Spruce

Finished - at last!
« on: August 16, 2007, 05:47:49 pm »
Hi All

Finally finished fitting a new WFP unit to son's 800LX Berlingo Van and it has just completed it's second day of field tests without a hitch.

He's on his own tomorrow.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

Re: Finished - at last!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:49:54 pm »
And here is another

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:17 pm »
looks good, I guess you like space saving then....

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:31:02 pm »
Shouldnt the strainer on that pump be the other way up (or down as it were)

Chris 

steve k

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:58:04 pm »
you are right...it is upside down.

paul saunders

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:26:52 pm »
 ??? Do citroen useualy use peugeot steering wheels.  ???
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

m.b.s.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:45:25 pm »
ive just bought one of those trust orange juci batterys a 85aph one are they any good dose it have a split charge relay on it if so how did you connect it up and were did you get it from cheers

Davew

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:55 pm »
think we had a strainer debate before - mines the same as the pic. ???

john tomkins

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:46:37 pm »
We have debates on the correct way up for the pump too, following advise I had mine the same way up as in the pic, but the writing thats on the pump is then upside down so presumably shurflo want it to be the other way up, ie water connections at the bottom :-\

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 11:09:04 pm »
Hi All
Sorry – his van is a Peugeot Partner – well spotted. I worked on Citroen’s commercial department for 6 years so everything that shape is called a Berlingo – like every vacuum cleaner is called a Hoover.
One thing is that these vans always look overloaded when heavily laden.

Shurflo advise that this is the correct way up to fit the pump. The trailer system I use had the pump fitted the other way from its suppliers, so the argument will go on. My personal opinion is that the pump should be fitted the other way round to keep the oil in the bush/bearing from migrating through the motor’s electrics. But I have also heard the argument that if the pump leaks water, then the motor will be spared as it is above it - also credible reasoning.

The strainer is not tight enough when fitted with the bowl pointing downwards and could suck air in time. I think the strainer is meant to go on the pump mounted the other way round – it would then be right.

Space is limited in the van and the only place to store the poles is down the side of the van making it near impossible for a passenger to enter or exit with them in place. Son Cameron refused point blank to have a tube carrier and roof rack on his van. Hence the fold up steps/ladders in the back. (I was initially against these, but they seem rigid and stable and although a pain to set them up in the required configuration, it is still quicker than taking the ladders off the roof of my van. They extend to 3.8m so are long enough to gain access to all our round’s flat roofs. I might well consider a unit myself later – they are only £59.99 from Wicks – were on special at £49.99 last month but missed that as always happens.) 

The white ‘box’ next to the Leisure battery houses a split charger relay. It was obtained at our local motor spares outlet (£10.99). It has 3 input terminals; 1 – main vehicle battery (fused). 2 – earth and 3 – power source to operate relay. I used the alternator charging warning circuit – the thin wire from the alternator for this. The relay has 3 output terminals; 1 – Charging for aux battery, 2 – fridge and 3 – permanent live. I have wired in a change over switch and used this permanent live so the van battery can be used temporarily if the leisure battery is flat. The ‘fridge’ terminal is unused.

The tank is 500 litres. The manufacturers are Wydale Plastics and they advise that the tank holds 485l of water completely brimmed.

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Spruce

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:52:11 pm »
Don't know about the pump in the cabin. :-\

From time to time when you're driving about the pump comes on for a few seconds to keep the system pressurised.

It'll scare the poo out of you. :o

Don't crash now. ;D

twt

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 07:43:47 am »
the pump wont come on if you turn it off, why waste battery power?

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 07:20:35 pm »
I put a separate on/off switch at the back doors which he uses
Spruce

TERRY AB

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 09:03:53 pm »
I reckon you will only be able to use approx 50% of the water in your Tanks!, as the Pump is not at the bottom of the water level. As soon as the water drops below the pump height you will be sucking air in, better watch this. Terry

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 09:37:56 pm »
I think the setup looks really swell.  Wish I'd had the guts to do my own one.  Would have been a lot cheaper. 

I reckon you will only be able to use approx 50% of the water in your Tanks!, as the Pump is not at the bottom of the water level. As soon as the water drops below the pump height you will be sucking air in, better watch this. Terry

My pumps sit on the tank so according to Woodley I wouldn't get any work done.  But no I manage to drain the tank completely as the water outlet is at the bottom.

Phil Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:11 pm »
Glad you mentioned the "upside down bit" Chris, started to get abit worried there!!
Had to replace a pump not that long ago if you remember :o

groundhog

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 09:44:11 pm »
I wish my van was that neat and tidy :-\

Londoner

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 08:05:49 am »
I hope the tank is properly strapped in. I can't see any in the pictures.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 10:36:55 am »
You can see straps going round the middle.
What do you think the black lines are? ???

groundhog

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 05:40:45 pm »
Get those eyes tested Vince!!!!!! :o ;D