TVCS

2 down a few to go.
« on: March 04, 2006, 10:02:24 pm »
Hello everyone.
Last year my brother and I started a pressure washing business.  As part of the service we offer a window cleaning service. ( not with the pressure washers I must add) I have  Practiced on our house and our parents property and friends flats etc but now we have some actual, real customers.  Today we did 2 houses.  Big deal I hear you all sigh.  The thing is I really enjoyed it and despite the cold wind and the frost I cant wait for the next.  By doing these 2 today we have 3 more to do on wednesday, and about 3 more to do next weekend.  And they all want us monthly.
Now the thing is after doing the two properties today I have a couple of queries that hopefully someone might help me with.

We are using traditional methods to clean, no wfp for us at the mo.  What is the best way to clean windows that are for example, above conservatories, where you have no place to put a ladder.  It took me about 40 mins to clean ONE window with my telescopic pole today, and every time I thought that I had finished I would spot another streak.  I found that I could not get the pressure behind the sqeegie.  Is there an easier way or is it a case of practise makes perfect?

The other point was that the one building had an extension and 2 big windows were above the extension.  After all the fannying around I went through with the telescopic pole I thought the best way would be to get up onto the tiles and clean from there.  I rolled out a long roll of foam onto the tiles and put a ladder on top of this.  I then crawled along my ladder.  There was no damage to any of the tiles afterwards but it dawned on me that, it was a pretty stupid thing to do.  Risking falling and breaking bits of me or knackering all their tiles all for the sake of 10 quid.  I have never seen other w/c ers  do this.
What is the best way to get round this eventuality.  Tell the customer that to clean the windows from outside is too dangerous, or offer to clean them from the inside?
As Ned Flanders would say " its a dilly of a pickle" and I'd have to agree.  I have been scratching my head all afternoon.

This forum has been a great help to me over the last few months as I'm sure it has helped others in my position.  So any advice large or small would be received with great appreciation.
Keep busy everyone and many thanks.
Ant
Teme Valley Cleaning Services.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Paul Coleman

Re: 2 down a few to go.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 02:24:23 pm »
<SNIP>

Now the thing is after doing the two properties today I have a couple of queries that hopefully someone might help me with.

We are using traditional methods to clean, no wfp for us at the mo.  What is the best way to clean windows that are for example, above conservatories, where you have no place to put a ladder.  It took me about 40 mins to clean ONE window with my telescopic pole today, and every time I thought that I had finished I would spot another streak.  I found that I could not get the pressure behind the sqeegie.  Is there an easier way or is it a case of practise makes perfect?

Obviously practise does help but it depends on how you are doing it.
Are you using a squeegee and applicator that swivel?  This can help you work so that the applicator and squeegee are horizontal at the top of the window then you can pull the liquid straight down the glass.
Another way I have done these when working trad is to lean the ladder against the conservatory guttering (don't scuff the guttering and beware of sideways slipping).  Then the pole will reach all the window - even the bottom of it.  For this to be effective, you need a special"zero degree" angled squeegee (with swivel head) so that you don't leave liquid on the bottom few inches of the glass.  The swivel head tools used to go under the trade name of swivloc and were made by Unger I think.  A janitorial supplier should know about them but may have to order them in as they are not requested very much.  By "zero degree", I mean the following.  If you look at the cross-section of a normal squeegee, you will notice that the channel is angled.  On a zero degree one, it isn't.  Great tools IMO.  A bit awkward in Summer sometimes as the heat can dry the liquid while you change tools on the end of the pole.

The other point was that the one building had an extension and 2 big windows were above the extension.  After all the fannying around I went through with the telescopic pole I thought the best way would be to get up onto the tiles and clean from there.  I rolled out a long roll of foam onto the tiles and put a ladder on top of this.  I then crawled along my ladder.  There was no damage to any of the tiles afterwards but it dawned on me that, it was a pretty stupid thing to do.  Risking falling and breaking bits of me or knackering all their tiles all for the sake of 10 quid.  I have never seen other w/c ers  do this.
What is the best way to get round this eventuality.  Tell the customer that to clean the windows from outside is too dangerous, or offer to clean them from the inside?

I wouldn't say that what you did on that roof was stupid, but it definitely smacks of inexperience.  I wouldn't do it that way myself.  I have walked up tiles before (only certain types though). It's best to avoid thisa if possible - especially if the tiles are the small ones or they are wet and/or mossy or the gradient is a bit much.  I suggest either do it with the pole, do them from inside  or, if that isn't possible, leave them and charge a bit less.  The piece of glass that's worth dying for doesn't exist.

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »
We are using traditional methods to clean, no wfp for us at the mo.  What is the best way to clean windows that are for example, above conservatories

With traditional window cleaning i would leave these.
Most traditional window cleaners do.

The other point was that the one building had an extension and 2 big windows were above the extension.  After all the fannying around I went through with the telescopic pole I thought the best way would be to get up onto the tiles and clean from there.  I rolled out a long roll of foam onto the tiles and put a ladder on top of this.  I then crawled along my ladder.

Never put the ladder at an angle thats its not mean't to be at and never put it on anything like your foam to stop it slipping you are asking for trouble.

Some roofs you can walk up if its not steep.
But i dought the HSE would agree with this.
If its steep either us an extension pole or don't clean the window.

If you don't think its very safe to clean i doubt it is so don't take any chances and leave them.
If the customer does not like it find a better customer.

Paul

TVCS

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 06:11:31 pm »
Thanks for the imput Paul and  The Shiner.
I realise that with time and practice the time scale will come down and when it comes to the awkward or more dangerous windows I will charge a tad less and leave them until I can class myself as a better poler.  The last thing I want to do is try and clean these windows and ending up making them look a right mess and putting the customers off totally.
As far as walking up the tiles goes I will give it a go in some cases.  A mate of mine installs alot of stoves and does alot of chimney work and he is willing to give me a run down of good and bad tiles.   His advice when I called him on saturday was to lay off the piesa bit.  Cheeky so and so, he must be at least 4 stone heavier than myself!!!

I am using a swivel aplicator and squeegie and I think that I will try and find a "zero degree-er" and give it a try.
Thanks again for the tips I really do appreciate the advice.
All the best
Ant
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)