Poll

So what do you consider to be a fair wage for the job you do?

£12,000
2.8%
3 (2.8%)
£15,000
4.6%
5 (4.6%)
£20,000
9.3%
10 (9.3%)
£25,000
25.9%
28 (25.9%)
£30,000
14.8%
16 (14.8%)
Over £30,000
42.6%
46 (42.6%)

Total Members Voted: 103

ronaldo

Re: £30,000 per year....too much??
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 07:16:50 pm »
I hope the tax man does not read this site too often.

Of course they do Mike!
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 07:19:12 pm »
Fair question, depressing replies. Only 40% think they are worth or aspire to 35k.

Some live in poorer or over canvassed areas, others may lack the drive or ability.Mostly they seem to have low expectations.

In all walks you get leaders and followers.

S.Carpenter

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 07:20:37 pm »
i think im worth about 250k, shame nobody else thinks i am :(

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 07:22:19 pm »
In all walks you get leaders and followers.
Propole's back then? ::)

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 07:36:43 pm »
I see why Ian mentioned you in his post, as an example of the negative.(i.e. Lazy sloppy thinking, good call). A day working with me and it would change your life.

When you talk about window cleaning you know know far more than most, and I also appreciate that you have a good sence of humour. But the question asked not only about money, but how you saw yourself.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 08:15:32 pm »
I see why Ian mentioned you in his post, as an example of the negative.(i.e. Lazy sloppy thinking, good call). A day working with me and it would change your life.
I'll tell you now I'm not lazy at work.
I go flat out on every job. You couldn't keep up my pace mate I promise you that.

A day working with me, and it would put you off the job for life. ;)
You'd be thinking about being an office boy. ;D

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 08:44:56 pm »
Yes, you could work me and most into the ground. But if you still don't rate yourself, that says things about you.

I saw you sticking up for solicitor's charges on another post. Next to firemen and vicars they're the very worst for trying to knock  a round up on their days off! ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 08:57:52 pm »
I'll tell you now I'm not lazy at work.
I go flat out on every job. You couldn't keep up my pace mate I promise you that.

A day working with me, and it would put you off the job for life. ;)
You'd be thinking about being an office boy. ;D

If you work as hard as this, why aren't you rich?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 09:23:30 pm »
Thats what i was thing.

A £1000 tax bill and it nearly bankrupts him.

He is doing something seriously wrong

pylofm

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 09:41:30 pm »
Squeeky....you have shown time and time again that you are bright guy but you seem to like having no money and working very hard all year long and then have to worry about your tax bills....There is another way of working as you know that cleans windows and would appear to make money as well...without wanting to 'have a go at squeeky' ....who cares how you clean windows...just clean em and make money to do the things you want to do...30k (sterling) sounds like a decent income p/a....15k on the other hand sounds not as good....

As you know I started only 27 weeks ago...if I did not take on another customer this year....I would be at 15k sterling....Window cleaning is just that...were not creating art, making people well....just taking dirt from windows...thats all....so why not make a good living and use either the extra time or money to do something else...perhaps spend those hours/money doing your photography?

Respectfully
Dave

DASERVICES

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 09:44:24 pm »
Because he thinks 1 + 1 =11  ;D Hence huge tax bill should have been only £10 ;D

Only joking Squeeky ;D

But something you need to think about when the misses says she is pregnant, that will cost you an extra £5k+ a year.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 10:42:18 pm »
Do you value working for yourself in purely financial terms?

I value the flexibility that I now have.  I have more quality time with my family.  Job satisfaction (running a business) is rewarding.  My work/home life has a healthy balance.

Steve

Of course the best bit is the relative freedom of flexi hours.  Good earnings are a bonus.  I was never too bothered about earning large amounts myself until I had a couple of disasters that caused me financial problems.  I focus more on the money side of it now to get me back on track.  Once I've done that I feel that I will return to my easy going self once more.
I've never really been a breadhead.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 10:47:08 pm »
I hope the tax man does not read this site too often.

I don't see why it should be a problem.  It's not like anyone is evading tax.  Avoiding tax is fine and perfectly legal.  Evading it isn't.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 11:15:01 pm »
Squeeky....you have shown time and time again that you are bright guy but you seem to like having no money and working very hard all year long and then have to worry about your tax bills....There is another way of working as you know that cleans windows and would appear to make money as well...without wanting to 'have a go at squeeky' ....who cares how you clean windows...just clean em and make money to do the things you want to do...30k (sterling) sounds like a decent income p/a....15k on the other hand sounds not as good....

As you know I started only 27 weeks ago...if I did not take on another customer this year....I would be at 15k sterling....Window cleaning is just that...were not creating art, making people well....just taking dirt from windows...thats all....so why not make a good living and use either the extra time or money to do something else...perhaps spend those hours/money doing your photography?

Respectfully
Dave

Leaving WFP out of it, it is still possible to make a very good living from window cleaning though.
Only speaking for myself but I believe that I suffered from a self image/self esteem problem for many years.  That reflected in the rates that I charged people.  I didn't believe in myself and I found it hard to look them in the eye if I was taking £20 an hour.  These days I'm looking to dump the job if I make that (though these rates only exist on my older work and only in small batches now).  I wish I'd talked with other window cleaners years ago.
Sometimes, things happen to change your outlook.  I know many people who have trundled on for years then something happens to change the way they do things.  With a friend of mine it was his wife leaving him.  With me it was getting and recovering from serious illness and a couple of my friends dying.  With another guy I know, it was losing his job.  This is not a dress rehearsal (cliché I know).  Some customers try to hold you back with guilt manipulation.  I don't buy it any more.  I have compassion for people - always have done.  But what about me?  How about a little compassion for myself struggling away in the bitter cold or the searing heat with no toilet facilities, customers who want to send me away because of a few clouds, people who expect me to turn up four times a year for less than a tenner a pop and think they are doing me a favour.  No way.  I won't deal with them unless I have no choice.  I only want people who are prepared to pay me well for giving them a quality service.  These days, if they question my rates, I tell them that I'm the guy who has solved their window cleaning problem.  They need never hunt for a window cleaner again.  But in return, I expect to be well paid for my efforts because I'm not one of the one Summer wonders that they may have grown used to down the years.  If I'm well paid for it, I will be happy to clean their windows until I retire or they decide they don't want my services any more.  I can look them in the eye now and say such things.  A window cleaner for life is still a rarity in many areas.
Soap box now removed  :)

macmac

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 11:54:34 pm »
well said shiner ;)

tony

DaveWilkinson

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 01:56:19 am »
But something you need to think about when the misses says she is pregnant, that will cost you an extra £5k+ a year.

Just got this off BBC news web site

"From birth to leaving university at age 21 it costs parents £140,398 to feed, clothe and school their children."

omg i've got 4 of the little swines

DAve

russ_clark

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 07:44:32 am »
Me too Dave
That will be my first half a million £ spoken for  ;D ;D
now for the other half a million

DASERVICES

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 09:21:47 am »
Same here 4 girls, must be something in the water ;D

Have told them , I will only spend £400 on their weddings just like I did with ours
and went to South Africa on my own ;D