paul alan

futility of the WFP brush
« on: October 02, 2018, 05:18:14 pm »
I have noticed a few times lately, that when scrubbing away at something that doesn't come straight off (like mini bird mucks for example) the WFP brush can pretty useless.

You can come across a mini bird muck or similar and give it a good old scrub for it not to budge, then as your stood right next to the offending article you simply put your hand out and give it a little nudge with your thumb nail and  the seemingly well stuck on "mark" falls off!

The same with them little yellow bug spots, near impossible to shift with the brush yet removed with ease with your nail. I find this with all my brushes, even the tucker dual trim which is by far the best heavy duty scrubber I have. Even the little du-pont hybrid ultimate (aggressive little bugger) suffers the same issue.

I can give a window the best damn scrub its ever had on a first clean, virosol etc etc. Only to go back when dry and find things that are easily removed with a cloth.

The good old T-bar mop is way better at "shifting" things!

nathankaye

Re: futility of the WFP brush
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:22:21 pm »
Depends on the brush I suppose.
I have a stiff dual trim brush and the smaller inner bristles are quite firm and help do the job.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 05:22:36 pm »
True.

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:43 pm »
Depends on the brush I suppose.
I have a stiff dual trim brush and the smaller inner bristles are quite firm and help do the job.

I have around 8-9 different brushes, flocked, stiff, hybrid they're all the same! The tucker dual is a beast, only use it now and again but that isn't as good as you would think!

Cookie

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:39:39 pm »
You need one of these on your pole:

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/brushes/brush-head-attachments/the-new-super-scraper-trade.html

Had one for years!  they're great but not practical to clean the whole window.

It would be good to have something with the same "aggression" in a brush.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 06:20:21 pm »

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/brushes/brush-head-attachments/the-new-super-scraper-trade.html

A wire brush with jets would work at getting stubborn muck off?  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:54:54 pm »

this is where hot pure water helps esp with the little bug spots,sticky pollen and birdmuck.......however the other week i scrubbed a bird strike on an upper window TWICE with hot water and the mark was still there once it had dried!luckily the customer noticed before i packed up and left so squirted it with virosol and it came off straight away! ::)roll ;D

ive found the gardiner xtreme natural bristle brushes to be the best for scrubbing but they  get matted up and are useless within a week or two so dont use them anymore...shame really because i really liked these brushes... ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:26 pm »
That's where a swivel comes in- turn the edge of the brush stock flat to the glass and just scrape it off.👍
Comfortably Numb!

robbo333

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:02:37 pm »

I have recently adapted some brushes to deal with 'stubborn' marks:
The Ultimate has had its bristles cut down to around 7mm. It feels like a massive toothbrush.
The Xtreme has had its width reduced (to increase surface pressure), inner bristles removed and replaced with a scouring pad and outer bristles shortened.
The Quick Lock has a magic eraser pad attached via velcro and super glue.

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:16:50 pm »

The Ultimate has had its bristles cut down to around 7mm. It feels like a massive toothbrush.
The Xtreme has had its width reduced (to increase surface pressure), inner bristles removed and replaced with a scouring pad and outer bristles shortened.

so do you faff about changing brushes for the odd dirty window mate?

hot water and the gardiners super scraper gets most stubborn marks off i come across on my regular work...sometimes i also use virosol for bird strikes due to the greasy feather residue left on the window or a really dirty first clean job but i dont change brushes....
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:36:26 pm »
I very rarely need to use them, as most marks I can get off using the stock of the brush at 90 degrees and a gentle scrape.

If I do need one it's easy, it only takes a few seconds to change a brush.
Combine the brush with degreaser, or unger rub out, and it is a seriously good tool to have.

The magic eraser is mostly used on gutter cleans, for the odd marks.

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 07:37:25 pm »

I only have 2-3 brushes, downstairs windows im happy (and quicker) to use my nail

upstairs ones just use side of the stock, if it doesnt come off off sod it.

Winters coming so much less sticky stuff on windows anyway

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 07:38:51 pm »
I very rarely need to use them, as most marks I can get off using the stock of the brush at 90 degrees and a gentle scrape.

If I do need one it's easy, it only takes a few seconds to change a brush.
Combine the brush with degreaser, or unger rub out, and it is a seriously good tool to have.

The magic eraser is mostly used on gutter cleans, for the odd marks.

sounds like way too much faff mate swapping a brush for a bug mark. First clean fair enough but on regular work if it wont come off with side of stock and a bit of elbow grease its staying on

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:22 pm »

Very creative mate!

I think thats brill, so much so I'm off to the van to find a sacrificial brush.

Like you say, it only takes seconds to swap a brush head. I do it every day multiple times, it'll be good to have something more heavy duty when its needed.

Cheers Robbo!

paul alan

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 08:48:04 pm »
Just been to the shed and found some dinosaur age brushes, an old square vikan flagged, an old unger sill brush and an old 18" unger boar hair with wooden stock. In pretty good nick to be fair.

Not long threw out an old extreme, been keeping it around in-case I found a use for it but eventually threw it, gutted now!

dd

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:02 pm »

Very creative mate!

I think thats brill, so much so I'm off to the van to find a sacrificial brush.

Like you say, it only takes seconds to swap a brush head. I do it every day multiple times, it'll be good to have something more heavy duty when its needed.

Cheers Robbo!
I think the reality is if you are changing the brush for one window it will add more than a few seconds to the job. Certainly not something I would want to do often.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 08:57:57 pm »
I must admit though, Hot water does make light work of these issues.
(disclaimer 😂😂 there's several option in how you can heat the water upto a satisfactory heat suitable for cleaning said stubborn stains)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:12 pm »
I always wear my pouches when cleaning. Inside one of which is a little spray bottle of a strong mix of virosol. Just spray onto the brush head, foam it up on the glass and stubborn mark, clean a few other windows and then go back to the stubborn mark.

Even takes off baked on egg if you ever have the privilege of coming across it.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

bobplum

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 09:01:17 pm »