colin purewater

Who's had a broken shureflow from ice??
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:44 am »
Morning all,

I'm interested to no if any one had
  a broken pump from cold temps?
I no they will freeze then stop then
work again when they warm up.
And I no some don't even heat there vans ?

So has any one had this happen??

If so what temp was it at??
 and I don't think I'm gonna
 bother heating my van till -5 as the merlin and
Di ain't in there any more and just blast it with heat
Before I go out in the morning.

It got to -3 here last night and its all working fine
Still -1 now

Cheers

Colin
keep it simple

Window Washers

Re: Who's had a broken shureflow from ice??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:57:45 am »
I have a few go, I never recorded the temp of how cold it was at a guess about -3, i think the problem is if it is cold - figures early in the evening your asking for trouble just leaving it, In short burst of -5 maybe not long enough to cause a problem, , worst time obviously is the weekend where its sat  (or at least mine are).

What I do now as its getting colder is unscrew the inline filter the clear part as that normally breaks first if im not heating it.

obviously if its being heated its not need, but there is always going to be one time that you dont do it and the temp drops and you have an ice box. I had this go and it stoped play so now do that just incase.

If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

wightsurf

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:17:20 pm »
We don't seem to get -5 often.lucky where I live I supos   ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »
We don't seem to get -5 often.lucky where I live I supos   ;D
I would not class that as lucky, I used to live there  :P
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »
just make sure it doesnt freeze in the first place!i put an oil filled radiator on overnight in van if temperature below freezing and sometimes i bring pumpbox in overnight.reels and DI get brought inside as well.

no windscreens to scrape in the morning.van nice and toasty and off to work i go.

its handy to take a spare flask of hot water with you as well just in case jets freeze on brush which has happened a few times over the years.usually if the temperature is -3 or -4. ;) ;D ;D ;D

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

stuart mc

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:27:35 pm »
mine has never broke, been using it for years and a couple of years ago or maybe three it hit minus 20 obviously I didn't try using it as I had an ice cube for a tank but once thawed out it worked fine

Window Washers

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »
mine has never broke, been using it for years and a couple of years ago or maybe three it hit minus 20 obviously I didn't try using it as I had an ice cube for a tank but once thawed out it worked fine
your lucky

p1w1

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:57:35 pm »

ive never had a problem either just thaw it out and jobs a good un

Rogue Trader

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »
i have had pumps split when the temp gets down really low -2 or 3 is not a problem but 4,5 or below you are in danger of pumps splitting , you just need to make sure that there is no water in the pump as they will only split if the water in there freezes and expands, drain it out of the pump the night before a potential BIG frost and you wont have a problem.

Mike #1

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 06:30:00 am »
Morning all,

I'm interested to no if any one had
  a broken pump from cold temps?
I no they will freeze then stop then
work again when they warm up.
And I no some don't even heat there vans ?

So has any one had this happen??

If so what temp was it at??
 and I don't think I'm gonna
 bother heating my van till -5 as the merlin and
Di ain't in there any more and just blast it with heat
Before I go out in the morning.

It got to -3 here last night and its all working fine
Still -1 now

Cheers

Colin

Colin just because the temp got to -3 and everything was fine this time it does not mean it will be fine the next time .

You have got to factor in how long the low temps last if it was -3 to -4 for 8 hrs that may cause problems but if the temp only dipped for an 1-2 hrs you may be fine .

Not checked weather yet but it was supposed -3 were i live but my pump is inside a streambox which is under a tonneau cover on back of my L200 Trojan which is under a winter duvet and all packed in firmly and it is in the garage , Their will be a big difference in the back of van which will get far colder . Mike