ciprian

1st steps in wc
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:27:34 pm »
hi fellas,

just posting to introduce myself. i'm 32 years of age and fed up with my 30k a year office job which not only fails to bring satisfaction but is also unflexible.
a friend of mine mentioned wc and i though it's not such a bad idea. i've been looking out for rounds for sale in south london but had no luck until now.
i'm not worried about the work at all but would like to make my own schedule, be my own boss.

anyway.....1 question for start : what would you recommend for starters? all the basic tools (Ladders,Bucket,Applicator & T-Bar,Squeegees,Scrims, Pouches,Scraper,Belt) or go with the water fed pole system? To be honest i am a bit scared of heights so wud probably go only for the 1storey buildings anyway (at least for start).

i'm definitely gonna be back with more 'stupid' questions.

thanks everyone
Ciprian

brett walker

Re: 1st steps in wc
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:07:00 pm »
Hi Ciprian

welcome to the forum, when you become a window cleaner you will need to learn tradtional with ladders also wfp its different tools for different jobs.  If you dont like heights i dont see any reason why you cant just do wfp work and still make a living, as everything seems to be moving toward wfp now anyway.
I have been traditional for 14 yrs and only the last few months been wfp due to the information from this site

Good luck

Brett

craig jwc

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 09:26:35 pm »
Hi Ciprian
I started off using traditional methods but purchased wfp just for the safety side of it as i live on my own with two young kids. I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to me if i fell off a ladder and leaving my kids on ther own.
I only use tradional methods on a few small jobs now and work everything else wfp.
I think it is good to start off traditional to see if you like the job before spending out on wfp. Plus you'll find you will always use traditional methods on some jobs as not all jobs suit wfp.
Like Brett said wfp is another tool for us use.

Good luck with what you decide.

It's a Great job i love it.

Craig

jon adams

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 09:27:58 pm »
ill swap my well establihed windoh round for 30k a year + holidays and sick pay sat in a warm office. take you a while to build up to 30k a year.

mick hay

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:45:04 pm »
Last june, i sold my merc, gave up my home based advertising business, 40k a year,and the known security that went with it. i got myself a van wfp and everything down to corporate clothing and leaflets, and started window cleaning. its the best move i ever made. i never knew how satisfying this kind off business can be, and also how hard this kinda work is, i still ache of a night time, but love seeing each week how much the worth of my round is increasing.    i went straight into wfp...i only own a platform step ladder which i use when cleaning conservatory roofs. i have learned trad method as i do a few inside jobs for a commercial job. i wouldnt buy a round, theres enough work out there if you look for it...leaflets or door knocking...i have to rely on leaflets as im a single dad and cant really get out at nights....at the moment theres not enough hours in the day ,    best job in the world!!!!

gaza

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 11:00:52 pm »
BRETT: INFORMATION ON THIS SITE TRAINING BY ME ;D SO THERE WHIPPER SNAPPER ;D

GAza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

brett walker

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 11:08:55 pm »
BRETT: INFORMATION ON THIS SITE TRAINING BY ME ;D SO THERE WHIPPER SNAPPER ;D

GAza
  ;) ;)

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:54:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum Ciprian.

I believe there's a guy on this forum who raised a few eye-brows by starting window cleaning purely using a WFP (a back pack system I think); no ladders (or not much).

I think he did struggle with inside cleans though; at first.

I've also heard he's doing extremely well and recently has purchased a van-mounted system.

What-ever you do, I'd advise never to climb a ladder above first floor level.  There's loads of work out there at ground and 1st floor.  Why go higher?

blackpool bear

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 06:40:54 pm »
get 2 or 3 customers clean their windows then say to yourself would i like to do 50xs that amount off work a week in all weathers / if the answers yes then welcome to the world of window cleaning and best of luck. I worked in a factory for 17 years though i did have previous wc experience. I dont regret leaving the factory one bit and i now employ people, it's a great job and very rewarding, but you have to work hard it and do a good job, you will also lose and gain customers no matter how good you are at doing it so it changes too, also you will have to be trustworthy, polite, reliable, (and occasionally change light bulbs for elderly ladys) :) other benefits i would say is the low cost for equipment, try to get a compact round as this will save in fuel etc over the years, anyway im sure you will get plenty more good tips on here all the best for 2006      the bear

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 07:46:57 am »
hi ciprian,
good luck in your new venture and remember no questions are stupid on this forum as we all had to start somewhere with lack of knowledge.
jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk