datec66

Re: Small Business Banking
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 07:33:32 pm »
Thanks for that mate. This could be a problem.  I was thinking of posting a refund through their door if I didn't clean for whatever reason last time round.

Well, a good old bill payment will have to be it then (As I still work for a bank, this is a standing order payment, but only gets paid when you say so).  I think alot of customers might use this only if they miss me collecting (hopefully anyway ;)). 

I'd just love to sort this out.  With more and more people using the internet at home and internet banking, it's a piece of cake to pay anyone for them.  So, I'm hoping to cash in on this.  Also, nearly everyone uses ebay, so I thought of paypal, reference can be used then, but the fees put me off. It's not as easy as I thought collecting the dosh!!

datec66

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 08:38:38 pm »
I don't believe it. I've just checked my smile.co.uk account and the reference is showing. I did a bill payment from my halifax account, checked when money went in yesterday, it didn't show. Checked today, now that the systems have updated overnight and it's gone off 'forecast', the reference is showing. It's giving my name and my address, eg customers account name and the reference they used, shown to me online 1 day later.  This solves it for me then using a personal account. Doing my advertising tickets & leaflets now for my customers lol!!!!

gaza

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 09:49:40 pm »
ANYONE ON HERE USING PAY PAL FOR PAYMENT?

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ben Walker

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »
can you pay your cheques in at the post office with an alliance and leicester account

Dave

What about cash too??

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 11:07:04 pm »
I have an A&L business acount. Yes you can...you stick em' in an envelope with a cheque deposit slip, take them to any PO and they just stamp on yer stub...ooer misses. :o :) Cash is easy too, you hand it over and they swipe it straight in to your account via your card.

WavieDavie

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 03:11:30 pm »

I'm not saying it's the best but it's the one I happen to use.  At Abbey, I get free business banking "forever" so long as I do not deposit more than 100 cheques in a calendar month.  The cash limit is £3,000 I think.  You must use the cashpoint to make these deposits though.

You can get prepaid envelopes from Abbey to post off cheques, but you must write your a/c No and sort code on the back of them all - I got a rubber stamp for that.

And the free banking includes no charge for bounced cheques - i found that out a few weks ago - but bunged on an Admin Charge of my own to the customer for the hassle.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Ian_Giles

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 04:23:35 pm »
I detest business bank accounts for small sole traders >:(
A couple of the building society/banks seem to be doing good deals at the moment, but the big banks eventually rip you off after the grace period.
Charged per cheque you pay in. >:(
Charged per cheque or debit card payment you  make. >:(
Charged a monthly management fee. >:(
Charged for the cash you pay in. >:(
Charged for every standing order you have. >:(
charged for direct debits >:(

Sod that for a game of soldiers :-\

After many years I closed my business account down, I now use my 'free' personal account, with it's 'free' overdraft facility.
I have no problems separating business from personal where my tax return is concerned.

I have no time for Banks, they're just a necessary evil so far as I'm concerned.
They make obscene profits and screw us little people for every penny they can, and we get less for our money every year too.
Call centres in India. >:(
Unable to contact your branch directly. >:(
Closing of so many small branches >:(

Bring back Bonnie and Clyde 8)

Oh and of course there is also the annual review too, where they will try and tell you how they have to increase the management fee's they currently charge you to cover the running costs of your account.....
Then they try and sell you a pension, get you to re-mortgage with them, insure your house, your life, your car and some health cover thown in too.
Got an overdraft?
Credit card debts?
maybe a couple of other loans, store cards and so on?

Piece of cake :D
They'll try to get you to take out one all encompassing loan and you then have just the one payment to make.
Then they'll rip your arm off and beat you with the wet end until you agree to take out the loan insurance.
Of course, they don't tell you they are on a lucrative percentage for getting you to take out the bloody insurance will they >:(

I hate banks! >:( >:(

But I'm so mild mannered about it you'd never know ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Morph

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »
So, you won't be using Alliance & Leicester free business banking then Ian? ;D

Actually, I use free business banking.  My gripe is that I can't park anywhere near the place.  It's right in the middle of the shopping precinct.  So I do all my cheques by freepost, which don't clear for 5 working days usually, obviously can't bank cash by post, and if I want to draw any cash out unless I use their machine there's a fee.  So I wish I hadn't bothered.  But same as Ian, I got so sick of the charges being tickled up all the time.

Wasn't it good when you made an appointment to see your bank manager and he not only existed, but he knew what he was talking about and he was older than your youngest child!

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 12:04:23 pm »
I detest business bank accounts for small sole traders >:(
A couple of the building society/banks seem to be doing good deals at the moment, but the big banks eventually rip you off after the grace period.
Charged per cheque you pay in. >:(
Charged per cheque or debit card payment you  make. >:(
Charged a monthly management fee. >:(
Charged for the cash you pay in. >:(
Charged for every standing order you have. >:(
charged for direct debits >:(

Ian

I dont think that A&L charge for any of these and I dont think there is a 'grace period' as such, thats why I went with them. You can use any post office now, it was just 2 selected, so thats handy. I had a cheque returned when I was using my personal account and the bast*$&'s charged me for the privilege, A&L dont. When I was looking there were many that were charging as you have stated though.

Have a look at the link

http://www.alliance-leicestercommercialbank.co.uk/content/SB010002.asp

Mick

Ian_Giles

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 01:33:24 pm »
As I said, some of the building society type banks are doing good deals, it's the big 4 that really hiss me off.
Currently I get a really good deal on the particular account that I have, so I'm lucky in that I don't need to shop around to see whats out there.
In fact the deal I have is better by far than any of the offers that my own bank (Lloydstsb) can offer to current customers.
The deal I had/have no longer exists, and they can't take it off me either ;D

I fell out with a credit card company a few years back, so I left it 5p in credit and they sent me statements for a few years after 8)
A petty way of getting a little of my own back on them, but cos I was 5p in credit I weas costing them money and not me...I liked that angle ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

alpha

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 05:14:22 pm »
Well that seems to have got some thinking going on. The reason I mentioned is that one of the major high street banks is wanting to take more of an interest in personal bank accounts that are being used as a business or sole trader account. On the small print of your personal account it does tell you that it should not be used for anything but your personal use. I.E not for clearing funds from work. A plumber in our locality recently found this out to his cost. Please just be aware.