Washing Windows

Upgrading RO advice please
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:10:47 pm »
I would like to be able to produce a minimum of 600 litres of 0 tds water a day. Our mains water is 40 PSI.

I would like to know what is the most, ecologically friendly, economical system available that is also capable of upgrade.

Kind regards,

Duncan

Michael Peterson

Re: Upgrading RO advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:25:52 pm »
450gpd should just about do that, would defo do that with a booster pump, easy and cheep

ez pures from gardiners will all produce a lot more than that and fast

a 4040 would be the fastest and about the fastest avaliable

none will produce 0, you will need a polishing unit after them

windiewasher

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
Get a 4040 and you never need to change again
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Don Kee

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33:37 pm »
If you want something that can be upgraded i wouldnt bother with a 450gpd r.o (although it'll suit your present needs)
40/40 hf5 is the way you want go really, you can adjust the pure to waste ratio and you shouldn't need a booster pump with a hf5 membrane (you prob need a booster pump with a hf4)

As stated, you'd still need a D.I to get you TDS down to 0

Washing Windows

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:12 pm »
We already use a 200gpd system that I upgraded from 100gpd a year or so ago. It has 2 x 10" prefilters and a 10" 1 litre resin (DI?) container. We use a booster pump for that unit atm. We store our water in a 1000 litre IBC in the garage.

Business really took off in the last quarter of last year and is looking to do even better this year. We typically get through 600 - 700 litres of water a day at the moment and I'm hoping that is going to increase.

I have read a little about the 4040 systems but I don't understand what the catch is to 5hf membrane over the 4hf... I'm assuming it's the quality of the water production before it is polished?

Many thanks,

Duncan

Don Kee

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »
The hf5 costs more but works on lower pressure.
Hf4 ideally you want at least 60psi +

200gpd is no where near rnough, your r.o must be on constant?!?!
Change both membranes to 150's and add another 150 to make it a 450gpd r.o.
With your booster you'll notice the difference!!

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:57:43 pm »
We already use a 200gpd system that I upgraded from 100gpd a year or so ago. It has 2 x 10" prefilters and a 10" 1 litre resin (DI?) container. We use a booster pump for that unit atm. We store our water in a 1000 litre IBC in the garage.

Business really took off in the last quarter of last year and is looking to do even better this year. We typically get through 600 - 700 litres of water a day at the moment and I'm hoping that is going to increase.

I have read a little about the 4040 systems but I don't understand what the catch is to 5hf membrane over the 4hf... I'm assuming it's the quality of the water production before it is polished?

Many thanks,

Duncan

The HF5 will do you fine on that water pressure. We upgraded our 450GPD unit to a 4040. The 450 GPD unit would support 2 vans using about 800 litres a day (400 each) with no booster pump. But drawing of water had to be planned and shared especially toward the end of a full week. I would fill my 650 litre tank up on Saturday and my son's 500 litre tank on Sunday. We could guarantee a full IBC tank by Monday evening in the winter when production was slower.
(Our 1000 litre IBC tank also has a float switch and solenoid valve so it switches the water off when the tank is full and restarts it when we empty some off.)

By the end of the week both vans were empty and the IBC tank was about 1/2 full. We worked like this for around 5 years.

Once we got a third part time van on the round we found that we didn't have enough water in the winter.

The 4040 is such a pleasure for as long as there is a gap of a couple of hours, we can fill two vans up in the morning and one at night. The IBC tank will be full the next morning.
Water pressure currently is 50 psi. We have an HF5 membrane and don't use a booster pump. TDS in is 115 and tds out before di is 2.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Tony Edwards

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:18 pm »

Spruce

did you shop around on price ?

Whats the best place you would recommend price wise

cheers

Washing Windows

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:50 pm »
24/7

didn't know you could do that. They use the same housing?

Booster goes inline after the prefilters but before the membranes, is that right?

Thanks for the replies guys,

Duncan

jk999

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:13 pm »
Spruce what size di do you use and how often do you change resin and at what tds reading is it when you change cheerskev

Don Kee

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:28 am »
24/7

didn't know you could do that. They use the same housing?

Booster goes inline after the prefilters but before the membranes, is that right?

Thanks for the replies guys,

Duncan

Yep same housing, and yep thats were the booster pump goes (some have it before pre filters, i was recommended after and begore membranes)

Washing Windows

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »
After thinking about it during today, I think the hf5 4040 is the way to go to start with and the missus will be ecstatic if we no longer need a pump running all day and all night! :D

To save a little money to start with, can I use the 2 x 10" prefilters my from my existing system?
I note on a couple of other systems that they use 3 different prefilters. Is that necessary?
Again to save a little money, can I use the 1 litre resin container from my existing system?

