Dick

Static/winter sunshine??
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:38:29 pm »
I have recently had two complaints about marks left on patio windows. As a trad cleaner using squegee/scrim I am not used to complaints as I take care not to leave any marks.
The problem appears to be static, causing some "bits" of the scrim to adhere to the glass and looks worse as the sun is still low in the sky. It's easily remedied by another light dusting with the scrim, but nevertheless is annoying as the customer thinks the glass is still dirty.
I wash scrims every week so they are clean.
Has anyone else had the a similar problem?
Any solutions/suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers
Dick :-\

Moderator David@stives

Re: Static/winter sunshine??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:50:38 pm »
Thingy

from time to time you get this problem could be caused out of a combination of many things ,temperature etc

This time of the year realy highlights the problems with squeegieng probably due to the angle of the sun in the sky.

Do not worry about it ,it will soon pass>  In all probability it is there all the time just that every tiny little mark gets highlighted this time of year.

poleman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:03:45 pm »
been trad window cleaner for many years and I damped down the dry scrim by ring with the wet one, this stop the static, and also when doing leaded lights it helps on hot days.

Andy     

*foxman

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:34:19 pm »
Use Microfibre!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 08:57:23 pm »
It also occurs on certain types of glass.
Some of the modern plate stuff seems to have a much flatter, mat finish, causing more 'drag' on your scrim (or microfibre, it can occur with that too!).
Combine that with low winter sunshine and every flaw in your work will show up.

When that light is at the right angle and position you will even see lines from where you turn your squeegee.
A slightly damp scrim or microfibre reduces the 'fluff' left behind though, but you are better not to touch the glass after squeegeeing at all, as Squeaky said in another thread, don't wash quite to the edges of the pane, and quickly wipe around the edges with a damp scrim...sort of pre-detail detailing ;D
Then if your squeegeeing is up to scratch you won't need to do any further detailing ;)

You will find this won't happen on old fashioned glass, the finish is far more 'shiny'.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:31:33 pm »
Mr.Giles knows best, he taught me everything I know.

Well, most of it....I just perfected it. ;D

I can't add to that, it's exactly what I was going to tell you.
Mind how you go!