twt

Trolley upgrade????
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:19:22 pm »
i am using wfp more and more but there are some streets where loads of house have windows above flat roofs so i just trad all houses on these streets. for a while now i have been thinking of building a new trolley which has space to load one of those teloscopic ladders on it so i could kill two birds with one stone and be able to carry wfp and ladders around at the same time. has anyone else done this? and if so how did you get on? also has anyone got experience with these type of ladders?

Paul Coleman

Re: Trolley upgrade????
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:35:02 pm »
i am using wfp more and more but there are some streets where loads of house have windows above flat roofs so i just trad all houses on these streets. for a while now i have been thinking of building a new trolley which has space to load one of those teloscopic ladders on it so i could kill two birds with one stone and be able to carry wfp and ladders around at the same time. has anyone else done this? and if so how did you get on? also has anyone got experience with these type of ladders?

I have been using a telescopic ladder.  They're a great idea but I'm currently having an issue with one of the metal unlocking hooks coming out.  This part doesn't seem to be particularly robust.  I need to devise a way around this but haven't yet got around to figuring out exactly how.  If you get one, I suggest paying the bit extra and going for 3.8 metres rather than the 3.3.
I wouldn't want to work from one of these ladders but just use it for access to get onto flat rooves and to extend a bit to lean over some gates.

twt

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 10:38:06 pm »
do you carry it on your wfp trolley?

poles apart

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:38:42 pm »
I use one and don't have a problem with it. Clean it down before you close it every time though.

twt

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:40:05 pm »
how much did you guys pay for them?

poles apart

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 10:45:24 pm »
I think I paid about £160

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 10:52:16 pm »
Check this out on a telescopic ladder, Im not sure if it slipped or just failed though  ??? http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/qvc.asp
Sussex by the sea

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 11:13:58 pm »

brett walker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:14:21 pm »
Ive use a double pointer this allows you to get flat roofs, unbolt gates and windows you cant reach by standing on the ground.  It saves having the big ladder on the car when your wfp'ing but unfortunately it does not fit on my trolley but it saves lugging the big ladder round just for access

Brett.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:03 pm »
Check this out on a telescopic ladder, Im not sure if it slipped or just failed though  ??? http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/qvc.asp
Looks to me like the guy just fell off it rather than being a problem with the ladder.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 11:21:27 pm »
Ive use a double pointer this allows you to get flat roofs, unbolt gates and windows you cant reach by standing on the ground.  It saves having the big ladder on the car when your wfp'ing but unfortunately it does not fit on my trolley but it saves lugging the big ladder round just for access

Brett.

The good thing about the telescopic ladder though is that they can fit inside the vehicle much more easily.  Also, upgrading to WFP often means getting a larger (and taller) van making it harder to reach up for a ladder.  Points are fine too so long as you don't mind reaching up.
Mind you, none of this answers the query about fitting it onto a trolley.  If someone is a handy DIYer, I'm sure there must be a way.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:57:19 am »
Well I never, I have never heard of a telescopic ladder before :o
If it is any good it would be great for occasional access to a flat roof, or climbing over a wall or fence.

That accident is one of those types that I'll bet all of us who use ladders have come close to on the odd occasion.
As he was coming down he misjudged his footing and his foot slipped off the rung, taking him by surprise, maybe because of the fact he had that duster in his hand it prevented him from keeping hold of the ladder and down he went.
Because he wasn't holding onto the ladder correctly, one hand would have had a much tighter grip than the other, the hand holding that duster would have come away, his body twisted slightly and he was unbalanced....thud!
I've had this one happen to me on many occasions over the years, maybe a wet foot that slips of the rung or something, but I've always climbed correctly, your foot slips through the rung a...er...foot or so :-\ but you recover safely.

Dread to think what would happen if you were 20ft up a ladder and the same thing happens and you suffer the same fate as the muppet in the clip!
Or your foot doesn't come out from between the ladder rungs and you are left dangling 20ft up a ladder with a broken leg...and all your weight suspended from that broken leg :'( :o :'(

Thats the trouble with getting older, you can visualise the consequences of an accident.
Now, if my foot slips of the curb I'm going, "Phew... :o Could have done myself a real mischief there...hope I haven't put me back out :-["

Right, time to get to work, going to stay well within the speed limit and I won't break the 2 second rule (I'd be a fool to do so ;D) Maybe I'll make it a 4 second gap just to be on the safe side ::)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 10:05:46 pm »
Now Phill,

Don't you go nickin' that fold-away ladder for the CFS visits!!!!!!!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest