zesty

Would you give up if...
« on: July 12, 2019, 01:10:07 pm »
WFP was banned and traditional was the only option.

(Obviously that’s never going to happen)

When I was trad, I hated window cleaning. Nearly gave it up before going WFP as a last resort. Now I love the job.

Think I’d give it up - unless prices increased dramatically due to so many windies giving up. I reckon most WFP guys would jack it in, would you?

Smudger

Re: Would you give up if...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »
NO - but I may need a whole set of new staff !!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 02:17:24 pm »
Yes ive never used ladders and wouldnt have ever dreamed of doing window cleaning if it wasnt for water fed pole.

I had  a gutter job vac last week and i accidentally knocked an end cap off a gutter, i had to go home and get a ladder. It took me about 6 attempts to get up the ladder, the bloody thing was shaking like mad and i think i was shaking more. I vowed no more gutter clearing jobs.

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:22:16 pm »
I would have to jack it in , although I have a fair few years of trad under my belt , I can’t do it like I used to , since my stroke I have developed a slight shake in my hand that totally ruins the technique with kickback , I would end up detailing longer than cleaning  ;D
It’s handy for WFP though as I’m self agitating  ;D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:03:03 pm »
I would sell up, put the money into a property rental and take early retirement...there’s no way I could go back to trad, not even bungalows.

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:24 pm »
The problem be, that some would have to sell up or take on staff.   I clean a whole lot more now, than what was possible on trad and so that would slow me down.  Or change all my work to six weekly instead.
I think to begin with, I would hate it. Not so much using the ladders but needing to detail and cloth the sills etc again, knowing that by time I've cleaned the front of the property, on wfp I would have finished the whole property.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 03:12:19 pm »
I would have to jack it in , although I have a fair few years of trad under my belt , I can’t do it like I used to , since my stroke I have developed a slight shake in my hand that totally ruins the technique with kickback , I would end up detailing longer than cleaning  ;D
It’s handy for WFP though as I’m self agitating  ;D ;D

sounds like it would be handy for what Nathan gets up to as well.

zesty

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 04:26:37 pm »
Yes ive never used ladders and wouldnt have ever dreamed of doing window cleaning if it wasnt for water fed pole.

I had  a gutter job vac last week and i accidentally knocked an end cap off a gutter, i had to go home and get a ladder. It took me about 6 attempts to get up the ladder, the bloody thing was shaking like mad and i think i was shaking more. I vowed no more gutter clearing jobs.

Mate, you wouldn’t believe what we used to do on ladders years ago.

Three story work on my own, and when working with my work mate before that, we used to do crazy things. I’ve lost a lot of confidence since then, but still have no problem getting up to gutters.

It’s a much much safer job these days!

zesty

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »
I would sell up, put the money into a property rental and take early retirement...there’s no way I could go back to trad, not even bungalows.

Funny you say that, I picked up a little bungalow the other day, they didn’t want WFP, so I said, ok I’ll do it trad for £15 (few minutes work) and I quite enjoyed it!

Still, i couldn’t be bothered with more than about 1 or 2 trad jobs a week 😂

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 04:50:50 pm »
Even if I didn’t have the shake I would sell up anyway , screw going back on ladders , we would have to double the prices to make it worthwhile!
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

lal

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 05:21:46 pm »

There is no way i would want to go up ladders tradding again.  :o :o

Windy Miller

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »
I'd give it up in the morning if it ever came to that. WFP is such a pleasant method compared to trad.

I'm sure joiners would feel the same if asked to revert back to a brace and bit over a battery drill or brickies having to mix cement in a wheel barrow with a shovel.

Johnny B

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 05:29:38 pm »
No. But then I am trad!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 06:40:25 pm »
Yes i would give it up

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 07:01:41 pm »
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:28 pm »
i think its because we ve got used to NOT climbing ladders everyday that it seems daunting to go back.......the body would adapt and climbing ladders would be just a normal day at work if we went back to trad.......

if wfp was banned id still use wfp until the wfp police arrested me! :D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 07:12:56 pm »
I would defo give it up , wouldn’t even be able to sell the work 😂

zesty

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 09:15:40 pm »
I would defo give it up , wouldn’t even be able to sell the work 😂

Good point!

Though for those that stick it out, they’d be able to charge a premium I reckon! Window cleaners would be like gold dust again!

Slacky

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 09:55:49 pm »

That sounds like you've no confidence, not having used ladders enough and that it was a cheap, crappy ladder with no strength or rigidity. A mistake people make trying to save pennies by buying inadequate equipment.

Wee man

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:30 pm »
Might think about it. Done 4 hours trad helping a mate out on Thursday and I was wrecked..

p1w1

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:10 pm »
Yep would be my worst nightmare if that happened.. not so much having to use ladders, but i dread to think of how many HMAN threads would start  ;D

Phil J

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 07:47:56 am »
It would do my head in, so for that reason. I'm out!

zesty

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 09:03:46 am »
Might think about it. Done 4 hours trad helping a mate out on Thursday and I was wrecked..

Yeah I haven’t done a full day trad for years.

I do find trad easier in one respect, the tools are light, and it’s easy on the body, except for ladder work,though I never felt tired after a days trad on the ladders. I was a young though!

Dry Clean

Dry Clean

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 10:02:11 am »
Yep would be my worst nightmare if that happened.. not so much having to use ladders, but i dread to think of how many HMAN threads would start  ;D
Its not just HMAN, I can just see  Nathan K's video on why his 50 inch 10 rubber squeegee is the latest game changer.

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 10:05:18 am »

That sounds like you've no confidence, not having used ladders enough and that it was a cheap, crappy ladder with no strength or rigidity. A mistake people make trying to save pennies by buying inadequate equipment.

You are not wrong.

I don't have confidence with heights because I know I am terrified of them. I cant even look over the edge of balconys and stuff like that lol I go all light headed and dizzy.

Yes the only ladder I have is a cheap double ladder I was given. But it wasn't even on my van as I've never used ladders or had any reason to being water fed pole only from the start.

Klean07

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 10:31:30 am »
Maybe do part-time as my knees aren't as good as they used to be.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk