Watters

Getting Regular Customers
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »
I've only recently set up (traditional) - the problem is that everyone who is ringing to book, are saying they just want a one-off clean. This is when they first ring up (so it's definitely nothing to do with my cleaning lol).

Im having a real job finding anyone who is even considering a regular booking.....its always 'oh, I only need to book a one-off'....

Any advice/tips?

sean mcc

Re: Getting Regular Customers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:26 pm »
When i started which was not that long ago i decided i only wanted to take on regular customers so i do not offer one off cleans until i have a good round built up first. :)

WGB

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:07:20 pm »
When they ring just give them a price for each frequency 4, 8 weekly or 6, 12 weekly what ever you use, dont mention one off untill they refuse point blank regular cleaning. Wayne

Paul Clapham

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:37:03 pm »
If they are local to you , ( and you have little work on ) why not do a one off clean for them at a "one off clean price " you may well turn them into a regular customer , and /or pick work up from other locals ? 
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »
Unfortunately when you first start out, it is sometimes difficult to find regular customers.
Don't forget, all the roads you are targetting with your flyers are going to have been leafleted and canvassed many, many times before over the years. You just have to be patient and persistent and eventually the jobs will come.
Once you get one happy customer it often leads to others anyway, their neighbours see you working, their family and friends ask for quotes etc, and it soon builds up.
Obviously your best bet would be to buy some established work, or maybe pay a canvasser to get you some work, although i'd only advise employing a canvasser if they come to you highly recommended as i've had a bad experience myself with a rubbish canvassing firm.
Good luck mate

rich fraser

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:33 pm »
Get out and do the one offs. If you are just starting it will be good to be seen out working, doing a good job and being polite. Potential customers will notice these things more than leaflets being shoved through there door. No one likes a pushy sell. Watching any tradesman out the window doing a good job is the best bit of advertising you can do IMO

Tom White

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
If you agree to do a one-off, make sure you price it at least double what you would charge for a normal clean.  At least!  Check it first too, if it's covered in paint splatters, green, hasn't been done in years, go a lot higher.

It's rare I do a one-off clean because I charge well for them, so most decline.  

Today I was asked twice; some bloke just said, "Can you do number 19, tops only", I said, "Yes, but my minimum price is £20!" (It would've been for about four windows; dormer bungalow) and he declined.  Another said - after I gave her my price - "I have to speak with my husband first!", and I never heard back.

But I know if I charge cheap, I'll regret it, so I don't.

As per what the rest said, you'll have to be determined and stick at it.

stuart mc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:27 pm »
Watters, where are the potential customers getting your number, leaflet, website what? and how is it worded? this may give a clue on why lots are asking

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:57:36 pm »
"I have to speak with my husband first!"

:D I hear that line quite a lot aswell and never hear back

Watters

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:05:13 am »
Cheers for all your advice. I have been going out & doing the one-offs and have had very positive feedback. It just seems that the area im in, people have already made up their mind its a one off when they first get in touch. I haven't turned them down as it's all work at the end of the day being as i'm first starting out.

I haven't been charging anymore for the one-offs, so thanks for the advice to charge extra.

I've been leafleting, put an ad in a local monthly magazine that gets pushed through every door in my village & surrounding villages, put ad in shop window and used Facebook (which Im actually getting most of my custom from)

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:14 am »
I dont know what your doing wrong??. 9 out of 10 want a regular service, seems odd all wanting 1 offs. Maybe its the way you come accross offering your services??. Dont give them a choice, i have everyone on 4 weekly with exceptions of some 8weekly.

G Griffin

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36:17 am »
Make a regular clean sound appealing; sell it to them.
Say 'a one off clean would be £X but for only £X a year you could have them cleaned monthly or bi-monthly'.
I suppose a lot depends on what you charge for a one off, though.

Another option is to 'sell' the frequency of clean.
Say 'if you have them done just 6/12 (or 10 to allow for weather/holidays) I can do it for £X a time'.
Emphasise the frequency- '10 times a year, it's not a lot is it? And I guarantee it won't cost you more than £X for the year. That's for a full year'.
The word 'year' is bit overused, there, but it might be less off putting than saying month or monthly.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 05:52:41 pm »
I think you need to be very careful, offering one offs at a high price then offering regular at a lower price.  If the custy has already decided he/she only wants a one off, they'll agree to the regular price then cancel after you've done it once!!

I ask everyone who enquires: "Are you looking for a one off or a regular service?"  If they say a one off, I say; "I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't help you".

Once they've told you they only want a one off, they're not going to be reliable 'regular' customers.

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:35 pm »
 ;D That's what I say.

You should see some of their faces when they realise the "silly  ;)" windie has got them to show their hand.

And answers "oh sorry i don't do 1 offs"
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle