Jay Le Huray

getting old
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:21:48 am »
last month I turned 66,  when I reached retirement last year I decided to sell half of my business and just work part time i.e 50%

In the space of 1 year I have gained more work and I'm now doing about 70% of what I used to do rather than the planed 50%

My wife who is almost 62 works alongside me and it's fair to say we are both beginning to feel it now, everyday it seems to get harder as the bones begin to ache and age takes over.

We plan to work until she gets to pension age which has now been increased to the age of 67 (very unfair) so maybe another 5 years by which time I will be 71,

my question is does anyone know of any other cleaners working to that ripe old age ? oh and BTW we are WFP and no ladders

zesty

Re: getting old
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:52 am »
Definitely think about what equipment you are using, are you making sure to use the very lightest pole and brush?

Also an electric hose reel will help a lot.

Fair play to you for carrying on!

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:29:58 am »
Definitely think about what equipment you are using, are you making sure to use the very lightest pole and brush?

Also an electric hose reel will help a lot.

Fair play to you for carrying on!

good point about the electric reel, this is something we have been thinking about, as for the poles and brushes, we do keep them light as possible (no more sill brushes)

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:41:32 am »
Learn to say "No" as well.
Do you need the extra new work your taking on?  If not, then stop doing so and make it more manageable and perhaps cut your working hours per day a little if you can and take the rest.

What poles do you use?

Respect to you both as well.  I know in theory I wouldn't want to be working into my 70's (I'm 41) but the reality is, I hate doing nothing and so the chances are I will be working in some capacity
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 09:42:08 am »
last month I turned 66,  when I reached retirement last year I decided to sell half of my business and just work part time i.e 50%

In the space of 1 year I have gained more work and I'm now doing about 70% of what I used to do rather than the planed 50%

My wife who is almost 62 works alongside me and it's fair to say we are both beginning to feel it now, everyday it seems to get harder as the bones begin to ache and age takes over.

We plan to work until she gets to pension age which has now been increased to the age of 67 (very unfair) so maybe another 5 years by which time I will be 71,

my question is does anyone know of any other cleaners working to that ripe old age ? oh and BTW we are WFP and no ladders

Isn't it fun how easy it is to pick up work you don't want when some new cleaners struggle?

The other down side to working and claiming a pension is that your tax liability increases. They giveth with one hand and taketh with the other.

I get a small pension now but as we (wife and myself) haven't been paying into the system full term, its limited. I'm grateful for the additional 'help' as I'm probably doing about a 1/3rd of what I did 10 years ago. But its not enough to live off of and I'm not complaining.

So for me its "retire when I expire."  ;D

I've had my old faithful 04 plate Citroen Relay fail MOT due to rust. I have had to buy another van which isn't something I wanted to do. Somehow, when you get on a bit you don't feel 'happy' making long term purchases when you know the best of your life is behind you.

One of our customers retired from plastering a few years back and still did a couple of jobs to pay for holidays. We had a chat last week and he said that there were no more holidays as he has had to stop plastering altogether. Spruce, you and I are both on the final stretch and the finishing line is not far away. My reply was that he was dead right. ;D

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 10:00:25 am »
Do you need the extra new work your taking on?  If not, then stop doing so and make it more manageable and perhaps cut your working hours per day a little if you can and take the rest.

What poles do you use?

Respect to you both as well.  I know in theory I wouldn't want to be working into my 70's (I'm 41) but the reality is, I hate doing nothing and so the chances are I will be working in some capacity

;D
Thanks Nathan. Unfortunately we as older ones need to keep moving. I find that if I stop to rest for too long I can't get going again.  ;D ;D The 'battery' goes flat.

So I try to incorporate a rest break with talking to customers.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:10:40 am »

What poles do you use?

we use gardeners poles, and yes I find it difficult staying at home watching daytime tv (total rubbish) I always have to find something to do

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:24:29 am »
Well done buddy.  There are so many youngsters out there these days that can't do a days graft without a moan or craving for there bed.     They should take a leaf out of your book, so don't ever look down on yourself.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Klean07

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 10:28:36 am »
I'm 61 this year but last year when I was 60 I decided that I wanted to ease my work down and eventually retire so last month I took someone on. Its been a struggle especially with the wet weather last week but we're getting there thankfully!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 10:58:16 am »
Why don’t you just keep building the round up, if you don’t want to do any more work per week you could let your schedule slip from 4 weekly to 5 weekly, then when you feel you are overloaded with work sell the surplus work on and put the proceeds into the pension pot, then you can go back to your 4 weekly schedule...and repeat.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 01:00:50 pm »

I'm already semi retired at 47....

I do know of 2 WCs both in their 70s(trad too!)who are still working.they both look great for their age....they both go on holiday a lot though (4 or 5 times a year).....but still keep small rounds going.....

If your really feeling it cant you just pack it in now?none of us know how we re gonna feel when we get to your age......

You should have electric reels,hot water,xtreme poles and brushes as standard kit IMO......also no work above 25ft and no add on work to minimize strain.....

price higher/work harder!

tlwcs

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 01:03:11 pm »
I’m working towards the twat pension, working Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday.
But like others have said, learn to say no.
Good luck

Johnny B

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 01:07:50 pm »
Very interesting topic.

I'm 57, and already know that I will never retire.

I have a good number of shop fronts that form the cornerstone of my run. As I get older I intend to keep these and add some more as and when they come along. I will then let go of most of my residential work, keeping just enough to keep me going for 2 or 3 days a week.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

zesty

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 01:08:32 pm »
Invest in gardiner xtreme poles, they will help with fatigue massively at your age 👍🏼

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 02:48:19 pm »
My dad is 68 and he can keep up with me however he wants this to be his last year on the glass. Can’t fault him. 

Dry Clean

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 03:08:55 pm »
There are no pockets in a shroud, its easy to forget this.

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 03:26:28 pm »
35 this year  ;D

James Styles

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »
I will be 33 this year and I was wondering am I a bit old to start up lol fair play to you all who are still grafting past 60 massive respect 👍

Johnny B

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 05:38:16 pm »
I will be 33 this year and I was wondering am I a bit old to start up lol fair play to you all who are still grafting past 60 massive respect 👍

I started up in 1997 aged 35, and again when I relocated to Ireland 8 years ago aged 49.

You're just a young lad James! 😂

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jk999

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 06:31:55 pm »
My dads 79 and still cleaning trad

pikeman

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 05:08:10 pm »
62 been doing it about 10 years now. Best thing i did previously a bricklayer. Got money in the stock market through isas.  Small flat i rent out and main residence paid for. Could cut my hours down if i wanted but really don't mind going to work. As already been said use the best equipment

James Styles

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 07:11:52 pm »

I started up in 1997 aged 35, and again when I relocated to Ireland 8 years ago aged 49.

John

Haha cheers mate, I haven’t felt young recently but I think it’s mostly due to stress of where I live and trying to build the round, also I’m not in great shape need to get a bit fitter!
Was it tough to start up all again when you moved to Ireland?

Ooooooog

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 09:42:10 pm »
If it’s hurting, why not build the business up over the next two years and then sit back while someone else does the graft?
I’m 42 and my body is knackered from years of lifting granite, no way I could work into my 60s let alone 70s. You must have great genes!

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 10:34:06 pm »

I started at 32, now 37.

Wish I started at 22 though, I always thought window cleaning was for dole fiddler's and dossers I never knew how good it was as a business.

Johnny B

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 10:48:38 pm »

John

Haha cheers mate, I haven’t felt young recently but I think it’s mostly due to stress of where I live and trying to build the round, also I’m not in great shape need to get a bit fitter!

One thing this job will do is either make you fit or wear you out!

I have to say it was tough going. I was a stranger in a foreign land. There was a major recession, and so few people had money or the confidence to spend it (if they had it) on something as low priority as window cleaning.

That said, I canvassed during the day and any customers I got were done there and then. I managed to get a customer or two most days, but many proved to be one offs or messers. However, I ploughed on and I would say it took 4 years of grafting before I considered myself established. At this point, work started to snowball and now I am inundated with good, regular work as well as occasionals and add ons.

My advice James is to persevere, look past the messers and knockbacks and in time you will get to where you want to be.

I wish you all the best mate and will be keenly interested to hear how you are progressing.

John

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:17 am »
If it’s hurting, why not build the business up over the next two years and then sit back while someone else does the graft?
I’m 42 and my body is knackered from years of lifting granite, no way I could work into my 60s let alone 70s. You must have great genes!

you could be right about the genes, my mum is still alive aged 102

Missing Link

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 09:53:34 am »
My dads 79 and still cleaning trad

It's probably what's keeping him in good nick.

