cottonbud10

despatch vans good or bad idea
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:02:28 am »
does anyone out there have a van of this size,i am looking to get something like this  for a few reasons,,sideloading doors,not to big not to small, 3seat,the main thing is because it has a shelf across the drivers head area,i could put my poles all the way in the van and they will sit above my head and i,ll still be able to have the other 2 seats free,i would also like to know the biggest tank i could get in it,i would like to go for 400ltr,,any help would be great,thankyou,,,cottonbud

easy

Re: despatch vans good or bad idea
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:26:29 am »
Kev mate,

You welcome to have a look at mine again,just give me a shout...I pop round to you,as I'm from Southend...
Cheers,
             Tony.

sjm

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:57 pm »
I am looking at exactly the same van  ;) I think if you get the newer model with the hdi engine , you can get a 500 tank in there ( providing you are not generously proportioned )  ;D

cottonbud10

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:56:33 pm »
F.A.B...sjm

cottonbud10

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »
easy,,,where are you,,,i,m in sackville rd.. tel..464155

Dean Aspects

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:06:58 pm »
I have a Scudo and its a great sized van handy with the two side loading doors and with the shelf above the windscreen its useful for the poles to sit on
I have a 400ltr tank in mine and carry ladders so i am sure a 500ltr tank would be fine

Dean

cottonbud10

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:20:59 pm »
that all sounds  spot on dean,,,do you have the 3 seats also..?

Dean Aspects

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:24:11 pm »
Yes and for some strange reason my 12 year old daughter thinks the van is 'cool'
 ??? :-\

Dean

Dean Aspects

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »
One other thing make sure you get a turbo diesel as i didnt and it is sluggish to say the least not that i want to fly around the countryside but managing to get up hills at a decent pace would be less embarassing

Dean

cottonbud10

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 06:35:10 pm »
thanks dean,,all infomation gone in to the think tank...kev

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 06:44:49 pm »
Citroen Dispatch, Peugoet Expert and Fiat Scudo are thesame bsic van - just different logos.

Widens your search a bit.

and yes, get the HDi - better peformance and more miles to gall then the non turbo.

cottonbud10

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:00:30 pm »
widen my search joe,,,how do you mean,i,ve been looking in e and  m and auto trader,where would you look,are there any other outlets that you know of...cottonbud

sjm

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »
Citroen Dispatch, Peugoet Expert and Fiat Scudo are thesame bsic van - just different logos.

Widens your search a bit.

and yes, get the HDi - better peformance and more miles to gall then the non turbo.
Been told to stay away from the Fiat ! Dont know why , but was a mechanic who advised  8)

mark dew

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 12:57:15 am »
i have a 1.9 dispatch with a 400 litre tank. I'm happy with the van as it looks the part and the size is good for my window cleaning at the moment.
It drives like a family car (without the speed) and it is easy to park as well.
It has 3 seats which is cool.
The only real trouble with this van is that the locks spin round and i don't think it would be a good van to have for employees. As it gives the impression of being a bit fragile and deoesn't really have the capacity to carry enough water for more than 1 cleaner on their own.
A great van for a sole trader though.
I also carry a freedom trolley, 25 litre barrel of water and ladders sometimes.
The xtel poles fit nicely hanging on the side as well.

cottonbud10

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
bang-on mark,,that,ll do for me.

Joe H

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 09:59:22 pm »
widen my search joe,,,how do you mean,i,ve been looking in e and  m and auto trader,where would you look,are there any other outlets that you know of...cottonbud

Have you tried Ebay.  I bought a great Dispatch from a dealer in Salisbury. Went from Cheshire down there by train, walked 10 minutes down the road, went for test drive, did the paperwork and drove home. That was a good bargain. Bough more then a few cars off Ebay. Just look for lots of good feedback to reasure yourself the seller is a good un and then still be cautious.

and by "widen the search", if youwere looking for a Dispatch but did not know the Expert and Scudo were the same then by looking for them as well it would widen the search

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:53 pm »
it minght be a bit out of your way mate but try vansinyorkshire.co.uk they have some great vans there .
where theres muck theres money

cottonbud10

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:36:16 am »
thanks joe,yes i,ve done ebay,and i did know about the other vans that are simular,thats why i would,nt  rule them out as a possible purchace thanks anyway

ok cleaning

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 06:24:46 pm »
i have got a dispatch  07  swb 2 lt 120bhp perfect for the job capacity is 1200lt but i got 650lt in it

cottonbud10

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 02:15:13 pm »
thanks ok cleaning,i,m a bit on the tight side and only looking to spend about 3k,there hard to find at that price,well good ones under 10 years old with less than 60k on the clock,,does that mean there good if you can,t find any,because everyone keeps them..

simbag

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 11:05:54 pm »
As it gives the impression of being a bit fragile and deoesn't really have the capacity to carry enough water for more than 1 cleaner on their own.
A great van for a sole trader though.

I beg to differ on that one, have same van myself with a 500 ltr tank, found that I only ever emptied the tank once on my own (long day and a lot of first cleans), otherwise I rarely used more than 2/3 of a full tank. I now work with my brother and we can do 7-8 hr day a still have about an inch of water in the bottom!

I guess it must be down to water usage, but its not like my flow rate is like a gnat trying to p either!

Just though I'd throw that into the pot!  :)

mark dew

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 12:08:18 am »
Wow, that's 1/2 a litre a minute. I use much more than that.
Fair play to you.

simbag

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 07:16:44 pm »
When I say 7-8 hr day, that is the length of the day we work, but when take into account driving and lunch you're probably talking somewhere between 5 1/2- 7 working hrs therefore I suppose thats between 11-14 man hours.

:o I've just worked that still works out just over half a litre per min per man!! Blimey!!! Surely not!

alanwilson

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 12:02:46 am »
we have an expert HDI with a 650ltr tank, carries it with ease.

great van, super engine, economical too.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 06:13:56 pm »
Mine has now done 106 000 with only minor trouble with the engine. I would get another one but am slowing down to retirement so its not worth it.

They do have an inherent problem with locks. If the end of the key wears the key will not turn the lock reliably. Get a new one cut and use that so the original does not wear out.
The other problem is that the black plastic surround on the side door keyholes can be pulled off with your fingers, this exposes the lock barrel. This has a very convenient rim round the top that enables the barrel to be  levered out with a screwdriver. I can open any of these vans in 20 secs with a 1/4" screwdriver. The answer, and I have done this after being broken open, is to remove the trim, run some instant glue round the top of the barrel and put the trim back on. They haven't been in since.

Otherwise great van for size comfort and reliability, especially the new ones.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

cottonbud10

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:55 pm »
thankyou all for your input...kev