Luke Johnson

WFP HISTORY INC PICS OF WFP IN 1960 ! - LOOK
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:23:04 pm »
Heres a picture I've got of window cleaners using a wfp in 1960. So as you can see this is a very old idea, just show this to old cranks who think this is new fangled technology. We are doing nothing new so don't feel so worried about making the switch over, it's just with new technology that this technique has become a better solution over ladders.

here are early adaptable goosenecks from mr long arm

here is an early trade show in the 1970's, notice the the signs behind the men

I hope you enjoy my research, Luke

Luke Johnson

Re: WFP HISTORY INC PICS OF WFP IN 1960 ! - LOOK
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:47:03 pm »
Please post any remarks or similar pictures you may have, I think it would be good to build up a kind of industry history for ourselves, we should be proud of being window cleaners and have some sort of heritage!!

Luke Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:00:48 pm »
here is the full article

Luke Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:01:43 pm »
Come on people have you not got anything to say about this, if you don't post this topic will just slip down and down.... its getting loads of hits but no posts!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:09:52 pm »
Were they using de-ionised water back then?
It's a game of three halves!

Luke Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:16:36 pm »
Well it says this in the article "The Tucker Pole was initially unsuccesful this side of the Atlantic. Water marks and stains resulted and this was unacceptable. Unfortunately, in Irealnd and in the UK, water quality problems are varied and complex and the window cleaning industry failed to appreciate the importance of linking  pole washing with water purity"

Stevie G

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:30:41 pm »
spoke to someone in the usa a while back and i think youll find its 50 years old
this year.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:35:48 pm »
yes, it started out in 1955, and moved into commercial use in 1960s

Luke Johnson

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:40:20 pm »
it says in the article that customers could see the benefits of wfp over ladders back then..........what is wrong with the mentality in this country, people are so cynical and slow to grasp new concepts and ideas. I don't like myself for saying this but the Americans have a very good "get up and do it mentality" even if they do get alot of other stuff wrong. Luke

tacky

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:13 pm »
the only good thing to come from usa is ROCK N ROLL .SEND THE REST OF JUNK BACK

Luke Johnson

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:11 pm »
I disagree, Rock and roll came from this country and we still have the best quality of music, but can we keep to topic!!!

Luke Johnson

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:41 pm »
here is the document

Luke Johnson

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 11:05:19 pm »
here is the mr long arm website, it has details on their history and the invention of the telescopic pole

http://www.mrlongarm.com/history.html

tacky

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:06:19 pm »
but luke are topic s better than mars bars .   sorry luke on my second can .good night all .looks like good weather tomorrow .well in wales any way

Luke Johnson

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 11:10:33 pm »
here is some more details on the history of Tucker taken from a blog

"Tucker Manufacturing Co., Inc. of Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the launch of the TuckerŪ High Level Window Washer in 2007. This year celebrates in many ways the 50th year of use of water fed pole for the window cleaning industry in the USA.

The Tucker High Level Window Washer developed from the original Tucker Car & House Washer from the mid 1950's. Today, the Tucker High Level Window Washer is more commonly referred to as the Tucker Pole.

In the early years, the in-house professionals were the early users of the Tucker Pole. Institutional customers, such as educational and medical facilities; hotel/motel, financial and commercial organizations were among the early users of the product. As the professional window cleaning contractor or building maintenance contractor organizations have developed, the Tucker Pole began to be used by those professionals.

The addition of "spot free" water rinse to the Tucker Pole in the 1980s has really opened the door for all, especially professional window cleaners, who maybe got started with only a squeegee and other tools in hand.

It's fitting that we open this blog, with an announcement celebrating the 50th year of the water fed pole in the marketplace. Our founder, Irv Tucker, developed a fine quality product that Tucker, its employees and customers, over the years have been able to build on and utilize.

The diversity of products and tools in the window cleaning industry continues to expand. We are proud of the origins and developments the Tucker High Level Window Washer has had on the window cleaning industry.

The Tucker Pole today is shipped to over 25 different countries, many delivered by one our vendors, FedEx. The development of water fed pole cleaning equipment has been a part of the culture at Tucker Manufacturing Co., Inc. for over 50 years now. The benefits of "spot free" water rinse has added greatly the marketability, overcoming the challenges of areas where "hard water" created a problem in rinse.

The slogan "we go to great lengths" with the Tucker High Level Window Washer remains very true today. The Model 83 has a maximum reach of 83 feet or 25 meters

Luke Johnson

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 11:13:31 pm »
Here is another interesting article regarding the history of Tucker and how they developed the system

Tucker Manufacturing Co., Inc. has been in business since 1945 and is located in Cedar Rapids, IA USA. We our proud of our history and owe appreciation to the many customers and end users during our past 55+ years of business.

We introduced a home and car washer in the mid 1950's. In 1957, we responded to the needs of a neighboring Big Ten university for window cleaning. They had various three and four story campus buildings that needed to be reached for exterior window cleaning. We responded to them with the introduction of the TuckerŪ High Level Window Washer.

Through the years, since 1957, Tucker has introduced a variety of changes to the materials that make up today's TuckerŪ Pole System. Some significant changes have been the hose and brush material, along with the option of single and our unique dual hose. The original clamping system was replaced with the worm screw clamp of today, which is an important safety feature.

