Craguss

Best ladder to use???
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:47:34 am »
Thought i would throw this out and see what response from everybody!

what ladder would you recommend for cleaning a 3 story house? Quite high, but couldn't give you exact measurements.
I'm thinking of buying a three tier ladder, but worried about weight etc...

Any suggestions?

Craguss

supernova77

Re: Best ladder to use???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:56:38 am »
WFP  ;)

datec66

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:12:22 am »
I do some of these and it's hard work mate.  You'd need a triple 3.5m ladder, a double 4m would do it for me but you need to be mega tall to extend it.  The triple will give you more stabilty. It's very difficult however carrying a triple 3.5m, ESPECIALLY round the back. If you need to go over a fence, GET A KEY or advise owner to leave gate unlocked. Otherwise, you need a miracle to lift it over a 6ft fence :'(

WFP is my way for these hopefully in the future.

For ladders, I got some Titan's from www.midlandladders.net. Great price, free delivery.  Make sure you get the special feet at the bottom, otherwise, WFP them ;D.

Carl

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 04:56:55 pm »
Just out of interest, how much does a decent quality three tier ladder cost?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 05:48:37 pm »

I paid £165 for mine.

gaza

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 05:55:12 pm »
LADDERS, WHATS LADDERS,all this talk  of triple exenstenders ,A Frames is confusing me ??? THE BEST ONE IS A PIPE UP THE MIDDLE ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:58:58 pm »

I paid £165 for mine.

Well for around another £200 to £300 you could've been up and running with a WFP.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 06:02:06 pm »
Well for around another £200 to £300 you could've been up and running with a WFP.
Hmmm, only 3 times the price then.... and it didn't exist when I bought the ladder anyway.

Doubt wfp would have gone 5 years without a single fault either.
People are having problems on here every day.

Much better value. 8)

brett walker

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 06:09:17 pm »
wfp 8) wfp :) wfp ;)

brett

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 06:13:22 pm »
3 storey house with ladders  ;D

no chance  >:(

im keeping my feet firmly on the ground for 3 storey work ;)

Brett

gaza

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 06:21:13 pm »
3 STOREY ON LADDERS JACK A NORY, JACK A NORY
  GAZA

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 06:35:56 pm »
  GAZA

Gaza,

I think they mean second-floor, which is a three-story building.

I've done this on ladders.

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 06:51:54 pm »
Personally, I would not again use a 3 extention ladder. I have done and the one I bought was made by Ramsay and cost about £300 ordered through a local cleaning suppliers but if I was to buy the same again, I'd search the net for it.

I now use a 2 extention A frame if I need to use a ladder. Anything higher and either it doesn't get done or it's done by other methods.

It's also worth remembering that 9m is the legal maximum height for a ladder when window cleaning.

Also, I don't think Craguss was asking a quesion about wfp or whether he should be using it. It's almost like as soon as there is a question about trad methods and the like, the 'WFP is better' crops up. Personally, if I was new or newish to this forum I would find that very off putting if I posted a likewise question.

Cheers

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 06:59:14 pm »
  GAZA

Gaza,

I think they mean second-floor, which is a three-story building.

I've done this on ladders.

So have I Tosh but I stopped doing those jobs a few years ago.  I just didn't fancy going that high on a ladder any more with or without H & S guidelines.

neil100

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 07:12:01 pm »
http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/Pulex.html

The above link is were I bought my new ladder from just before Xmas. Very good prices,Wooden sides ally rungs extends to 21'3".

Thats despite me putting an hell of a lot more into wfp.

If the Drought order comes in, I have got my base covered.

Nel.

gaza

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 07:31:51 pm »
TOSH: DO YOU MEAN houses with a basement [below the pavement] then two floors up? :-\ with a nice spiked fence ready to catch you on if you fell?

gaza

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:18 pm »
Hi Gaza

I know you mean well but it's not a fact that every window cleaner that ever was, is or will be, who uses ladders, is destined to fall of it and end up dead or crippled for life.

Best not use a car/van/bus/coach/lorry either because that car/van/bus/coach/lorry will get wrapped around lamposts or end up in smashups on the motorway. Car drivers get killed or crippled so if you drive a car, you will die or get crippled.

gaza

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 09:39:11 pm »
ROSS:FAIR POINT, NOT EVERYONNE IN THE PUB IS DRUNK BUT WEVE NEARLY ALL BEEN THERE,IF NOT WEVE HAD HANNGOVERS.

POINT BEING WEVE ALL HAD A FEW HEART IN MOUTH MOMENTS,ME FOR ONE 16 FT HEAD FIRST INTO A YORKSHIRE STONE WALL.JUST COULDNT IMAGINE ANYONE WANTING TO WORK IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES,WITH ADDED DANGERS BUILT IN.

A W/C I KNOW 26 YRS W/CLEANING NEVER HAD A FALL,NEARLY 2 YRS LATER AFTER FALLING OUT OF THE TOP OF HIS WHEELIE BIN HES JUST RETURNING BACK TO WORK,BUT WALKS WITH A VERY BAD LIMP [SO IN THIS TRADE IVE LEARNED NEVER TO SAY NEVER

GAZA

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 09:47:55 pm »

A W/C I KNOW 26 YRS W/CLEANING NEVER HAD A FALL,NEARLY 2 YRS LATER AFTER FALLING OUT OF THE TOP OF HIS WHEELIE BIN HES JUST RETURNING BACK TO WORK,BUT WALKS WITH A VERY BAD LIMP [SO IN THIS TRADE IVE LEARNED NEVER TO SAY NEVER

GAZA

Sorry gaza - I now you're making a valid and serious point - but how on earth do you fall out of the top of a wheelie bin? ???

Malc
It's a game of three halves!

brett walker

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 09:51:15 pm »

GAZA

Sorry gaza - I now you're making a valid and serious point - but how on earth do you fall out of the top of a wheelie bin? ???

Malc

Gaza

are you talking a load of rubbish ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D