Dave Willis

Who's got a Pure Freedom 450gpd ro?
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:55 am »
If so would you care to put a pic up of the way they have connected the membranes up please? Mine has never been brilliant and want to know why.

Thanks

Spruce

Re: Who's got a Pure Freedom 450gpd ro?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:46:28 am »
Hi Mark

Our 450GPD was orginally supplied through Peter Fogwill.
The membranes were all connected in parallel - the feed from the carbon filter was split 3 ways, each supply the inlet of each membrane housings. The wastes were all joined together then through a restrictor/flush valve.
The pure oulets from each housing were again joined together to the IBC tank.

I have also seen 2 other variants over the years.

The first has been linked in series. The first membrane was connected from the carbon filter, the waste from that became the inlet for the second membrane housing and the second membrane's waste became the inlet for the third. The third's waste went to a restrictor. All pures were joined together. (I personally couldn't see the point of this setup other than that is reduced the no of 't' pieces in the assembly.)

http://www.ro-man.com/instructions/RO-MAN%20Reverse%20Osmosis%20manual%20for%20200%20and%20300%20GPD%20systems.pdf

The second variation I have seen is the pipe from the carbon filter is split into 2 and they each feed the first 2 membranes. The waste pipes from these 2 membranes are joined together and become the inlet of the third membrane. The third membrane's waste then goes to the restrictor. All the pures are joined up.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:53:31 pm »
Thanks Spruce just got in for a bite to eat I'll read properly tonight.  ;)

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »
I saw your pictures on the other side.

It would appear that they have used the last variation on my list which is what Doug has also posted.

".......... the pipe from the carbon filter is split into 2 and they each feed the first 2 membranes. The waste pipes from these 2 membranes are joined together and become the inlet of the third membrane. The third membrane's waste then goes to the restrictor. All the pures are joined up."

I would do as suggested and remove the pipes and couple each membrane up one at a time and let them run individually, checking the tds of the pure after they have settled down.

This way you will be able to identify if there is just a problem with one membrane or if they are all going. I've never understood this way of coupling them up either as the last membrane has to filter the waste from the other 2 which will be higher than your tap water.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:54:55 pm »
I've now set it up as the r.o. man systems used to be. Tds has dropped a bit but it might be because of a membrane shuffle.