You use it, or lose it.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 02:48:27 pm »
60 here. Use an Xtreme 20 as my everyday pole. I like the suggestion of not going above 25ft. I still have a few 4th floor properties done quarterly and I could move those on.
It's a game of three halves!

alank

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 03:08:07 pm »
52 here and basically now if I can't clean it with an 18 foot pole I'm not interested in doing it myself.  I've got work obviously where I need 35 foot pole but I won't be looking at doing these myself for much longer. Any new work that I do take on now that I intend to do has to fall into that category.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 06:32:20 pm »
52 here and basically now if I can't clean it with an 18 foot pole I'm not interested in doing it myself.  I've got work obviously where I need 35 foot pole but I won't be looking at doing these myself for much longer. Any new work that I do take on now that I intend to do has to fall into that category.

good job im not planning on doing this.....id have to get rid of 3/4 of my jobs! ;D

alank

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 06:46:10 pm »
I'm lucky really daz as I've been able to be selective on the type of work that I do for quite a while.

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
I'm lucky really daz as I've been able to be selective on the type of work that I do for quite a while.

same......but theres not much work i can clean with just an 18 foot pole,need a 25 footer......

P @ F

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 07:19:49 pm »
I have about 10 jobs that need a 27 and 1 job that needs 35 , the rest is all  18 which is nice at my old age !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

jonboywalton75

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 02:03:39 am »
I have about 10 jobs that need a 27 and 1 job that needs 35 , the rest is all  18 which is nice at my old age !

Similar for me, good job though as I'm 62😕

alank

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 07:42:03 am »
Decided to order an extreme 18 this weekend and use six extensions for the odd jobs where I need them.

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 08:34:20 am »

how old are you rich?i thought you were 47 like me.....10 years on CIU this year....... 8)

macca

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 08:49:17 am »
Been cleaning for 22yrs mainly trad to start but now WFP for the last 4 years I'm 61 this year and going on the pole has certainly lengthened my time on the glass and I'm still enjoying it.

P @ F

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 09:11:00 am »

how old are you rich?i thought you were 47 like me.....10 years on CIU this year....... 8)

46 now Daz , joined here in 05 to do my homework on WFP before spending £721 on my 175 L cold DI system with Universal GF 24 foot pole    :o
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

H MAN

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 11:10:22 am »
Yes 65 no problems. ;D
Do  few homes now. ;)
Just take it easy. :)
Plenty spare time now.
So more videos on the horizon.  ::)roll ::)roll ;) ;D

tlwcs

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 04:07:40 pm »
Yes 65 no problems. ;D
Do  few homes now. ;)
Plenty spare time now.

Damn, I liked your post before I read the last line 😁
(Answer Darren’s question please!)

H MAN

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 08:37:44 am »
Yes 65 no problems. ;D
Do  few homes now. ;)
Plenty spare time now.

Damn, I liked your post before I read the last line 😁
(Answer Darren’s question please!)
And thought everyone looks forward to some of those videos. :o :o ::)roll ::)roll  :'(  ;D ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 08:45:18 am »

46 now Daz , joined here in 05 to do my homework on WFP before spending £721 on my 175 L cold DI system with Universal GF 24 foot pole    :o

I joined in 09 to get help moving to WFP as trad was killing my knees and ankles
Got a backpack and barrels before i learnt my lesson and got a 350 ltr diy van system
Now got 650 ltr system in transit, this will be it up to retirement whenever that happens i think

alank

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 02:21:23 pm »
Used my new extreme 18 today for the first time,  I think for anyone getting older and starting to feel it a bit this is a must have as an every day pole. Really impressed with it.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »
Used my new extreme 18 today for the first time,  I think for anyone getting older and starting to feel it a bit this is a must have as an every day pole. Really impressed with it.

Loved my extreme 18, till it broke!!!
Be gentle with it
For the weight difference /strength I'm sticking with SLX 18's till i retire

jonboywalton75

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 02:47:08 pm »
If i did regular 30 plus feet work I'd consider an extreme, but I'd be very gentle with it

Missing Link

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 07:13:42 am »
Bumped into a local window cleaner at the weekend; he's 56.

He's changed from heavy smoking to the vape (after being caught with a whole load of tobacco coming back from Tunisia).  His hip is hurting him and he's shoulder problems.

He can't walk far, he's overweight and has never exercised.

