Privately ran residential care homes.
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:04:35 pm »
I've two privately run residential care homes to write a quote for; both are big jobs by my standards.  It's outside only (which is great) as the manager told me that the insides are cleaned by their cleaners (they aren't at the minute).

Wor Lass used to work in one of them as a nurse and says the owner is 'Scottish' by nature.  I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)

But I'm guessing the owner feels that his windows require cleaning; as dirty windows aren't a sign of a healthy environment/business and one of his care homes can only be done with WFP; realistically.  Unless the owner opted for just the ground and first floor to be cleaned.

I've only ever quoted for one care home (with the assistance of Ian Giles) and didn't get the job.

Should I underprice and do a 'basic job'?  Should I quote 'high' and then instigate a discussion with the owner?

What's your opinions?

www.mrgutters.co.uk

Re: Privately ran residential care homes.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 06:17:47 pm »
i do a privately run one its got about 50 or so windows front is 3 floors rear is just two then a conservatory roof , about 4m X4m i charged 250  first clean and 160 there after every 8 weeks

believe they have enuf money

takes me 3 hours , and i get a free lunch .

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 06:20:03 pm »
Tosh

You have been going long enough to know how long a job will take, put in a good price, and tell them what you provide [saftey policy, risk assesment, methord statement] and above all a service that will be second to none.

Tell them if they are doubtfull you will do one clean, if they are not delighted pay me and call it a day.

If they want a cheap job they are going to end up  with a cowboy wich may lead to them being prosicuted.

Roy

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 06:24:20 pm »
Tosh

I have got one with 100 windows each with 3 panes top and side openers and main piece 5' by 5' and i charge £70 for that and it still works out at good money.

Realy i should charge more but i do 3 of them in a day and it gives a good days pay.

Push for every 4 weeks all mine are and i have got 6 altogether. If they go for less this just proves they are penny pinchers.

Do they want there residents to stare out of dirty windows ?

They have to give residents the same quality of life as being at home and that includes being able to look out of a clean window

Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 06:45:44 pm »
Cheers guys, you've all given me 'food for thought'.

I was really wondering if I'd get any replies saying, 'Care Homes are tight as the proverbial gnats thingy'.

Wor Lass, positive as ever, told me her ex-boss won't cough up a fair price.  He even employs Phillipeanos because he pays them less than UK workers; despite the fact the 'inmates' can't understand them and vice versa.

Thanks.

Morph

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 06:50:11 pm »
How many residents, Tosh?
They pass the charge on to their rent/services.
So, eg. 20 residences + communal areas =

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 06:53:44 pm »
How many residents, Tosh?
They pass the charge on to their rent/services.
So, eg. 20 residences + communal areas =

I don't know, PJ.  I never thought to ask!  Looking at some of them though, I guess the number fluctuates on a daily basis!

Morph

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 07:04:30 pm »
[

I don't know, PJ. I never thought to ask! Looking at some of them though, I guess the number fluctuates on a daily basis!

Yes fluctuation is a problem when you get older.

It helps to know how many.  If they were in their own home they would be happy to pay £5 a month.  So if you work that bit out pro rata, plus the time to do the communal areas.
If the outside appearance is important to the management they will pay well.
If it's run down, they won't.  Is it a quality place.  Do they charge high rent?
Find out if you can.  Poor old folks.  Don't feel bad though.  You can be sure the owners are ripping them off, and we are rapidly becoming an "older" society, so it's a growth area Tosh.  Get in there

williamx

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 07:38:09 pm »
Tosh

It might be tempting to under quote to get the job, but beware of this, as in time you could end up regretting it.

I would look at how many windows need cleaning, what the access is like, if there are problem areas like car parking, also be aware of wandering residents and hoses.

Find out how many windows there are and times that by £1.00 then try to work out how long its going to take to clean them, and times that figure by the hourly rate you are willing to work for.  This should give you the lowest figure that the job is profitable for you.

Don't forget that you work with the missus so you have to calulate her time in as well.

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 05:13:19 pm »
One of my customers who is a millionaire owns 12 or more of these homes, i am currrently in talks with him about taking them all on.

Brett

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:16:19 pm »
I put the quotes - in person - in this morning.

£180 for one; every eight weeks.

£120 for the other; every eight weeks.

They're fairly priced.

Cheers for giving me some 'back-bone'.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 07:53:53 pm »
what happened to 4 weekly  ???

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 08:04:30 pm »
what happened to 4 weekly  ???

Their previous window cleaner only did it twice a year, I know this for a fact.

I think I'm pushing it at 8 weekly!

KJG

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 08:38:58 pm »
These private homes charge the poor old buggers a fortune for everything so don't be afraid to put in a likewise quote. If you do get the job, try asking some of the pensioners what the home is charging them for cleaning :o

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:00:09 pm »
All mine are 4 weekly i would not have it any other way

But Good luck Tosh i hope you get them

Dave

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 09:58:20 pm »
All mine are 4 weekly i would not have it any other way

But Good luck Tosh i hope you get them

Dave

One of the 'homes' is a proper 'illigitamate child'.

The three-story front is right by an extremely busy main road with a narrow pavement, and the rear is four-story (sounds strange I know) but it's 'deeper' round the rear. 

It's situatated like a terraced house, as in there's no immediate access around from the front to the rear.

Also to the rear, there's a flat roof between the first two stories and the top two stories, so, for these two top floors, you can't gain access with your WFP from the ground. 

So that'll mean both ladders and a long hose.

I'm not sure I'd want to do it every month, but I'm sure I could clean the whole building in an afternoon.

The other place is 'bulky', with lots of bay windows (14 top and 11 rear, two conservatories plus quite a few other windows), but simple to do.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if I got the job for what I quoted.

I even offered the manager a demonstration of how a WFP works, but she was too interested in reading her paper (I suspect) and it was too cold for her.  'Mr XXXXX makes the decision anyway', she told me.

So it's just a case of 'wait out' at the minute!

If I were Mr XXXXXX I'd phone around for a few other quotes!

No doubt he will too.

Londoner

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 09:41:21 am »
My experiece with homes like this has not been with windows but I think its still significant.
They charge a fortune to the residents but begrudge every penny they have to pay out in services.
My view is they want the cheapest possible quote with no frills.