Dave Willis

Who's got a perfect job?
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:15:44 am »
I moan about window cleaning sometimes, bad weather, poor payers, dog poo and all. In my little circle of friends we have a double glazing director who drives 150 miles to work and only comes home at weekends, a builder, a warship designer who commutes from Bristol to Glasgow,  :o a Stomer Bag salesman who's wages are commission based and does 40,000 miles a year, a supermarket worker on minimum wage and a baker who starts at 3am in the morning.
Has anyone got a perfect job?

I thought I did when I started a hot air balloon ride business - unfortunately it never got off the ground.

8weekly

Re: Who's got a perfect job?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:21:28 am »
I moan about window cleaning sometimes, bad weather, poor payers, dog poo and all. In my little circle of friends we have a double glazing director who drives 150 miles to work and only comes home at weekends, a builder, a warship designer who commutes from Bristol to Glasgow,  :o a Stomer Bag salesman who's wages are commission based and does 40,000 miles a year, a supermarket worker on minimum wage and a baker who starts at 3am in the morning.
Has anyone got a perfect job?

I thought I did when I started a hot air balloon ride business - unfortunately it never got off the ground.
I never go to bed on a Sunday night dreading Monday. For me, that is as good as it gets.

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:30:54 am »
I feel the same as 8 weekly about dreading Monday, but then I know if I don't feel like working Monday I don't
need to, I sometimes wonder if I was starting out in life again would I want to be doing this job.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:39:02 am »
2 of my bandmates work in IT.one of them works nights at weekends for a bank at times, the other normal office hours.another is an engineer working 12 hours shifts 4 days on/4 days off.

id hate to work nights or in an office all day or working for other people full stop.

my brother has the perfect job.selling perfume online.he has 14 websites now all over europe.his tax bill was over 45k last year though!ouch!! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:40:08 am »
It's good enough for me.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:51:35 am »
i used to hate setting my alarm clock for 6am every day(including sat)when i worked landscape gardening.working 10 hours a day.

i still never set an alarm clock to this very day!i usually wake up between 6-7am every day though but start later! :)

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:10:32 am »
A friend of mine thought she had the perfect job working from home as a clairvoyant.
But she gave it up.
With only a trickle of customers, she just couldn't see a future in it.

Tom-01

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:00 am »
I think Jeremy Clarkson has got the perfect job.

Back to window cleaning, it does get boring at times, but every job does. It sure beats being a salesman for someone else. And it depends where you want to take your business and working round the difficulties that come with growing.

Being your own boss has to be the best thing about it.

kempy

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 11:43:32 am »
I'd love a tax bill of £45k , means you must be earning serious coin
Well done to him

NWH

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 12:10:36 pm »
It makes me smile when builders say something like you should have got a trade lol,I think to myself what and take an over a 100 percent pay cut compared to what you earn you tool.

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »
The perfect job would be to sit at home or on a beach somewhere and still be earning a mint doing bugger all surely?  ;D

Pete Thompson

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 12:29:14 pm »
The perfect job would be to sit at home or on a beach somewhere and still be earning a mint doing bugger all surely?  ;D

That would be great...for about a week.  Then boooooooring!

I've done a few jobs in my working life, and to be honest I'd have to say that, for me, window cleaning is as close to a 'perfect job' as it's possible to get.  I love it.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 01:32:13 pm »

I've done a few jobs in my working life, and to be honest I'd have to say that, for me, window cleaning is as close to a 'perfect job' as it's possible to get.  I love it.

You genuinely love it??

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 01:42:19 pm »

Well i've got the first part down to a tee now just now need to sort out the other bit.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 01:47:36 pm »
How can you say window cleaning is as close to a perfect job.... Let alone love it beats me ???

Yes I know about it's more of a lifestyle that fits around kids etc than working for the man but really don't you find window cleaning a repetitive boring job. Not to mention all the agro that comes with it?

Rich Wilts

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »
Depends on your attitude. I see a lot of positives in this job. There's a few negatives, however every job has negatives. The positives far outweigh the negatives. By a mile.

Smurf

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 02:16:08 pm »
Very true but I find the actual process of window cleaning as boring as hell not to mention can be hard work.
However I do get a buzz when I've cleaned filthy stuff like pavers, fsg's etc when customers can see an obvious transformation which gets them exited and some tip well too ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 02:25:00 pm »
i used to hate setting my alarm clock for 6am every day(including sat)when i worked landscape gardening.working 10 hours a day.

i still never set an alarm clock to this very day!i usually wake up between 6-7am every day though but start later! :)

I only have a cpouple of days when I have a very early start but usually wake up naturally.  If I don't, I just do the job the following day instead (I might set an alarm for the second attempt).