If he has a hard day on the glass he can't work the next day.

He started coughing when I mentioned stuff like joining a gym, getting a personal trainer to learn, and exercise.  He said "I can't afford the time".

I suggested he couldn't afford not to make the time.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 10:17:43 am »

He's changed from heavy smoking to the vape (after being caught with a whole load of tobacco coming back from Tunisia).  His hip is hurting him and he's shoulder problems.

He started coughing when I mentioned stuff like joining a gym, getting a personal trainer to learn, and exercise.  He said "I can't afford the time".

Makes me feel like Usain Bolt, reading that.
Especially as I'm older than 56😱

Spotfree

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 03:16:23 pm »

Its crazy the states some people allow themselves to get into and the lies they tell themselves to justify it. The excuses they make to avoid any kind of effort to remedy the situation is beyond me, its like they want to die a horrid slow early death.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »
Surprised he reached the ripe old age of 56 living like that

Missing Link

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »
Its crazy the states some people allow themselves to get into and the lies they tell themselves to justify it. The excuses they make to avoid any kind of effort to remedy the situation is beyond me, its like they want to die a horrid slow early death.

Exercise is a foreign country for some folk; just weird and confusing.  And they're embarrassed and they don't know where to start.

Wor Lass helps run the local (free) Couch to 5k courses; she's done it for a while now.

Some massive - and I mean MASSIVE - women turn up to start that.  For those who finish the course and do a 5k, it's life-changing stuff for them.  There's even a few who've cried.

Personally I think they'd be better off sorting out their diet and walking till they lose some weight, but a start is a start...

Missing Link

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2019, 03:56:23 pm »
Surprised he reached the ripe old age of 56 living like that

He's overweight, maybe bordering obese (as in clinical obesity - which isn't as big as many think) and he's a smoker.

He's not on IV heroin.

dazmond

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 03:56:35 pm »
met a fellow window cleaner today.....he drives an old battered car with a backpack,barrels and ladders and hes moaning about his shoulders hurting,he uses a 40ft pole with a heavy brush on the end....he s been at it years like me,massive gut on him,totally out of shape...... :( ::)roll.......some WCs never seem to get their act together no matter how many years they ve been going,nice chap to talk to though....

KS Cleaning

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2019, 04:58:07 pm »
met a fellow window cleaner today.....he drives an old battered car with a backpack,barrels and ladders and hes moaning about his shoulders hurting,he uses a 40ft pole with a heavy brush on the end....he s been at it years like me,massive gut on him,totally out of shape...... :( ::)roll.......some WCs never seem to get their act together no matter how many years they ve been going,nice chap to talk to though....
Well that’s Lee Pryor been well and truly rumbled then😂

nathankaye

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »
Exercise isn't the answer, or the only answer should I say. Especially for all the gym goers, who think that exercise can only be done in a gym 😁

The key is being disciplined in eating the right amount of food and the right type of food.  Lol, for myself I made the mistake of eating the same amount of food  as I did when I was on the trad tools, going up n down the ladders day in, day out. Its also important to realise as you get older, your metabolism slows down as well and sadly for me, it's another reminder of getting older and I hate it!  Only early 40's and spent all my life up until late 30's cycling, footballing and doing the weights.  Yet the last five years, my life has been hectic for various reasons and these things haven't been kept up with and it doesn't take long for your fitness levels to drop. 

Flip side, though, it doesn't take long to get it back!
Granted, some either don't care or they become so unfit that the effort or the thought of effort becomes too tiring to even try. 

On another note, we've had threads on here about how many houses ones may clean in a day and some of the past answers have been shocking!  Some differences are, because wfp has made our jobs so much easier that we actually like the easier pace because we may know that we can easily get all the work done in a day / week or month.  I know I've certainly slowed down!  A little down to cleaning larger houses, better prices etc but also I can't be bothered to be that quick any more 😏😔
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 06:05:58 pm »
the thing is nathan your metabolism doesnt slow down to a crawl as you get older,itll slow a bit but not that much...unless your losing muscle......keep building muscle and you ll be able to eat more without getting obese..... ;)

the reason being is the more muscle you have on your body the more calories youll burn at rest(basal metabolic rate).... 8)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 06:30:28 pm »
the thing is nathan your metabolism doesnt slow down to a crawl as you get older,itll slow a bit but not that much...unless your losing muscle......keep building muscle and you ll be able to eat more without getting obese..... ;)

the reason being is the more muscle you have on your body the more calories youll burn at rest(basal metabolic rate).... 8)

A mate of mine was a professional weightlifter for Denmark
When he retired from the sport the muscle turned to fat. Should have seen the state of him!!!
Any excessive sport when you're younger can come back to haunt you in later years
I'm finding that out now with the footy /squash /jogging i did over the years
Dazmond, be careful, when you're unable to physically do all the weights etc you could suffer.

