vehicle some customers think you're charging them too much to be able to afford a new vehicle. If you turn up in an old clapped old banger some customers may think you are a dole cheat of disrepute, so the happy medium is a clean, presentable, roadworthy vehicle that looks like it's been taxed and MOT'd so the customer thinks you'll turn up again.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 09:24:50 pm »
Each to their own lads,... its all down to how you personally want to run your business,... if you want to expand, if you're getting big commercial contracts, then you'll obviously make different decisions than if you're happy tipping away at your established domestic round.
I don't think that there is a better or worse way, and definitely not a right or wrong way in a general sense,... it can only be better or worse/ right or wrong for you personally and your unique business.

matt

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:14 pm »

The best tool that you've got DJW is your brain, and at least you are asking the right questions.Of course different strategies work. Matt's is okay, he aquired a 20yr old round that is mainly in one street, trads the bottoms, and is prepared to have a cuppa with 80yr olds that don't see a soul from one week to the next.(are these the same ones that send him home with a guilt complex when it's raining?).

that cup of tea brings a little joy to some1's life, its not so much  mine, as i know deep down i should be out earning, but hey,i get a little warn glow inside knowing ive made some1's day as ive taken a little time out for a chat

Dia, and Matt, and Me, and you are all beneficaries of this. But which of us really takes advantage? Dia in his £350 van? Matt with his make do pole?

my make do pole, is the lightest you wil get, i was suffering from a bad neck, for allmost a year, but hey, i guess thats my fault in someway, it stopped when i went to disney for my holiday, then a few weeks after i returned it was back, i had to do something, give up the work or look for idea's, now i had known about Jeff's pole for a long time, but im of the opinion that if its not broke, dont fix it, so i was happy with the unger pole, i changed to the fishing pole and asits so light its solved my neck pain, i can honestly say , my pole has nothing to do with money, nothing to do with making-do, its all about lightness

Buying a 30k setup isn't an option for you at the moment, and it's an extreme example, but it is something you should aspire to.

i know this isnt directed at me ( as i guess you will say im too cheap and too much of a waster for such a system ), but you can aspire to owning a 30 K setup, i will aspire to living life and enjoying it ( that 30 K will come in handy in my quest for lifes enjoyment

i felt the need to reply,

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 09:41:18 pm »
My strategy is always to have a strategy, even when it's wrong. The internet,technology,double income families, upvc making the job easier, cons and gutter cleans rapidly expanding our service base, legislation legitimising us........

I'm just giving the theory.

DJW the truth is that despite the bad days, you have a tiger by tail, don't let go.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 09:45:29 pm »

i dont want to cause a fight but ....why should we want to aspire to that? Personally i like to keep my overheads as low as possible,i hate spending any more on my gear than i have to.Its like saying we should all aspire to owning a range rover when in the majority of situations a mondeo will do the job just as well

matt

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 09:46:48 pm »

i dont want to cause a fight but ....why should we want to aspire to that? Personally i like to keep my overheads as low as possible,i hate spending any more on my gear than i have to.Its like saying we should all aspire to owning a range rover when in the majority of situations a mondeo will do the job just as well

but thats the thing, some do aspire to owning a 30 K system  ::) ::)

jonah

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:26 pm »
Matt isnt it best to let each person decide whats best for them ? Loudest boxes make the most noise ?

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:56 pm »
i can think of a shed load of ways to spend 30k but buying work gear aint one of em ;D

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »
Matt isnt it best to let each person decide whats best for them ? Loudest boxes make the most noise ?
shouldnt that be empty boxes?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:37 pm »
Aye you can take a horse to water but cannot make it drink- even if the water costs £10/litre  by the time it goes through your system :)

jonah

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:54 pm »
Yeah you can dream of spending 30k lol mr thorpe .

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »
jonah are you on the gluebag again ;D ;D ???

jonah

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 09:59:10 pm »
I am offended  ??? was just trying to have a laugh and you accuse me of sniffing glue ! I used to like you  :'(

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 10:05:59 pm »
Yeah you can dream of spending 30k lol mr thorpe .
para phrasing george best , i would spend it on whisky women and fast cars ,the rest? ...i would just waste it ;D

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:38 pm »
It's empty vessels that make the most noise, not empty boxes Jonah, you dipstick.

I don't see why any of you should have it easy. When I started this biz I had to step way out of my comfort zone and I'm now getting very close to nailing it. These arguments believe it or not are my way of helping.

I'd like to see Matt re-envigorated with a sence of purpose. That purpose being money. If I was nearby and In his circle of friends I know i could do it. Possibly a little peer pressure etc ;D.

George Best? Career over at twenty eight, with his talent I'd have been playing past forty and money and women wouldn't have been an issue,

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 10:11:12 pm »
if money is all that gives you a sense of purpose mate then knock yourself out