Just been trawling through the BBC website and saw this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4884792.stm

Just a thought

Cheers
Dave.

Rob_Mac

Re: 120,000 litres on a semi's roof
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 09:19:17 am »
I know this has been talked about before but here goes - this is thinking off the top of my head.

If rainwater can be harvested  from the guttering - down pipe -through a basic pond filter and then into a holding tank or say ten IBC tanks.

If a pump was then fitted to give you pressure to force the water through the RO system you should have free water or as close as you can get to free water.

Is there anything wrong with this set up that would not allow it to be succesful.

I am aware that the rainwater will pick up impurity as it hits the roof but my TDS reading in is at 270 and taking a reading off roof rainwater it is only about 60.

Any thoughts

Rob ;D

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 08:30:16 am »
The trouble is it doesn't rain to order. I need min 250lt of water every day.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 09:33:55 am »
I know this has been talked about before but here goes - this is thinking off the top of my head.

If rainwater can be harvested  from the guttering - down pipe -through a basic pond filter and then into a holding tank or say ten IBC tanks.

If a pump was then fitted to give you pressure to force the water through the RO system you should have free water or as close as you can get to free water.

Is there anything wrong with this set up that would not allow it to be succesful.

I am aware that the rainwater will pick up impurity as it hits the roof but my TDS reading in is at 270 and taking a reading off roof rainwater it is only about 60.

Any thoughts

Rob ;D

I have 3 IBC tanks in our unit and to have 10 would take up so much room. In theory it will work but to get 10,000 litres of water from Rain would take months and if you use only 250 litres a day you would use your 10 tanks up and be out of water in just over a month, from what you save in waste water usage against the space and time I personally don't think its a buy in?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:33:39 am »
What is an IBC please?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:59:19 pm »
Perry

IBC is a tank with a metal cage round it, generally on a pallet.
Up to 1000 litres in size.

Vince - thats why there was 10 IBC tanks. I use 1600 litres per day

Trevor - the subject was that each property gets 120,000 litres per year.

I know that it all doesnt fall at once but if the figure is correct and I have seen this figure before, on more than one occassion then this seems to be a viable option of using less water from the tap.

120,000 litres of water would be half of my annual usage.

I think the reason why this might not seem viable to some people is that they are in the drier south and also a lot of rainfall occurs during the night. We have had virtually constant rain, in our area for about five days.

This would be a useful back up to anyones system (space permitting)
I am going to have a go at doing this with five IBC tanks to start (as I also have 3 in my unit fed from the tap but am fortunate that I have the space.

Just got to get the IBC tanks now and I will keep everyone informed

Rob ;D