Shrek

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 06:37:10 pm »

When he retired from the sport the muscle turned to fat. Should have seen the state of him!!!
Any excessive sport when you're younger can come back to haunt you in later years
Dazmond, be careful, when you're unable to physically do all the weights etc you could suffer.

Muscle is muscle and fat is fat! You can’t turn one into the other  :P

Missing Link

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 06:38:59 pm »

There's still loads of old - famous - body buildbuilders hitting the weights hard.    Arnie is 71; I follow him on instagram; he's still in great shape and going well.

Wor Lass is 46 and has been a life-long athlete and just recently knocked out another 100 mile non-stop ultra marathon as training for a 185 mile ultra marathon that goes from south to north Wales (they get 90 hours to complete) in September.  She's a window cleaner too (for the past 16 years) and has no joint issues.

My sports in my yoof were boxing and judo and I'm in pretty decent nick for my age (50 this year) and I'm in the gym five-or-six times a week; ran a 46 mile ultra marathon in the Beacons the year before last.

My point is, training keeps you in good nick; it does not destroy your body, as long as you know what you're doing.

Missing Link

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 06:41:52 pm »
when you're unable to physically do all the weights etc you could suffer.

Doing the weights will mean he will be able to continue lifting the weights.

It keeps your joints in good order.

In fact, as we approach the age of 50, strength or resistance training is crucial for maintaining the ability to have an active and independent lifestyle.

It turns out the the average 30-35 year old person will experience roughly a 25 percent decline in his or her muscle strength and tone by the age of 70-75, and up to a 50 percent decline approaching the age of 90.  Simply doing aerobic exercise such as walking or light treadmill workouts will not be adequate to preserve muscle tone, bone health, balance and posture. If you are not engaging in strength or resistance training, the chances are high that you will lose strength and become less functional as you age.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2013/02/10/why-strength-training-may-help-you-live-longer/#1a4ccd7037ec

jonboywalton75

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 06:42:31 pm »

Muscle is muscle and fat is fat! You can’t turn one into the other  :P

I stand corrected, he stopped weightlifting and got fat.
Is that OK? 😁😁😁
Also  I didn't know what i was doing
I thought i was having fun😳

Missing Link

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 07:11:01 pm »
Also  I didn't know what i was doing
I thought i was having fun😳

I did 17 years in the army.  Most of the guys I saw getting injured weren't the ones who kept themselves fit, they were the ones who let themselves go.

And then something would happen like an exercise, or rigorous training, and they'd try to force their body to do too much, and they'd break.

Of course they never said "I was an unfit knacker and then did PT and broke!", what they generally said was "the army ruined my knees".

I've got elderly mates, one in his 80s - who has ran over 200 marathons (and some ultra marathons) - who still runs now...

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/16188416.meet-the-oldest-runner-in-the-newport-marathon-aged-80/

Syd's slow, and talks non-stop; he's on 'permanent send'; you wouldn't want to run with him. ;D

Ooooooog

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
I feel young on here at 42!!!! :D :D :D

Been working on a metal roof last week and the gang said it was the hardest weeks’ work they’d ever had with me. All youngsters but no stamina. I’d love to think I could still do it in twenty years time.

Missing Link

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 07:18:21 pm »
I feel young on here at 42!!!! :D :D :D

I 'flipping' hate kids. >:(

Dry Clean

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2019, 07:43:14 pm »
Obsessive exercisers are no different to obsessive eaters, they only see what they need to see to justify the obsession.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:22 pm »
I had 7 years cleaning windows until i was 22, I was out of the game for 20 years and at 42 did 10 years of trad until i learnt the error of my ways and got a wfp.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2019, 07:57:44 pm »
Obsessive exercisers are no different to obsessive eaters, they only see what they need to see to justify the obsession.

Some people (like Daz😉)  are obsessive at whatever is their latest fad. (booze, drugs, women, drumming, weights, 6* holidays, making Alex Gardiner rich etc😁😁)
Some people are more balanced at life in general.