40/40 hf5 is the way you want go really, you can adjust the pure to waste ratio
How can the pure to waste ratio be adjusted? You lost me there. :(

Many thanks again,

Duncan

robert mitchell

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:22:35 pm »
two ten inch filters will be fine but will need to be changed regularly , 20inch housings are not that expensive.

i still use the 10 inch ones just because i still have spare filters to get through.

The 1 litre resin vessel would be better replaced with a 7 litre or more vessel (around £20-30 on ebay)

you don't need the three pre filters , one sediment and then carbon or just a single fibre dyne  .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:07 pm »
Spruce could you plz help me out mate I'm going to kit my garage out and you sound like a decent sort mate ,I am at present thinking off using my old ionics quatro and putting water through this as my production line but am having bother with this as per my last post ,,,should I give up on this idea and start afresh I do value your opinnion mate as if it's going to cost to much I don't mind starting afresh could you send me pic off your set up our talk me through it prices etc what I would need ..as I'm just starting out in AFP I stay in Scotland where water is pretty soft to start with,,,,over the next year I'm looking to be able to run 3 500ltr vans any advice mucho appreciated

Don Kee

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
After thinking about it during today, I think the hf5 4040 is the way to go to start with and the missus will be ecstatic if we no longer need a pump running all day and all night! :D

To save a little money to start with, can I use the 2 x 10" prefilters my from my existing system?
I note on a couple of other systems that they use 3 different prefilters. Is that necessary?
Again to save a little money, can I use the 1 litre resin container from my existing system?

40/40 hf5 is the way you want go really, you can adjust the pure to waste ratio
How can the pure to waste ratio be adjusted? You lost me there. :(

Many thanks again,

Duncan

Yes you can use your exisiting prefilters, but as stated you'll have to change them more often. If your saving on the money then use the 10'' forva while and then chsnge to the 20''
If you go with the 4040 the 1litre cannister will be rubbish if i'm honest.
I had a 1litre d.i after my 450gpd but after a month i was sick of changing the resin once a week, so i had a 25litre d.i vessel off a mate and not had to change resin coming coming up to a year now. (I'm not saying get something as big as a 25litre d.i but i'd get at least a 11litre)
And you can adjust the waste/pure ration in a 4040.
So you can set it to produce 40% pure, 60% waste or 50/50 etc....
The lower % pure you set it to the lower the waste but then you obviously dont produce the water as quickly, so you set it to what suits you. (Most go around 60pure 40% waste i think)

Washing Windows

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 06:26:06 pm »
Chatted with the missus over dinner and we are going to dig the credit card out and go for hf5 4040 membrane and housing. I told you she'd be pleased to see the back of the pump. :D

Any recommendations on brand / supplier?

Also... does a Fibredyne pre-filter need a special housing?

I really appreciate all the help.

Regards,

Duncan

Don Kee

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »
Vyair for the membrane and housing,or daqua.(think vyair are a little cheaper)
Lool on there site mate and read up on what you might need. I dont know that much about the fibredyne, so you'd have to ask about...(maybe make a new thread about it)

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:33 pm »
In all honesty I bought bits and pieces everywhere and made my own up.

I wanted 20" prefilters with clear housings and I got the 4040 housing and membrane from GAPS.

TBH it wasn't worth the hassle and I would look for a supplier such as GAPS who will supply you a complete kit.

You will always have to find other JG fittings to suit your preferred setup. I wanted to build a cabinet for mine and I added an inline TDS meter and a DI vessel. The system also has a tube heater and thermostat set at 8 degrees C so I don't have to worry about it freezing up. Also in the cabinet is a solenoid valve so its all contained.

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
Chatted with the missus over dinner and we are going to dig the credit card out and go for hf5 4040 membrane and housing. I told you she'd be pleased to see the back of the pump. :D

Any recommendations on brand / supplier?

Also... does a Fibredyne pre-filter need a special housing?

I really appreciate all the help.

Regards,

Duncan

No, it fits most conventional prefilter housings - 10" and 20".

A 4040 needs prefilter housings with 1/2" fittings. Anything smaller isn't big enough.

Washing Windows

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:06 pm »
A 4040 needs prefilter housings with 1/2" fittings. Anything smaller isn't big enough.

Does that mean I can't use my existing pre-filter housings that have a 1/8" thread to 1/4" tube?

Thanks,

Duncan