John Walker

Thinking seriously about it
« on: September 02, 2004, 09:38:23 pm »
I'm just short of 60 and in fair health.  I am currently a manager for a large oil company and the stress levels are getting frightening and too high for £23k p.a.  My background is in sales and customer service and I have no problem with the public - especially if they are going to pay me some money  ;D

Do you professionls feel the my age might be against me if I take the plunge.  Would probably try part time to start with - plan to practice further on some of the family windows. Have just bought some items from a supplier and couldn't believe how quick I managed my own house - it's always been a nightmare before - now i can't wait for them to get dirty again.  I like the idea of cleaning 2nd floor windows with an extension pole.

One last and probably very stupid question - what exactly is the scrim!
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

WavieDavie

Re: Thinking seriously about it
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 02:47:18 am »
Hi BAXWALKER,

If you've been studying a few threads you'll recognise my handshake by now - read the welcome message on either of the window cleaning boards, fill in your profile and signature, and welcome!

the stress levels are getting frightening and too high for £23k p.a.
With four weeks off per year, that works out to £96 per day, and if you work eight hours, that's £12 an hour - easily achievable I think. In fact, if you're happy to stay at the same income level, I'm sure you can drop a few hours of toil per week. I work six hours a day.

My background is in sales and customer service and I have no problem with the public - especially if they are going to pay me some money  
Terrific - you already know that you're selling yourself first and your service second.

Do you professionls feel the my age might be against me if I take the plunge.
Not at all - just go for it - age doesn't matter, the quality of service you provide does.

I like the idea of cleaning 2nd floor windows with an extension pole.
I'm not bursting any balloons here, but you need to be good at ground level first. If you're talking about water fed poles, you also need experience with "the tools" too, as you can't be 100% wfp unless you think your customers will enjoy having a swimming pool in their living room when they get the insides done!

probably very stupid question - what exactly is the scrim!
a) No question is stupid if you don't know the answer!
b) Ah, the noble scrim! An ancient beast, living on it's past glories, and the unwillingness of some old stick-in-the-muds to try modern methods. I've got fifty yards left of the stuff from a bale of one hundred I bought years ago

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22window+cleaning+scrim%22+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Scrim is made from the same basic material as best Irish Linen tablecloths - flax. It's been used for years in window cleaning to wipe up sills and buff up glass (separate cloths of course) It's a pig to break in - you're supposed to boil it at least once to break down the fibres and then use it as a wipe-up cloth till it's ready to graduate to polishing glass. After it's been used for that for a while it gets to the stage where all it's good for is back to wiping sills. I can sense you thinking - where's this leading, the guy's a window cleaner and he's slagging off the stuff he's supposed to earn his living with! True, but now I use MicroFibre cloths instead, much easier to work with and no breaking in. Start off using MicroFibre - trust me.

End of sermon
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Duke

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 07:19:12 pm »
lol, know where you're coming from....I also use both scrim and microfibre, they both have unique characteristics......it's knowing what to use and where to use it.....I think that's called experience !

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 07:20:33 pm »
John,

I'm 34 years old and have been a window cleaner for nearly two years.  I left a very well paid army career - as a staff sergeant - and seven years short for my imediate pension at age 40!  I now run lots of half marathons and for Chepstow Harriers.  I consider myself fairly fit.  Window cleaning knackers me!  It's a special kind of fitness.

Test the water first mate.  It's bloody hard work cleaning windows - especially when you first start.

If it's stress that's getting to you - try a stress management course.  Your company should pay.  The army do (believe it or not).  We create the stress - not our occupations.

Try getting a 'Saturday round' and see how you feel after a full day of shining glass. 

That's my tuppence worth!

Tosh.

simonb

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 07:51:03 pm »
Its not your age its your attitude.

wrighty

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 06:19:40 pm »
John,

You really are not too old mate.

I am younger than yourself but it is one of those jobs that when it comes to Sunday you are not bothered about going to work - come on chaps how many of us have had a crappy weekend because all we can think about is that horrible job we do on a Monday.  Window cleaning is really enjoyable - I guess it has its bad points too but the money is good and I am chilling a bit so it is really upto you.  Give it a try even go on the sick and do a few days cleaning when you get enough work.

Best Of Luck and keep us all posted on what you decide to do.

Craig

AuRavelling79

Re: Thinking seriously about it New
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 11:35:09 pm »
If you're with a large oil company I guess you've got a pension and if you're pushing 60 then you'll probably be able to draw it when you like (at reduced rate if pre-65 I guess?)

This would be a good "cushion" so if you are in reasonable health (ie Lungs heart legs!) why not try it part time? - anyway I'm sure you know your circumstances better than me!

I'm mid-forties, on ladders looking to supplement with a trolley wfp system sooner rather than later  but I wouldn't want to start climbing ladders at 60 unless I was fit in all respects.
It's a game of three halves!