Dean Taberner

Window cleaning business (a different view)
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:27:31 am »
Morning guys,

After being away from the forum for a few years its been good to get back into it and read everyone’s stories,

Moving on from building a business I wanted to share a different view of the industry, a view of being an employee like me.

I know most on here want to grow a business and each to their own I say. It’s a short life so do what’s best for you. I had 5 guys including a couple who were part time, and we turned over circa £250k, I won’t even go into the maths behind those figures lol. It gave me a massive headache with the VAT, PAYE, chasing money, trying to keep the work coming in etc.

One afternoon I just decided it wasn’t for me anymore and changed my life. We’d fallen a little behind with VAT payments previously and I just pulled the plug on it. I changed my life beyond all recognition, after my business went. I was taken on by JVP as a supervisor on the tools which I found refreshing, money wasn’t an issue for me because I’d lost all motivation for it.

Anyway I got promoted to an operations manager after 18 months which is on a salary, a decent salary, a lot more than all of my friends, I have no stress, I manage the workload of our northern division and price up the new work, I meet clients, I’ve got a fuel card, a hotel card when needed and travel to top city’s over the uk and do a lot of site seeing while I’m there (sad I know) . I stopped drinking 2 years ago due to stress levels dropping , got fit, lost weight etc. I was 22 stone back in 2017 when I joined JVP and I’m now 12 stone 10. I literally do not have any stress at all. None that I can’t handle anyway.

I’m 39 years old and only have 4 years of my mortgage left to pay, so things are good. I’m working for a growing company and I’m in a management position and I want to progress myself with them. I’ve done the growing my own business game and it didnt sit well with me mentally. Now I know that some people would say I’ve failed but I’m happy where I am and that’s all that matters to me.

Good luck with whatever you do, just don’t get too stressed or take it too serious, because it’s not worth it  ✌🏻
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Dry Clean

Re: Window cleaning business (a different view)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 09:45:50 am »
Dean I certainly wouldn't call you a failure but the fact that you felt the need to point out that you're earning more than all your friends suggests that deep down you don't think the same.
If you're truly in a good place in your life then what you or others earn shouldn't matter.

Klean07

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:11:37 am »
Well done Dean I would imagine you have been on a rollercoaster journey these last few years but now you've found a job that doesn't give you all the stress your happy! If I was as young as you then my outlook could have been different but because I'm 60 now I'm quite content with just growing my business for myself and my employee!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:26:23 am »
I think theres 2 types of people that dont build big businesses.

1. Those who dont know how to do it

2. Those who know how but simply can not cope with the stress of putting it into action.

If you can master both of those building a big window cleaning round is easy.

For the rest of us theres a lot to be said for being a solo operator or getting a job.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:58:28 am »
Great post Dean and fair play to you.

Hey can I play? Ask Charlie if he wants to buy my business, and take me on as residential division director and lets be the first national company doing houses! Just a thought.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Tom-01

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 02:37:38 pm »

Hey can I play? Ask Charlie if he wants to buy my business, and take me on as residential division director and lets be the first national company doing houses! Just a thought.

Lee that would be the third time you get made redundant!!  ;)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 02:43:12 pm »

Awwwhhh there's no need to be like that to the new improved Lee that we have back posting.
And i do think he's improved 👍😁

deeege

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »
Nice story Dean, glad to see you are doing well and have a spring back in your step. 👍

I picked up a couple of your jobs that you left when you stopped trading, only after renegotiating the prices though as your prices were unsustainably low. Do you think underpricing work contributed to you losing motivation?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Dean Taberner

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 03:16:27 pm »
Nice story Dean, glad to see you are doing well and have a spring back in your step. 👍

I picked up a couple of your jobs that you left when you stopped trading, only after renegotiating the prices though as your prices were unsustainably low. Do you think underpricing work contributed to you losing motivation?

Hi mate. A lot of my sites came with prices from fm companies and clients were unwilling to budge. So I think when I sailed off into the sunset they didn’t have a choice. Glad you picked them up though. Did you get the Warrington ones? I forget what they’re called now it seems like another lifetime ago. £50 I think on of them was total nightmare. They used to sponsor coronation street I think.

deeege

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 03:27:25 pm »

Hi mate. A lot of my sites came with prices from fm companies and clients were unwilling to budge. So I think when I sailed off into the sunset they didn’t have a choice. Glad you picked them up though. Did you get the Warrington ones? I forget what they’re called now it seems like another lifetime ago. £50 I think on of them was total nightmare. They used to sponsor coronation street I think.

Can’t quite remember which sites came from where now, I just remember having to nearly double the price on 6 blocks of apartments that you cleaned as the price they said you were cleaning them at was really low. That’s not a dig, just was surprised as I know you had to travel up from Stoke to cover them also.

Anyway glad you are doing well, and to have lost nearly half of your body weight too, must have been a massive effort 👏

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

supernova77

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 03:28:54 pm »
Great post Dean. Very honest!

I actually think I’m a bit like you. I’ve tried growing things beyond me and one other guy but I just don’t like it. I’m happy keeping things as they are for now and just refining the business. 

Was your company Concept Clean?

Andy

Tom-01

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »

Awwwhhh there's no need to be like that to the new improved Lee that we have back posting.
And i do do think he's improved 👍😁

😃 I’m sure he’ll cope!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 04:21:32 pm »

You do do do you?  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 05:05:17 pm »

You do do do you?  ;D

Of course i do do do
Sounds like a Police song😁😁😁

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 06:14:39 pm »
Well done Dean, I remember your posts from way back, driving insane miles and ridiculous hours. Glad you’ve come to your senses 🙂

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »
i often wondered what happened to you Dean.....well done for sorting yourself out and are happy and content with a relatively stress free working life these days....even if it is working for someone else.... :)

keep off the booze.......my lifes much better without it too..... :D
price higher/work harder!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 08:08:01 am »
Fair play to you Dean it's good to see that you're happy. And it's good for you to share your experience with others who are aiming to get to where you were at least company size wise.
Looking at the figures I guess it was just not enough turnover after the VAT was taken away 200000 to support basically 6 full-time employees plus yourself 7. All the vans running costs and other associated issues.
I see somebody recently doubled some of your quotes I suppose that was The Catalyst keeping the work coming in but keeping the quotes low which is basically affecting your profit. Profit is the most important thing and it's the Tale of the story I suppose if you grow slower and didn't take on anything and everything it could have been different I suppose. alongside your job on a Saturday you could also pick up some really nicely priced domestic work and be self-employed as well. You could just do it one day a week no stress at all mate.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 04:10:12 pm »
Great post Dean. Very honest!

I actually think I’m a bit like you. I’ve tried growing things beyond me and one other guy but I just don’t like it. I’m happy keeping things as they are for now and just refining the business. 

Was your company Concept Clean?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Not concept clean. I do remember concept though.

Scrimble

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 12:19:32 pm »
fair play Dean,

Missing Link

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 07:04:39 am »
I'm not arsed so much about the work, but the loss of weight, gain in fitness; the transmogrification is inspiring.

Well done.

(I'm faceache friends with Dean so have seen the before 'n' after pics.  From fat man to super-fit man.)
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am