Peter Fogwill

Re: Never using Pure freedom again !
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 11:13:47 pm »
Lee I think the opposite could be a problem with some water not reaching the glass while travelling through the brush on a low flow.  I never have the problem with the water splashing back as the brush is always on the glass, but I suppose this is for another post, this one is about a faulty flow controller.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:00 pm »
If I am not saving water, I am not saving battery power either. I also get as continuos flow as I would get on full power with a controller.  I only have one button to press on at the start of the day as well.  Pressure switch turns the pump off as soon as the water has stopped.  I know people are always going to use flow controllers, but I just want people to know that there are options.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:05 pm »
I know for a fact I am not wasting water having the pump on full blast. If I turn the pump down I am wasting time, and not saving water.  Remember I would only be using water when the brush is on the glass and cleaning.  I am not spraying water on the walls going from window to window, and not wasting water while putting the pole up and down.  A window takes a certain amount of water to clean, the faster that water is delivered the faster that window is clean and you can move on to the next one.

DG pressure switches are very cheap but you don't even have to replace them if you have a relay.  The relay is much meatier than the little flimsy pressure switches and last much longer.  They are also easier to replace as you just change over 4 spades with nothing to open.

That's just theory Peter & evidence IMO that you don't do much if any window cleaning anymore? What about spider nests, bird poo etc etc that requires scrubbing or hooking out with the bristles? You'll be wasting water on a massive scale in these situations & if not then you will be wasting time with a constant on//off flow.

There is a point where there is an "optimum" flow rate, any more is wasted & any less is costing you time. That "optimum" rate is miles away from the rate an un-controlled pump runs at! Using a pump at full flow smacks of lack of skill/experience IMO. ;D

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:20 pm »
 ???

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 11:33:44 pm »
That's exactly why in my opinion you need a good reliable easy way of turning your water off.  You can't take double the time cleaning every pane of glass on the off chance you will come across something that needs a bit of extra scrubbing, so you can save a tiny ammount if water.

My optimum flow rate is full power on a 100psi pump and if need be I can turn the water on and off with very little effort.  Remember the only reason controllers were introduced in this market in the first place was to stop the pump cycling as too many switches were burning out.  They were not introduced to save water or battery power.

stuart mc

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50:23 pm »
That's exactly why in my opinion you need a good reliable easy way of turning your water off.  You can't take double the time cleaning every pane of glass on the off chance you will come across something that needs a bit of extra scrubbing, so you can save a tiny ammount if water.

My optimum flow rate is full power on a 100psi pump and if need be I can turn the water on and off with very little effort.  Remember the only reason controllers were introduced in this market in the first place was to stop the pump cycling as too many switches were burning out.  They were not introduced to save water or battery power.

I used to bang on about this subject but got fed up with the constant backlash, some folk have thanked me though, as it has worked our for them, and in return I thank peter, who explained it to me in the first place, I know what works and the rest can crack on doing what ever they please

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:32 am »
Stuart I am a glutton for punishment, I do sometimes get fed up and let them get on with it but every now and again I give it another go.  I know damn well everyone is not going to change the way they work just because someone on a post in a forum says its best.  It is frustrating though that there is not a more positive attitude to something that could potentially save a lot of hassle and a lot of time. If it didn't work out they could always revert back.  It is not just this part of water fed pole work I get stuck in lengthy debates about, there are others as well. I am glad though I could have been of assistance to you, it makes it all worthwhile.

Dave Willis

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 12:06:16 am »
The thing is with a controller and a tap the flow can be altered from a dribble to a full blast or off and on. It seems the more versatile option to me, plus pressure control.
All done from the pole, no remote, no walking back to the van no spraying up the walls.

rosskesava

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:27 am »
Having read this entire thread, I'm so glad I no longer use a flow controller of any sort other than a very very cheap voltage regulator which I only ever adjust for a few odd jobs.

I no longer use taps or Aquadapters or anything. If I want to stop the water flow, I kink the hose which I have outside the pole which lasts longer due to that.

2 years of working that way and not a single problem.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

8weekly

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 05:47:29 am »
Having read this entire thread, I'm so glad I no longer use a flow controller of any sort other than a very very cheap voltage regulator which I only ever adjust for a few odd jobs.

I no longer use taps or Aquadapters or anything. If I want to stop the water flow, I kink the hose which I have outside the pole which lasts longer due to that.

2 years of working that way and not a single problem.

That just seems such a faff to me. A tap on the pole does add a small amount of weight, but it is at the bottom of the pole.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 08:31:29 am »
Thanks for the replies I don't use a controller but I have a pole tap that I use to turn water off between windows which does save a lot of water.
Also if I need to vary the flow I turn the valve a bit.
It seems thus far to work very well.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:41 am »
I worked like Peter for 2 years, I would never go back to it, it was a total pain!!

Lee GLS

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 08:50:01 am »
A controller is a must if you have hot water, or the pressure builds up to much and starts blowing connectors.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2013, 09:15:43 am »
I worked like Peter for 2 years, I would never go back to it, it was a total pain!!

How does he work, is it using no controller?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:21 am »
Back to the original thread -

When you change batteries, what prevents you from accidently putting the crocodile clips on the wrong terminals - anything?

The controller thread within the original thread.

Winproclean is set in his ways on this one. Peter is talking sense. (and yes I go back far enough to remember using Peter's "useless" on off remote with my trolley system ;D)

I dropped a flow controller years ago - waste of time and money. I use a tap on my belt between the end of the reel hose and where the pole hose clips in.

So I've tried a remote; a controller; a tap on the belt.

It's a game of three halves!

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:46 am »
A controller is a must if you have hot water, or the pressure builds up to much and starts blowing connectors.

Lee that will only be the case if you don't set the pressure switch screw on the pump.  Now the pumps comes fully screwed in as standard so as the pressure builds up far too much and people think a controller is necessary. It's not.

This may have went a bit off subject a bit, but it lets the original poster know that there is an alternative to a flow controller, and if he wasn't using a flow controller he wouldn't be having the problem he is now.  While I am at it I want him to realise that by eliminating a controller which is the most problematic part of any system, he won't be using more water per window.  He will be using more water per day though, but will be earning more money, or finished his work much quicker.

Lee GLS

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:20 am »

Lee that will only be the case if you don't set the pressure switch screw on the pump.  Now the pumps comes fully screwed in as standard so as the pressure builds up far too much and people think a controller is necessary. It's not.

This may have went a bit off subject a bit, but it lets the original poster know that there is an alternative to a flow controller, and if he wasn't using a flow controller he wouldn't be having the problem he is now.  While I am at it I want him to realise that by eliminating a controller which is the most problematic part of any system, he won't be using more water per window.  He will be using more water per day though, but will be earning more money, or finished his work much quicker.

Peter, do you know if it possible to adjust the pressure switch on a shuroflo pump? I know you can on the flojets, but I haven't got one of those, only a shurflo

Dave Willis

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2013, 10:58:43 am »
lots of things are unnecessary in this job. took me five years to realise a leisure battery was unnecessary. Aquadapter - unnecessary, carbon - unnecessary, trad skills - unnecessary and so on.
However, lots of products help the controller being one of them, provided you've got a good one. I had two varistreams brand new one after the other - utter crap! Now I have the simplest analogue from Spring and it's been superb. I've even left the van switched on overnight and pressured up without a problem.
How do you guys alter the pressure on a frosty morning? Or don't you?

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:09 am »

Peter, do you know if it possible to adjust the pressure switch on a shuroflo pump? I know you can on the flojets, but I haven't got one of those, only a shurflo

Yes Lee there is a little Allen head screw on the black switch part at the very end inside a small round hole.  You will probably find its screwed all the way in.  Turn it anticlockwise until its say level with the hole entry, set up your system with brush etc and have it running.  Screw in until it runs continuous.

Lee GLS

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2013, 11:15:57 am »

Yes Lee there is a little Allen head screw on the black switch part at the very end inside a small round hole.  You will probably find its screwed all the way in.  Turn it anticlockwise until its say level with the hole entry, set up your system with brush etc and have it running.  Screw in until it runs continuous.

Thanks Peter, I'm still going to use a contoller though  ;D, but sometimes the DE won't set quite right as I use hot water, so if I set the pressure switch, then it will help prevent too much pressure build up.