wightsurf

What 12v Battery for WFP
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:47:52 pm »
After reading how to work out amps hour on liesure bat's This is worked out on the basis of 20 hour dicharge ie ,,,,,100 Ah / 20hours = 5amps hour.
Where i get a bit lost   :o is i have a 6 amp pump and i won't it runing for 7 hours so what battery can i use ,or even better can i use two smaller ones,ie use one when it runs low change to another,this is too make the truck lighter,those big bat's weigh alot
But just to make it even more difficult the people who make the battery say don't run it no lower than 60% or it will shorten the life of the batter.

so help is needed here please  Martin

marc al

Re: What 12v Battery for WFP
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:02:45 pm »
  Martin

just use the cheapest car battery I could find -20 quid - it lasts for 2 days solid work on one charge, even if only last half the life of an eighty quid leisure battery I reckon i'm still on a winner.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:16:03 pm »
April last year I Got my 85 a/h leisure battery from Bristol Batteries Ltd for £29.99.

I put it on trickle charge most evenings and weekends but have run it two days without re-charge.

6 amps into 85 amps = 14hrs approx. Leisure batt is designed for long term low level discharge whereas car batt is designed to run high amperage starter motor for a short time and to be fed from the car's charging system for much of its working life too.
It's a game of three halves!

neil100

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:21:00 pm »
I now have 2 x 85amp lesiure batterys side by side in the van. I use one in the morining, then at lunch I switch to the other one. I am running two water pumps constantly during the day.

I recharge both at night. At weekend I put them on trickle charge which seams to give them an extra boost.

You can buy a 85amp lesiure battery from a good caravan supplier for £35.00. Or a 110amp one for £55.00.

Keep in mind when you buy the battery to fully charge it before you first use it as they are only 80% charged at the most. They have an inbuilt memmory so if you use it before you charge it they will never operate to its full capacity.

I know because the chaps who installed my van set up never charged the original battery before use, And it never lasts as long as the one I bought, even though they are exactly the same battery.

Nel.

matt

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 10:28:19 pm »
Ive used 17 Ah (those car jump start units, about 40 quid from argos)

BUT now i use a 7 Ah Battery which i change at lunch time, though i do use a smaller pump with that, its the smaller flojet, uses less power

light is good ;) you are right

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 11:03:15 pm »
I use 85 amp battery , 6 amp hour pump , it will run for 2 days work solid  , tops and bottems , about 15 hours in all , after the second day get home and put it on charge till the morning and it goes for another 2 days , job done .

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

H h20

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 11:07:40 pm »
After reading how to work out amps hour on liesure bat's This is worked out on the basis of 20 hour dicharge ie ,,,,,100 Ah / 20hours = 5amps hour.
Where i get a bit lost   :o is i have a 6 amp pump and i won't it runing for 7 hours so what battery can i use ,or even better can i use two smaller ones,ie use one when it runs low change to another,this is too make the truck lighter,those big bat's weigh alot
But just to make it even more difficult the people who make the battery say don't run it no lower than 60% or it will shorten the life of the batter.

so help is needed here please  Martin
Iv`e posted my battery and pics on your HELP HELP topic,Gaz

JM123

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »
I have a 230Ah leisure battery runiing 2 pumps, can run it 3 days before recharging, cost about £100 other than that I have another 110Ah battery that last the same on 1 pump.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

wightsurf

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 03:05:43 pm »
Hi Matt

What size pump you running on that 7Ah bat and what battery is it?
I have a 6 amp pump any ideas what i could get away with?

Martin

dai

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 07:34:18 pm »
I use an 85 amp hr battery on the trolley. It's not bad if you have it down between the wheels.
I use a Varistream 2. If I only run it at 1 third of it's maximum speed, does that cut down on the amps being drawn from the battery?
If this is the case, and should be. Then a flow controller should greatly reduce the draw on your battery. I have used mine for 3 days without charging and have never experienced any slowdown in power. DAI

JM123

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 12:00:24 pm »
Hi dai slowing the pump down will require less current from the battery although the varistream itself uses a small amount of power to operate, I always keep a small 17Ah battery fully charged in the boot just in case I manage to forget to charge the 'big un' for a few days. 

Ballymena N.I

gaza

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 07:05:31 pm »
why dont you all have a split relay fitted ,it charges the battery while your engines running from your alternater.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

JM123

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 10:11:29 am »
Hi gaza - split relays are fine but can sometimes overcharge the battery which some leisure batteries don't like - if it works for then fine but I've had a few probs in the past although I know a few who use them.

Ballymena N.I