Matt Birk

Split charger, help needed!
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:38 am »
Hi,
I got this split charger a while back, second hand but have never fitted it, due to not really knowing how. So with my limited knowledge and web research I think I have an idea but wanted to check with you guys first...
So I connect the small cable to the positive of the van battery? The cable is only short so does this stay under the bonnet?
On the back of the split charger the writing suggest that the small cable should be in the other box? As it's currently in the earth box! Does this matter or do I need to switch this over? And do I need to fit an earth wire?
The longer cable connects to my leisure battery.

Thanks

Don Kee

Re: Split charger, help needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:50 am »
I have that split, i'm sure you need a wire going to the van negative.
Search ebay for split charger relay. Click on the page and the instructions are on the page

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:26:43 pm »
If you look at the second image with the wiring diagram, the red wire is in the wrong connector. The bottom connector will be for the black negative wire and the second terminal in is for the postive cable (Red). Now these are your supply from your van battery, so the eye lug will go on the positive battery terminal of your van battery. You will need a black cable for the negative cable which can either be put on the negative battery terminal or a earth terminal on the van body/chassis.

On the other side of the split charge relay you will have 3 connectors. All you are interested in is the bottom terminal with battery on it although the top one with fridge will work just as well. The 3rd terminal connector could be used as a small continual power source from the van battery, ie another internal light etc as that terminal will be live. (These split charge relays are for caravan users. The fridge terminal is exactly that; its the wire that goes to the fridge to keep it cold and will only work when the car's engine is running. The same applies to the battery as its for the caravan's leisure battery only to be charged when the engine of the tow vehicle is running. The light connector is for the internal caravan lights which you can use even when the tow vehicle's engine isn't running.)  That cable goes to the postive terminal on your leisure battery. You then need to earth the negative terminal of you leisure battery with another black cable to the chassis/body of your van.

I would replace those clips with proper battery clamps if I were you. If you take the battery out to charge it, always make sure it goes back correctly and that you never start your engine with the battery out and the terminals lying around.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:01:17 pm »
Correction - the red wire is right if you flip it over, sorry. Here is a photo of the unit in my SIL's Ford Transit Connect. He just came in for water.

Red is from the van's battery. Black is to the chassis and the brown wire is to the leisure battery. The leisure battery negative has a wire to earth on the body.

Steve foster

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »
I had one of them split chargers. Best place I found was in the BIN. It only worked a few months.
30amp unit with bell wire on a 75 amp alternator to a 120 amp battery. See where I'm coming from.

mufcglen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »
any links to where i can get one of these split charge relays guys, ive got my eye on one of these off ebay at the mohttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321148454905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 03:26:44 pm »
any links to where i can get one of these split charge relays guys, ive got my eye on one of these off ebay at the mohttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321148454905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You don't want that one as it requires an additional wire from the alternator/ignition switch to activate it. That's why its cheaper. You want an intelligent one that works automatically.

Its the model TEC3

like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-switching-30A-Auto-Switch-Combi-Relay-TEC3M-/161219524445?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item25896eb75d#ht_879wt_1161

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:17 pm »
I had one of them split chargers. Best place I found was in the BIN. It only worked a few months.
30amp unit with bell wire on a 75 amp alternator to a 120 amp battery. See where I'm coming from.

We have good service from them.

I've never seen the amp meter go above 10 amps with my 110 amp leisure battery. The alternator on my Relay van is a 160 amp. If there was a short somewhere, then an inline fuse will have protected the circuit from damage.

I have had a 15amp fuse on the circuit and it's never blown in 5 years.

I don't know what the difference in the charging rate of a car battery is against a leisure battery if that was used as an auxillary battery to operate the wfp pump etc. I know a leisure battery doesn't accept a high rate of charge due to its design.

mufcglen

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 04:22:19 pm »
cool cheers spruce, which would you say is best out of the two you listed?

mark m

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 04:36:18 pm »

Matt Birk

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 05:15:08 pm »
Thanks Spruce, that's a massive help.
I'm guessing keeping it under the bonnet is not a great idea? Will look into getting a longer cable.

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »
Thanks Spruce, that's a massive help.
I'm guessing keeping it under the bonnet is not a great idea? Will look into getting a longer cable.

We have them inside the van, as I felt that they would be drier there.

My son's Partner van is under the passenger seat where his leisure 85amph battery is. Mine is in the cargo area and SIL is next to his controller at the rear doors. (The reason for that is that their was a provision for an auxillary power point in the people carrier which was also wired in the wiring harness on the van. We 'tapped' into that and put a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box as the handbook advised.

The amp/volt meter gauge was originally tested on his van that is now a permanent feature in my van and again his 85 amph battery didn't take anymore than 9 amps even although it was less than half charged when we initially installed it.