Walter Mitty

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 02:26:52 pm »
How can you say window cleaning is as close to a perfect job.... Let alone love it beats me ???

Yes I know about it's more of a lifestyle that fits around kids etc than working for the man but really don't you find window cleaning a repetitive boring job. Not to mention all the agro that comes with it?

It can be like that, That's why I write when I'm not cleaning - far more interesting, and fun.

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 02:28:46 pm »

It can be like that, That's why I write when I'm not cleaning - far more interesting, and fun.

nice one  ;)

SeanK

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:02 pm »
Depends on your attitude. I see a lot of positives in this job. There's a few negatives, however every job has negatives. The positives far outweigh the negatives. By a mile.

That's very true, I think its easy at times to forget this.

8weekly

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 02:35:05 pm »
There's a few negatives,
Yeak, customers.  :(  ;D

SeanK

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 02:37:19 pm »

Walter Mitty

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »
It makes me smile when builders say something like you should have got a trade lol,I think to myself what and take an over a 100 percent pay cut compared to what you earn you tool.

I think I know what you mean, but a 100%+ pay cut would mean paying someone for the work you do :)

NWH

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 02:42:36 pm »
Go and work for someone doing something else but take your trainers coz you'll be running right back to cleaning windows 100 per cent,i know 1 bloke that has sold his rounds 2-3 times over the years coz he'd had enough winter etc,a year or so later he's back out canvassing trying to get another round together lol

Walter Mitty

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 03:06:06 pm »
Go and work for someone doing something else but take your trainers coz you'll be running right back to cleaning windows 100 per cent,i know 1 bloke that has sold his rounds 2-3 times over the years coz he'd had enough winter etc,a year or so later he's back out canvassing trying to get another round together lol

No chance mate.  The relative freedom of window cleaning suits me :) .  It can get tedious and boring, but I like the flexi-time.

Tom White

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
I've had a perfect job.  In Northern Ireland I was attached to an Intelligence Unit and sent to work in RUC Carrickfergus along side five special branch coppers, who were great fun.

My job was to collect information regarding any terrorist use of weapons (longs and shorts - rifles or handguns).  I had to wear civilian clothing, I was paid a civilian clothing allowance, and I got a 'company car' (a civilian vehicle).

A week after I started the job there was a ceasefire which lasted a long time.  Apart from the odd incident, maybe 30 minutes work, I didn't have a job to do, so I just used to hit the gym, chat up the ladies in the offices, and look good.  I'd start late, finish early, no-one kept an eye on me, and I was usually left alone to do what I want.

That lasted nearly two years.  It was a bit of a shock to the system when I had to go back to the regular 'green army'.

Ditto on the flexibility that window cleaning gives us; I also like the lack of responsibility.  If I make a mistake, no-one dies, there's no law-suits, and the only targets we have to achieve are the ones we set ourself.

ChumBucket

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 03:50:31 pm »
Putting the Jam in Jammy Dodgers....... now that's a perfect job!! ;)

lal

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 04:11:37 pm »

Being your own Boss

Flexi Hours

Not bad money

Very little Stress
    The four pointers above says it all for me, i would hate to have to work for someone else again.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »
i love my job  :-* :-* :-*

Pete Thompson

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 11:20:08 am »

A repetitve boring job? No!  Aggro? No!

It's all about attitude.  This is how I think of it;

I get up in the morning, no boss to get on my nerves or idiot colleagues.  No rush hour traffic to contend with or deadlines.

I get ready, sit eating my brek while staring out of the back patio watching birds fly and listening to the wind rustling the trees.  I already know what work I have that day, so I idly think about the route I'll take.  Usually one of the cats meows to be outside in the fresh air so I let it out and spend the last 5 minutes watching it chase leaves and expertly climb the tree.

Then I do a final check of my gear, make sure my spares box in the van is all ok and (most importantly) I have a good story to listen to (Audible is the greatest thing ever).

Then I get to work.  I always glance in the mirror and look back with a little burst of pride at my house.  MY house.  I bought it with window cleaning money.  Before window cleaning I rented, and I hated it.  Not owning my own home was a constant annoyance and source of stress.  If I hadn't started window cleaning, then probably I'd still be renting.

I drive to the first customer, set up and then I do what can only be described as the easiest, most stress-free job in history.  And I'm in the fresh air, all the time.  The work is not what I'd call physically demanding, but it is the equivalent of light exercise so I'm the fittest and healthiest I've ever been in my entire life.

Sometimes the customer is in, in which case there's a chance for a little chat and some pleasantries, but mostly they are not so I'm left to get on with the work in peace.  After years, I'm expert at doing my particular houses so I get through them fast.  I listen to my stories - science fiction is my favourite - and every hour that passes I mentally tot up how much I have just earned.

And on it goes for the whole day.  Some may think that is boring, but not me.  The worst thing I have to deal with is when the hose gets caught on a car tyre, or when I carelessly unplug the hosereel and the water spits out on my shoes a bit.  Hardly the end of the world.

And when I get home at about 5pm, I put the van in the garage and set it filling.  That is it, there is no more work to do.  There are no long hours, no crazy demands from people, nobody else's incompetence to cope with.  I don't go to sleep worrying how I'll get XYZ project finished or if some idiot boss will like the thing I did.  The fresh air and light exercise of window cleaning means I'm tired enough to sleep well - something I've only ever done while window cleaning.  I used to have pretty bad insomnia and restlessness.

I only work 4 days, I always take Fridays off.

Occasionally (about once every other month) I wake up and think "I don't feel like work today" and instead I take the missus out for the day to a park, or shopping, or whatever.   Or sometimes I'll just lay in bed reading the news till midday then we'll go to the cinema.

I look at what my little business earns and I am still amazed after all these years.  I did this.  From nothing.  This work that is easy, stress-free, flexible and keeps me fit also happens to pay (what I consider) fantastic money.  And it's my business, I am the boss, I can work exactly as I want and don't need to depend on anyone else.  I won't be made unexpectedly redundant.  If I want to go on holiday for 2 weeks I don't need to clear it with anyone.  I just go.

I feel like I'm cheating at life, especially when I talk to friends and hear the hassles they go through in their working life.

Sure, I'll never be as rich as a footballer, or an investment banker, but I can live with that.  I have everything I want and (thanks to window cleaning) more money than I need.

I find it hard to understand people who do this work and are not happy.

When you say "all the agro that comes with it", what aggro?  If a customer gives aggro they get dropped immediately.  The weather is sometimes an annoyance, but I don't mind working in the rain too much.  I can't think of anything that I would class as "aggro" in window cleaning.

lal

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:47 pm »

I get up in the morning, no boss to get on my nerves or idiot colleagues.  No rush hour traffic to contend with or deadlines.

I get ready, sit eating my brek while staring out of the back patio watching birds fly and listening to the wind rustling the trees.  I already know what work I have that day, so I idly think about the route I'll take.  Usually one of the cats meows to be outside in the fresh air so I let it out and spend the last 5 minutes watching it chase leaves and expertly climb the tree.

Then I do a final check of my gear, make sure my spares box in the van is all ok and (most importantly) I have a good story to listen to (Audible is the greatest thing ever).

Then I get to work.  I always glance in the mirror and look back with a little burst of pride at my house.  MY house.  I bought it with window cleaning money.  Before window cleaning I rented, and I hated it.  Not owning my own home was a constant annoyance and source of stress.  If I hadn't started window cleaning, then probably I'd still be renting.

I drive to the first customer, set up and then I do what can only be described as the easiest, most stress-free job in history.  And I'm in the fresh air, all the time.  The work is not what I'd call physically demanding, but it is the equivalent of light exercise so I'm the fittest and healthiest I've ever been in my entire life.

Sometimes the customer is in, in which case there's a chance for a little chat and some pleasantries, but mostly they are not so I'm left to get on with the work in peace.  After years, I'm expert at doing my particular houses so I get through them fast.  I listen to my stories - science fiction is my favourite - and every hour that passes I mentally tot up how much I have just earned.

And on it goes for the whole day.  Some may think that is boring, but not me.  The worst thing I have to deal with is when the hose gets caught on a car tyre, or when I carelessly unplug the hosereel and the water spits out on my shoes a bit.  Hardly the end of the world.

And when I get home at about 5pm, I put the van in the garage and set it filling.  That is it, there is no more work to do.  There are no long hours, no crazy demands from people, nobody else's incompetence to cope with.  I don't go to sleep worrying how I'll get XYZ project finished or if some idiot boss will like the thing I did.  The fresh air and light exercise of window cleaning means I'm tired enough to sleep well - something I've only ever done while window cleaning.  I used to have pretty bad insomnia and restlessness.

Occasionally (about once every other month) I wake up and think "I don't feel like work today" and instead I take the missus out for the day to a park, or shopping, or whatever.   Or sometimes I'll just lay in bed reading the news till midday then we'll go to the cinema.

I look at what my little business earns and I am still amazed after all these years.  I did this.  From nothing.  This work that is easy, stress-free, flexible and keeps me fit also happens to pay (what I consider) fantastic money.  And it's my business, I am the boss, I can work exactly as I want and don't need to depend on anyone else.  I won't be made unexpectedly redundant.  If I want to go on holiday for 2 weeks I don't need to clear it with anyone.  I just go.

