Mrs Nicholls

mileage record logs
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:13:02 pm »
hi
Just wondered if anyone can help me out with a mileage log.

we have our driver, but need to get a log to fill so we know what to pay every week.

do you think it's fair to pay drivetime and 25p per mile and 5p per passenger?

say, 30 mins drive, wait wait wait, and 30 mins drive back 1hr wage to pay plus mileage . Would you think this to be ok?

do i have to fill in any inland revenue tax or nics forms for this?

thanks

Mr BSF

Re: mileage record logs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:36:59 pm »
Hi Lisa,

I've emailed you an excel spreadsheet for claiming mileage, it works out everything and vat claimable too, (if vat registered)

regards

BSF ;D

need a cleaner

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 08:39:42 am »
Hi Bsf, would you mind mailing me that aswell please,thx

leuthedog

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 08:52:10 am »
I'd love to have a copy as well, please?  ;D

steve handy

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:24:43 pm »
BSF,

Would be very grateful if you would mind sending me a copy aswell.

Many thanks
Steve Handy

shelton

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:41:14 pm »
I'll have anything that's free . . . been meaning to do this myself for ages (have a diary full of mileage at the moment!)

Thanks in advance!

Mr BSF

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:17:44 pm »
Hi, Ive emailed it to: Steve, leuthedog and need a cleaner, shelton if you give me your email address I'll forward it.

regards

BSF ;D

leuthedog

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 05:24:37 pm »
Mr BSF

Thanks received - much appreciated.  ;D

shelton

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 07:09:57 pm »
Have put it in my profile.

Thought it was already there  ???

Cheers.

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 10:39:37 am »
thank you for the record,very kind of you.....

xxxx
Lisa

shelton

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 01:12:50 pm »
Received - ta v. much.

need a cleaner

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 01:16:20 pm »
recieved, thx BSF

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 02:55:42 pm »
Lisa besides the Freebees  everybody has collected I am puzzled.

Do you mean you have a driver who takes your cleaner or cleaners to their job and then waits for them.?

Art

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 05:03:48 pm »
Any chance i can have a copy as well please arthur@scsf.co.uk

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 06:13:48 pm »
hi
My driver, only drives me and my biz partner to out of town cleans. We arrage it so we have a full day out in say church stretton bout half an hour away, and he drops us in the morning and picks us up at the end of the day. Works out cheaper for cleaners working in their local area, just to hop on a bus or walk whre they are going.

does it make sense? or am i doing it all wrong (i'd do it but i'm still learning to drive)

Mr BSF

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 12:18:24 pm »
Any chance i can have a copy as well please arthur@scsf.co.uk

Hi Arthur, sent it last night.

regards

BSF

Art

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:01 pm »
Thanks very much, haven't viewed it yet my pc's playing up. It wont let me open it.

Think it's on the way out  :(

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 02:55:35 pm »
Sorry Lisa,

Could not work out why driver was not also a cleaner but now I understand.

Best to learn to drive ;D ;D ;D

However I did half wonder if it could work having drivers droping and picking up cleaners if round was big enough.

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 03:08:03 pm »
can you help me get something straight?

by having this driver, do i employ him as i would a cleaner? set him up on th books/payroll etc, daft question, i know but if i'm paying him drive time, not witing around time and petrol expense of so many p per mile, i could just pay him all the money for him to put back in as petrol couldn't i?

so on my books, he would just go under fares and travel.

does that sound right?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 07:07:33 pm »
My personal opinion is you are employing this person.

Gets complicated if they are unemployed or work for someone else.

Although you could pay petrol I do not think this is lega  l.

Would 40p  a mile cover what  you pay now in time and milage

You could pay more per mile but then the person would have declare it on their tax return and pay tax if over their tax free allowance.

Would taxis be more cost effective and then you could claim that as an expense.

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 02:20:18 pm »
Hi
Thanks for your reply

I have just worked it out and yes the 40p per mile price is covering the time and petrol.

I'm sure hes on benefits, but it is basically reimbursing his petrol isn't it?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 04:37:55 pm »
As far as I know that is legal and should not have to declare it. I think a lot of people do hospitals cars on benifit.

House Angels

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 05:22:10 pm »
Mr BSF

Can you email me a copy too please?

Terry@houseangels.me.uk

Many thanks

Terry ;)
Terry

Professional service at all times

Malcal

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 01:21:16 am »
Mr BSF

Can you email me a copy too please?
thewindowcleaner@uku.co.uk
Regards Mal

Malcal

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 12:47:06 am »
recieved, thanks BSF
Mal

Fox

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 07:18:11 am »
Sorry to put a spanner in the works Lisa, but if you are paying for his time you are paying for him to work not just for a voluntary service where he is claiming back personal expenses. 

If he is claiming benefits he needs to declare this.  Has he got business class insurance on his car?  It's just not as easy as you think it is.

If I were you I would just fill his car up and pay for the fuel at the station, put it through the books that way.  However you decide to 'reward' him for his time after that is up to you.  Get driving girl asap - it will solve alot of problems.

Fox

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 08:56:43 pm »
Hi Fox
Thanks for your relpy, it really is a minefield out there isn't it.

I'm learning, got a lesson in the morning, hopefully i'll be driving in 6 months time or so, on my own.

an even bigger spanner is, my driver failed to mention that he was scheduled for a knee op and will be out of action for some time. He told me a few days after he drove us around. I just repaid him his petrol, thats all he wanted anyway.
Looks like taxi's for now,unless i get very lucky and find a cleaner who drives too.

Cinders

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 10:35:02 am »
Hi,

How do other people manage this?  With domestic clients do your cleaners drive there in their own car, do they use public transport or do you drive them?  Its one of the things im struggling with...have plenty of people wanting to work for me but cant drive and as i provide all cleaning materials the busier im getting the more of a struggle im finding it!

Maybe I should of had that as a poll?

So how do you guys do it?

Thanks A  :)
If you pay peanuts you get a monkey!

Abi

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 12:09:11 pm »
Hi Cinders

Don't know what the transport situation is like where you are but my set up is that the Workers provide their own transport or make their way to the client's property except for one-off cleans where I arrange to pick them up from strategic locations but I am thinking of stopping that now.  And, it is one person per client.  The clients also provide their own cleaning materials and equipment for regular cleaning.  I provide for one-offs. 

With your set up you would need provide a fleet of cars/vehicles and "Driver Cleaners" to pick up drop off etc which is a more expensive set up. 

I hope this helps.

Abi

the_cleaner

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 03:40:40 pm »
Hi,

Just to fill you in the max you can pay on mileage without it having to be declared to the inland revnue is 25ppm for first 10000 then 10 ppm after that, however it is recommended all employees keep a copy of there expenses and receipts incase this is ever questioned, then whatever per hour on top, Fox, is right they should notify there insurance but usually this is added for free,

Jake

Cinders

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 09:41:01 pm »
Thanks Abi,

I had 2 cleaners working for me and we all had our own cars and clients between us.  They two girls have since had to cut their hours due to returning to college as mature students. 
So for a few weeks I have been doing all clients and doubling up, going to pick my 3rd cleaner up in the morning and dropping her off when we have finished (which is quite some distance from my house anyway). 

Work has been really busy for me this month and for the first time I have had to start turning work down as there are only so many houses I can physically work in one day (as im the driver).  In my experience its hard finding someone who wants 16 hours work a week but also has their own transport. 
Im now going to be offering two services, one where the client provides their own equipment and materials and at an extra cost we will provide them.  Hopefully some clients will take the first option.

I have just moved into an office last week and havent even been there yet as I just havent had the time!

If i could give any advice to newbies it would be to put time and effort into your recruitment process early on whilst you have the time.  Even if its just you for now you dont know how quickly you are going to get work in.  Put adverts out and have a list of prospective peoples numbers as a reserve, then obivously follow the legal procedure for hiring staff.  but BE PREPARED!

;)
If you pay peanuts you get a monkey!

LucyH99

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 07:23:29 am »
Hi there,

I don't normally post, just lurk, but I run a domestic cleaning business and have approx 8 staff cleaning houses for me.  I have about half my staff with their own cars who all work approx 20+ hrs per week.  Others use public transport, and I clean with one staff member who I drive everywhere.  This is ok, and I pay a higher hourly rate for people who have their own cars to prevent having to worry about mileage. 

I also pay a lot of attention to their requirements, where they live and how they are going to get to and from jobs.  This makes them feel valued, as I want to ensure I know whereabouts they all are and roughly what time they are travelling to and from jobs.  If they ever have problems getting to places, I just drive a bit further!

If I had to employ a driver I don't think it would be worth my while to do this to be honest.  And I still sometimes wonder with the price of fuel if it is worth me doing it either!  I live in a rural area so most of my customers require some kind of travelling, usually by car.

I am lucky enough to have found some great staff over the 2 years I have been doing this, but staffing never remains stable and people always move on in this business.  I am finally coming to terms with this an dealing with each mini crisis a lot better now than when I first started out!

It just takes a lot of organisation and planning, but can be done!  I do wonder how the bigger franchises make money when they provide 2 cleaners with a car.  Another local domestic cleaning business actually gave up just as I started out because it wasn't worth their while providing a van etc, and they charged a lot more than I do.

Just some thoughts anyway.

Lucy :)

Gerard Grindley

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2006, 08:04:17 pm »
Hi Lisa.
Can you send me copy please

Mr BSF

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2006, 08:20:42 pm »
Hi Lisa.
Can you send me copy please

dont call me Lisa  ???,

kind regards

BSF

diamond-domestics

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2006, 08:24:26 pm »
Mr BSF

Please could you also email us a copy of the above.    Many thanks.

Mr BSF

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2006, 08:27:48 pm »
sent ;D

hope it's ok

diamond-domestics

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2006, 09:07:38 pm »
Mr BSF

Received, many thanks.

Carolann

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 02:52:30 pm »
Hi BSF,
could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of your spreadsheet too please? ::)

hansarduk@aol.com
Carolann

sue16

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 08:17:52 pm »
Hi Mr BSF i would be most grateful if you colud send me a copy
thanks kinds regards sue.
www.alls-done-dusted.com

Mr BSF

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 08:50:15 pm »
hi Sue,

Ive just sent it to the email address from the given website, info@alls-done-dusted.com

regards

BSF ;D

sue16

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 09:18:02 pm »
Thanks BSF but not come through!!!

sue16

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 09:35:22 pm »
Thanks BSF much appreciated
kind regards sue16  :)