Missing Link

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2019, 08:50:40 pm »

Don't be.  Find something that'll drive you.  Otherwise things will get a bit boring and dull, if they're not already.  Nobody got good at anything through being balanced.  It even sounds weak and grey; 'balanced' ffs.  Be a bit mental instead.

Grant Cardone has a book out called Be Obsessed Or Be Average, but really, 'obsessive' is just a way the lazy describe the committed.

Missing Link

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2019, 08:53:08 pm »

Ahem, there's a massive difference...

The former are rugged, strong and handsome, like me.  The latter are lardy with dough-bodies and look like a bag of nails in a tight-fitting t-shirt. ;D

Dry Clean

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »

Don't be.  Find something that'll drive you.  Otherwise things will get a bit boring and dull, if they're not already.  Nobody got good at anything through being balanced.  It even sounds weak and grey; 'balanced' ffs.  Be a bit mental instead.

Grant Cardone has a book out called Be Obsessed Or Be Average, but really, 'obsessive' is just a way the lazy describe the committed.

You've just proved my point, when handed a box of donuts an obsessive person will either eat the lot or none at all, a balanced person will eat one and injoy the experience.

Missing Link

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2019, 09:21:00 pm »
You've just proved my point, when handed a box of donuts an obsessive person will either eat the lot or none at all, a balanced person will eat one and injoy the experience.

Yeh, I'd have to leave them alone.  Or make a pig of myself.

It's all or nothing with me. ;D

Missing Link

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2019, 09:35:21 pm »

You and your wife could both do some strength training you know?  They've done 'experiments' on 90 year olds and found even then they can increase their strength.

With stronger muscles, tendons and ligaments - and increased bone density - you'll find your joint health will improve and work won't just become easier, EVERYTHING will.

Stuff like carrying the shopping from the car to the house, walking up steps, unscrewing tight lids, gardening; everything; just gets easier because in every task you'll be using a smaller percentage of your overall (increased) strength.

The only other option is a steady decline into decrepitude.

dazmond

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:35 pm »

Some people (like Daz😉)  are obsessive at whatever is their latest fad. (booze, drugs, women, drumming, weights, 6* holidays, making Alex Gardiner rich etc😁😁)

i wouldnt call weight training a "fad".....ive been going regularly 3 or 4  times a week for 3 and a half years now and its one of the best things ive ever done for myself,i also used to train in my teens and early 20s.......

ive been drumming for 35 years now since i was 12 years old so again NOT a "fad".....

i used to love drinking and sleeping with different women but even the cheap thrills from that wear off eventually! ;D....i had to give the booze up! ;)

dazmond

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2019, 11:25:33 pm »

the trick is NEVER STOP TRAINING AND EATING RIGHT......weight training is just the best exercise that i enjoy (for me).....

as for injuries/strains i dont have any...if i do then i just work around them and still get some sort of workout done....or take another day off to let my body heal....

jonboywalton75

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:41 pm »
You've not addressed the making Alex Gardiner rich comment yet Daz🙄

Missing Link

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2019, 06:36:37 am »

Alex deserves to be rich.

He's helped us all get richer.

He should win the 'Golden Bent Squeegy Award for services rendered to window lickers'.

dazmond

« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2019, 08:48:02 am »

You and your wife could both do some strength training you know?  They've done 'experiments' on 90 year olds and found even then they can increase their strength.

With stronger muscles, tendons and ligaments - and increased bone density - you'll find your joint health will improve and work won't just become easier, EVERYTHING will.

Stuff like carrying the shopping from the car to the house, walking up steps, unscrewing tight lids, gardening; everything; just gets easier because in every task you'll be using a smaller percentage of your overall (increased) strength.

The only other option is a steady decline into decrepitude.

one of my customers (hes in his 80s)was recommended to do some weight training (albeit with the smallest dumbbells ive ever seen)by his doctor.....he has osteoporosis.......its never too late......