Often changes through the years have been subtle, but we believe the current construction separates TuckerŪ from the various water fed poles that have been introduced off and on since the 1960's. With our style of clamp, for example, a model 45 can be reduced down into 7 other pole sizes. On the other hand, that model 15 can be added to become that model 45.

In the 1980's, window cleaners in Southern California began to incorporate DI water rinse with the Tucker Pole, due to the availability of DI tanks in the area. Tucker began to sell water treatment options in the 1990's, since the water conditioning industry has not uniformly responded to the needs of the cleaning and hygiene community, especially for ''spot free'' water rinse in window cleaning operations.
Further, in 1990, Tucker Manufacturing Co., Inc. was awarded the Governor's E Award from the State of Iowa, recognizing Tucker for their export efforts. In 1998, the Cedar Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce awarded Tucker a Bravo Award.

Today, the TuckerŪ Pole System continues to be a safe and cost effective option for exterior window cleaning and other exterior maintenance needs. Further, we are the lightest water fed pole! We look forward to the opportunity to match your needs with the various TuckerŪ setups available.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 01:31:17 pm »
If anybody has any similar material or pictures please post them, Luke

windolene

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 04:44:56 pm »
Hi,

My vast vintage window cleaning  items start early 1900,s. You can keep your modern snippets   :P

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 05:26:35 pm »
Hi Windowlene

I've been looking for an old photo of a window cleaner

e.g old sepia victorian photo of window cleaner with tin bucket and old wooden ladder any ideas where to get one

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

windolene

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 06:41:33 pm »
Hi,

you have mail.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Majestic

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 07:44:44 pm »
I remember about a year ago the topic of old window cleaning photos was posted. Someone had some good ones of women cleaning windows while the men were away during ww2 ( world war 2)

Pat Purcell

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 07:49:35 pm »
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Pittmonkey

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 07:53:27 pm »
Thanks Kevin!!

I think I've seen them John.
I did see a great photo on the Ionics Stand at the NEC show.
They where using it as an illustration against their new system, Pro 10 I think and how window cleaning had evolved. Nice touch I thought.

Wayne

Majestic

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 07:57:14 pm »
Was it this one,

[/img]

Pittmonkey

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 07:58:43 pm »
Yep thats the one. and thats the one I show my Mrs when she tells me to clean our windows ;D

Wayne

Majestic

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 08:03:23 pm »
What about this one then

[/img]

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 08:06:32 pm »
Is that the Tower Ballroom and "circus"  :)
Or maybe the Metropole  :)

Pittmonkey

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 08:07:20 pm »
Who said WFp is quicker than TRAD

Wayne

Majestic

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 08:08:22 pm »
[/img]

Majestic

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 08:09:23 pm »

Majestic

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 08:11:54 pm »
Jeff

A large number of window cleaners from the City and Suburban Window Cleaning Co Ltd, outside the Handyside Arcade, Newcastle. The company was established in 1897 and owned by a Mrs Penny, a French lady. They were taken over by Mr J Andrew Reid after the First World War and built up to a total of 86 employees in the 1930's. The barrows are pre-war stock and were used until the late 1950's and were pushed from the Store in St James Street, Newcastle to as far as Wallsend, Team Valley, Low Fell and Ravensworth Castle. In those days they had to be returned to Store each day. Each Saturday after completion of work, they had to be washed down, rims of wheels and hubs polished before workmen received their pay. Boxes and barrows were used for carrying pails, mops, coats and sandwiches etc.

Sorry Luke

Pittmonkey

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 08:13:50 pm »
Nice one John !!!

Go on then what www site you on. I've been looking for weeks now

Wayne

jeff1

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 08:15:34 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice to see a w/c van with one of these pictures on it and a modern day one next to it (wfp) with the caption saying from this to this??

Majestic

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:10 pm »
Just did a search
I did like this bit

Each Saturday after completion of work, they had to be washed down, rims of wheels and hubs polished before workmen received their pay

Pittmonkey

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 08:23:11 pm »
This is what I'm planning for a page on my web site Jeff. Just thought it would possibly hold peoples attention for longer and if you keep their attention for more than 15 sec theres a better chance of a response (So they say)

These days you look at a WC Van with his pure water set up, Sat Nav, Pocket George mobile phone etc: it's an amazing transition.

Any Links John?

Wayne

Wayne

jeff1

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 09:21:05 pm »
This is what I'm planning for a page on my web site Jeff. Just thought it would possibly hold peoples attention for longer and if you keep their attention for more than 15 sec theres a better chance of a response (So they say)

These days you look at a WC Van with his pure water set up, Sat Nav, Pocket George mobile phone etc: it's an amazing transition.

Any Links John?

Wayne

Wayne

It sounds good wayne, I think it would have the same affect on the side of a van, can you imagine someone walking past and seeing it, I think it could be a talking topic when people see it.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 07:36:11 pm »
I can do photograph restoration for anybody with old photographs they want repairing, I will try and post some examples of my work later, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

jeff1

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 07:58:46 pm »
John is there any copyrights on those photo's??? or were did you get them so I can check it out.