I feel like I'm cheating at life, especially when I talk to friends and hear the hassles they go through in their working life.

Sure, I'll never be as rich as a footballer, or an investment banker, but I can live with that.  I have everything I want and (thanks to window cleaning) more money than I need.

When you say "all the agro that comes with it", what aggro?  If a customer gives aggro they get dropped immediately.  The weather is sometimes an annoyance, but I don't mind working in the rain too much.  I can't think of anything that I would class as "aggro" in window cleaning.

Great Post Pete.  :)
Regards
Lal

Smurf

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 12:54:35 pm »
Nice post  ;)

Yes I understand all that but still the actual process of cleaning glass is mind numbingly boring don't you think?

NWH

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 01:51:38 pm »

Great Post Pete.  :)
Regards
Lal
I could not have put it more perfectly than that,everything you have said I agree with,the ideal attitude for working for yourself. It's funny how when you can have a day off you very rarely take it though if you worked for someone else you'd always be craving 1,I think a lot of people in this job lose track of how stress free it is it's like the worlds best kept secret to me I don't let on if I'm asked by others in different jobs. If you go to commercial it is a different ball game but again that's your choice to make for yourself again no ones holding a gun to your head to take on certain jobs.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 02:32:33 pm »
Mines near perfect . Got the rest of the week off.all this weeks work is complete . Half of next weeks is done . The lad has picked it up a lot faster than I thought . Gunna need a bit more work . He can see the gold shining off the glass . ; :D now is it too early for a strongbow . Probably is . I,ll start on the vino .   :)

8weekly

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 03:43:29 pm »
Disagree about the aggro. Some customers are infuriating. I like my job though.

johnny bravo

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:12 pm »
i like it now i am waterfed pole set-up.
i would have sold up 2 years ago,   hated clinging onto ledges in the wind.   especially in autumn and winter months.

but now i dont worry about that now,    go out in the wind when i wouldnt even bother if trad.

benefits are now paying off thankfully, all because i went wfp.

thanks to everyone on here who put up with my questions.    i dont need to ask as much now.

i was going to go on holiday to turkey last friday  but weather forecast was not too good.  instead im going to tenerife in november for my birthday,   why,     because i can.   

big benefits of working for yourself.

if everything goes as it has been this year next year   i will need to employ someone.      as long as they claim working self employed.     it will do my head in all these employment laws .    pensions etc.

G Griffin

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 11:42:12 pm »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 09:09:28 am »
every day is like a holiday in this game compared to working for someone else

lal

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »

You took the words right out of my mouth dazmond.  :)

Regards
 Lal

DaveG

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 03:15:52 pm »

Regards
 Lal

+1  ;D
You can't polish a turd

SeanK

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 03:23:21 pm »

Regards
 Lal

+1  ;D

That would be a no and yes for me, I had a fantastic job working for somebody good pay working conditions and as long as
you did you days work you never seen the boss, unfortunately somebody in China is now doing it and the next job was the
opposite.

steve rix

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 01:32:34 am »
Own a pub and a window cleaning business, how bad can it be?

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 02:33:27 pm »

I think lots are desperately trying to convince themselves that they love what they do  :-\

sunshine windows

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 03:03:43 pm »
ME!
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

SeanK

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 03:13:50 pm »

I think lots are desperately trying to convince themselves that they love what they do  :-\

Totally agree, but for me its not working.

colin bird

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2015, 08:51:28 pm »
Love the freedom,love only working part time for full time wages,love the lifsyle it gives ,but it's hard work and boring,but I'm happy,and won't be changing

G Griffin

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:29 pm »
I had a prefect job at school.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dave Willis

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2015, 09:38:58 pm »
Creep

G Griffin

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2015, 09:48:47 pm »
Creep
I know but it give me a good grounding to get my perfect job- window cleaning.
The wind rustling through trees, cats' meowing, it doesn't get any better than rubbing glass.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

CleanClear

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2015, 09:51:38 pm »

When did you last work for someone else, where was it, what hours did you do and what was your pay ?  ;D ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Tom White

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 10:50:36 pm »
Nice post  ;)

Yes I understand all that but still the actual process of cleaning glass is mind numbingly boring don't you think?

When we're bored, ultimately, we're bored with ourselves.  A lack of stress infers a peacefulness.  If we're working and feeling peaceful, we won't be feeling bored.  Why?  Because we'll be feeling peaceful, innit.

G Griffin

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »
Nice post  ;)

When we're bored, ultimately, we're bored with ourselves.  A lack of stress infers a peacefulness.  If we're working and feeling peaceful, we won't be feeling bored.  Why?  Because we'll be feeling peaceful, innit.
So it's nowt to do with the job, then?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