Dry Clean

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 08:59:36 am »

dazmond

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 09:03:01 am »
when i was a kid i was always in the football teams,one of the first kids to get picked....i remember being in 3 football teams at once,the local junior team(we won everything),the cubs/scout team and school team,always the goalkeeper,big mouth,large hands and arms.....i also used to usually win the 100m sprints and swimming (25m front crawl)......

when i hit the high school i started to take more of an interest in drums and girls... ;D

drumming(esp when playing a gig  consisting of 2 x 60 min sets)is a fantastic cardio workout.....

it all helps with fitness and staying young..... ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 09:06:06 am »
when i was a kid i was always in the football teams,one of the first kids to get picked....i remember being in 3 football teams at once,the local junior team(we won everything),the cubs/scout team and school team,always the goalkeeper,big mouth,large hands and arms.....i also used to usually win the 100m sprints and swimming (25m front crawl)......

when i hit the high school i started to take more of an interest in drums and girls... ;D

drumming(esp when playing a gig  consisting of 2 x 60 min sets)is a fantastic cardio workout.....

it all helps with fitness and staying young..... ;D

So drumming keeps you fit but girls, maybe not!!!!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 09:08:15 am »

Alex deserves to be rich.

He's helped us all get richer.

He certainly has👍

nathankaye

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 11:06:38 am »

Wow Sean, that's exactly how I pictured you to look,
😂😂😁👍

If anybody wants to select a new diet, may I suggest a diary free option and watch the weight come off and feel a whole lot healthier as well.  Oh, and you do realise that protein comes from more than just eggs n meat don't you 🤔😁
Especially if you can cook and not just stick to the typical English salads n veggie dishes which will drive anyone to insanity
(yep, only dropped into tobys for the odd pint here n there)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

James Styles

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 12:41:55 pm »

John

One thing this job will do is either make you fit or wear you out!

I have to say it was tough going. I was a stranger in a foreign land. There was a major recession, and so few people had money or the confidence to spend it (if they had it) on something as low priority as window cleaning.

That said, I canvassed during the day and any customers I got were done there and then. I managed to get a customer or two most days, but many proved to be one offs or messers. However, I ploughed on and I would say it took 4 years of grafting before I considered myself established. At this point, work started to snowball and now I am inundated with good, regular work as well as occasionals and add ons.

My advice James is to persevere, look past the messers and knockbacks and in time you will get to where you want to be.

I wish you all the best mate and will be keenly interested to hear how you are progressing.

John

Only just seen this John but thanks mate that’s much appreciated, I’m working hard the rounds growing steadily, I’ve had a few messers that I’ve dumped it does get to me a bit but less and less as time goes on. I am aching after some hard days but I can tell I’m getting bit fitter or more used to it as the aches are minor now, first few months I felt demolished after a long day lol but I didn’t work for years before so I got into bad shape not obese or nothing but bit of a gut and I could just tell I lost strength but I’m getting fitter now.
I think near the end of this year or start of next year I will be needing to get a little van as I’m getting busier.

Dry Clean

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2019, 12:46:43 pm »

😂😂😁👍

If anybody wants to select a new diet, may I suggest a diary free option and watch the weight come off and feel a whole lot healthier as well.  Oh, and you do realise that protein comes from more than just eggs n meat don't you 🤔😁
Especially if you can cook and not just stick to the typical English salads n veggie dishes which will drive anyone to insanity

That was a dig at bodybuilders who think lifting weights keeps you fit, it doesn't surprise me that it went over your head. lol

Missing Link

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2019, 12:52:38 pm »
That was a dig at bodybuilders who think lifting weights keeps you fit, it doesn't surprise me that it went over your head. lol

Like anything, there's a right way to do something and a multitude of wrong ways to do something.

But the guys in that pic might be strength athletes; they're not about 'health' or 'aesthetics', their priority is to be able to lift heavy stuff.  Have a google for Eddie Hall, the UK's strongest man.  There's nothing pretty about him but he can't half move some weight.

In a similar vein Wor Lass runs 100 mile ultra marathons; she doesn't do that to keep her healthy or slim (it could even harm her heart); it's her sport though and she's willing to take the risk of something adverse happening.

You have to work out what your training objectives are and work out a training and diet regime to achieve them.

Missing Link

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2019, 05:03:47 pm »
Oh, and to be a bore, I listened to this audio book a while back in preparation for getting old (which now seems to be my current age plus 4)...

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Younger-Next-Year-Audiobook/B008MPDY3A

If you're not a member of audible you can sign up, first book free, then cancel.  Listen to it while you're shining windows.

I've never gotten old before, so I thought I'd gen myself up on the subject in preparation.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2019, 05:54:18 pm »

😂😂😁👍

No dates allowed?
It's a game of three halves!