jk999

Pulse width modulation switch
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:04:32 am »
Im fed uo of buying the cheap foreign crap i want a decent switch that i will get at least 6months rather than the two to three weeks im getting at mo ,anyone that has some great links to some decent ones would be much appreciated cheers in advance kev

Spruce

Re: Pulse width modulation switch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:14:58 am »
Im fed uo of buying the cheap foreign crap i want a decent switch that i will get at least 6months rather than the two to three weeks im getting at mo ,anyone that has some great links to some decent ones would be much appreciated cheers in advance kev

Which one are you using currently and what pump do you have?

There are some cheap ones on ebay that say they are rated at 10 amp. If they are anything like other Chinese manufactured electronics they aren't 10amp.
There is a fellow on YouTube who strips electronics stuff down and looks at the circuit components. Time and time again he finds the manufacturers claims to be well exaggerated.

I got a cheap 10amp controller for our backpack. It lasted a week.

So my thought would be to look in the 20/40amp range of pwm for a wfp pump.

-
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:18:54 am »
what is it?ive never heard of one before.
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:07 am »
what is it?ive never heard of one before.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/pulse-width-modulation.html

So its a basic motor speed controller without the calibration side of a normal Spring controller or Varistream.

A lot of the guys use these when building DIY trolleys;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-12V-40V-Pulse-Modulation-13khz-PWM-DC-Motor-Adjuster-Speed-Control-Switch-/181925172752?hash=item2a5b95d610:g:c8EAAOSw5VFWPa8C

but mine didn't last long.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:05:14 am »
I made a couple of controllers for my dad & brother & they're nearly 4 years old now & still going strong - just pop it in a waterproof box and don't forget to fuse it: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2000W-12V-24V-48V-MAX-10-50V-40A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/371218917231?hash=item566e5f276f:g:mwkAAOSwofxUlOsb

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:40:15 am »
I made a couple of controllers for my dad & brother & they're nearly 4 years old now & still going strong - just pop it in a waterproof box and don't forget to fuse it: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2000W-12V-24V-48V-MAX-10-50V-40A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/371218917231?hash=item566e5f276f:g:mwkAAOSwofxUlOsb

Hi Nat, nice to see you.  :)

jk999

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 12:00:59 pm »
Cheers for that nat will give it a try anymore  :)

slap bash

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:56 pm »
If you are having a problem with these switches burning out. Firstly buy a 40 amp switch and secondly, Never leave the pump on, and  relying on the pump pressure switch as a means of switching off the pump. EG have a lever switch before the controller switch  to put pump off long term. Before you drive. These controller switches do take stain from the pumps pressure switch.  I am also going to try a different wiring  to avoid this problem.

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:07:23 pm »
You get what you pay for so my advice is stop being tight and just buy a decent pump controller & pump that will last years and will save you loads of hassle and downtime.   ::)roll

slap bash

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »
Its not the switch its the way you wire it up so stop been so Smugg.  Smurf, not every is a flush as you are. And you are paying so much more for the exact same switch in your expensive controller.

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 04:21:47 pm »
I'm just saying when it comes to  wfp window cleaning pumps & controllers it pays to buy decent kit that is upto the job that's all.  They are not that expensive to buy and will soon pay for themselves many times over.

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 04:29:41 pm »
I've been using the same cheap £5 voltage regulator thing/bit for about 6 years.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

jk999

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 04:31:57 pm »
Firstly im not tight i have spent some money on wfp over the last fifteen years,secondly its not the way im wiring them they work but the switch that turns the speed up and down just stops working the speed ,you just get a bit fed up off being ripped of with the window cleaning company s i can build two trolley s fir the price of one pure freedom and still have 100 pounds left if i could find a decent switch i would pay even if it was twenty quid

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 04:51:17 pm »
Why do you think most decent trolleys being sold have decent pumps & controllers fitted on them?
There is nothing stopping you also building a trolley with decent parts fitted if you want to try and save a few quid.

Therefore why not save all the grief and just build yourself decent pump box's and stick them on a folding stack trucks instead of using cheap china parts that don't seem to last?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 05:23:34 pm »
I honestly never had an issue with one of these DIY switches - with a fuse & a waterproof box they cost about £20 to make & are as reliable as the professional ones - - so why would it ever make sense to pay £100 extra?

I know the spring controllers rely on "Dead end detection" rather than the pumps pressure switch - but I honestly believe this causes more issues than it solves (Calibration issues when temps change and issues with different lengths of hose or hose bores etc etc) - the pressure switch is simple, does what its supposed to do, and personally I've never had one fail.

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 05:39:02 pm »
Yer just tight and naff with technology then Nat  ;D ;D

That like saying I don't use carbon poles because they make my hands black  :P

jk999

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 06:45:33 pm »
The only chinese crap i use are the voltage meter,the pwm switch .the pump is a sureflow pump

Don Kee

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »
I honestly never had an issue with one of these DIY switches - with a fuse & a waterproof box they cost about £20 to make & are as reliable as the professional ones - - so why would it ever make sense to pay £100 extra?

I know the spring controllers rely on "Dead end detection" rather than the pumps pressure switch - but I honestly believe this causes more issues than it solves (Calibration issues when temps change and issues with different lengths of hose or hose bores etc etc) - the pressure switch is simple, does what its supposed to do, and personally I've never had one fail.

The Spring controllers can be used with the pump pressure switch bypassed. We engineer them to operate with the pressure switch in line simply because should there be an issue the pump pressure switch will activate and protect the pump. DE calibration is designed to ensure the pump is being driven efficiently for the flow rate set. Also when flow is stopped the controller stops the pump and reduces the stored load across the pressure switch preventing the switch arcing and shorting out.  The V11 range also has a number of built in features to protect control pump and battery. Battery management means the pump and controller run cooler.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology