see what she is like over the next week then decide
16.7%
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 29, 2006, 12:35:35 am

Ali_D

Re: clients and cleaners
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006, 07:35:45 pm »
I'm going by my own experience.  I was terminated :P (no notice given) after eleven months because of my sickness level.  It was genuine sickness but as I hadn't been there a year I couldn't do anything. >:( It wasn't what I would call excessive sickness after comparing it to some of our NHS staff (I work in NHS HR at the mo), but they were going through a difficult financial period :-X and he was a solicitor.  They begged me to go back about four months later, pay rise the lot.....imagine the pleasure I had in telling them to get stuffed ;D

Michael D

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:39 pm »
Hi Lisa 123,
                   Why don`t u sit down with this girl and tell her that her work is not what u want. She is no good for the job, and ask her to look for anthor job, and when she fines one she can go. And in the mean time her hours are going to be cut down.   Michael D

stains-away

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2006, 01:20:46 am »
Having read through the posts its obvious you want her gone, if not there would be some positive remarks and not all negative, put quite basically if you were in her shoes would you rather have a boss that put you through hoops (theory test ???, was this explained at the interview as being standard procedure?) ,and was trying to find the guts to sack you or would you rather had a boss who kindly and politely said i don't think your suited to the job, no hard feelings but goodbye and good luck for the future.

I know which id prefer.

From your point of view, wouldn't it be easier to get rid now and have less stress than keep putting it off and wondering what shes going to do next?

I wouldn't entertain any thought of "theory tests" or has been suggested by others telling her she can stay (with reduced hours) until she finds other work, again put yourself in her shoes, how would you feel if this were you?
Also an  employee staying under such conditions could do untold damage to your companies reputation with clients if they felt the need, leaving a disgruntled employee in someones home is not particularly wise is it!

From your clients point of view, would your clients be impressed if they knew that you had let someone enter their premises to work when you were not confident in either their abilities or with their attitude?

If I were a customer and i found this to be the case do you think you would keep that work, no, neither do I.

I didn't vote in the poll, no need, its your decision to make, i hope for your companies sake you do the right thing and quickly, while doing it in such a way that is polite, professional and without any undue stress to either party.

I will answer before I am asked by others, no, I don't employ any staff but i had 3 years as a shift manager in a factory with 120 staff when I started, reduced to 83 before I left, still producing the same output, where I was known as being harsh but fair (according to the toilet walls I was a few other things ;D), try telling a worker that their hygiene isn't up to the required standard throughout the disciplinary procedures, then sacking them a week after their fathers funeral (16 year old boy), not nice but it needed doing at the time.

I'm not "having a go" just trying to put all sides across equally, hope it works out, Andy

lisa123

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2006, 10:50:38 am »
The theory test was all explained at the interview, so it is just part of induction training. I hate to say it but i think she is starting to pull her socks up. She did do quite well in the test, and she was fine when i checked her at a clients house yesterday. Maybe its me being to picky.

Thank you for your long post Andy, i bet i'd be scared of you if you were my boss  ;D I do see what you mean though. if she isn't meeting our standards then our customers aren't going to be happy.
I don't think anyone will meet our standards.

stains-away

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 02:42:34 pm »
If her works improving and she did well with the "theory test" then maybe shes trying harder than first thought, sometimes if people are out of work for a while they become detached from the "real" world apart from social interaction, perhaps by trying to fit in she has helped you to form a bad first impression, maybe by doing so she has come across as being over familiar.

Has she been told that she did okay with the test and that you were pleased with her work when you checked in on her?

Maybe doing so in an understated manner would give her some confidence in her role, although doing so wouldn't be wise if the gut feeling is still to send her down the road.

I don't know what your procedures are with customer/staff relations, but if you don't already have it in place then maybe a customer satisfaction survey could be filled in by customers on a regular basis, its only a matter of knocking up a form and sending it with their invoice along with a stamped addressed envelope, they could even fill it in anonymously if they liked, if you stagger the send out of the forms you soon get to realise who's saying what without any need for a signature, sorry to drag on, hope this helps, Andy

lisa123

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2006, 02:53:44 pm »
yes we do have a service review questionnaire that we send out every so often to our customers, basic questions such as are you happy with the cleaning service provided, is your cleaner on time etc, do you get on well with your cleaner etc. any changes to be made to duties, times days etc.

is there any other questions that i should include? i only knocked up a quick one a few months ago and have been using that, but i would like to think of  more questions for it.

She has been out of work for a while, and maybe i just need to give her a little bit of encouragement. Her theory results were in the catagory, of 'more practice required' for particular tasks, but fine on everything else health and safety colour coding etc.

stains-away

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2006, 03:21:41 pm »
I'm just at the point of doing drafts for documentation for domestic cleaning (a process I'm hoping to have finished within the next week or so), initially my wife will be running the cleaning side alone, its an area we looked at due to requests from customers on the carpet and upholstery side, i would be happy to let you see a copy of the customer service survey when its finished if you like, there may be some differences there to your own and feedback is always helpful, Andy

lisa123

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006, 04:02:06 pm »
Thanks Andy that would be very helpful. its always good to have a brainstorm now and again.

mark dew

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2006, 05:16:47 am »
If she lets herself down this week then i'll have to find someone else.

???
Sorry. Don't believe you.
This thread started on 25th march and for 10 days you have voiced concern about her.

Where has she gone???

Its almost 2 weeks now and she is still with you.

What are you playing at?

Follow your instincts.

You little softy.  :D

Good luck with your business anyway.

lisa123

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2006, 03:39:11 pm »
Hi, well i guess her hard work was all a put on because she knew we were assessing her last week.
Shes back to old habits and customers do not trust her, and they do not like her, and they are not sure she is up to the job and they dont think her standards are good enough.

I'm very lucky to have customers, who are also friends - at the moment.

Her feedback from the customers isn't looking good. She is now fired! well when i call a meeting on Monday she is so FIRED!!  ;D

Phoenix

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2006, 03:52:51 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Glad to see you've seen the light, she's still on probation, therefore, you have no problem getting rid, about bloody time.

Good luck on Monday, make sure you have a witness with you just in case she tries to come back with something and please ensure everything is documented.

Regards

graham

lisa123

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2006, 04:04:30 pm »
how do you mean documented?
There will be both us Lisa's and her in the meeting.
we have never sacked anyone before, is there anything we have to do in particular with regards to paperwork?  :-\ :-[

Phoenix

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2006, 05:06:11 pm »
Hi yer

Documentation should be in the form of minutes to the meeting ie; what was said, reasons for her failure to complete probation period (standards etc) and then the outcome.

I know its illegal but I use a dictation machine so you dont have to write everything down during the meeting.  Its not illegal if you inform the employee you are taping the meeting and explain its to the benifit of both paties to ensure there is no mis-understandings.

Issue a letter to her the next day by post and explain that she has 5 working days to appeal against your decision to let her go.  Always keep minutes of diciplinary meetings, there is less chance of anything coming back to bite you in the ar*e

Regards

Graham

Phoenix

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2006, 05:08:42 pm »
Forgot to mention P45!!!

lisa123

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2006, 05:20:26 pm »
so all we have to do is write down everything said word for word.

tell her she has 5 days to appeal (to us i pressume)

send her a letter saying the reason etc and include her P45. is that right?

'quality of work not up to standard' she might argue that she has had inadequate training or something, i don't know.
I think we have been very thorough with the military style practical assess ment, theory test and the initial week showing the ropes aswell.

i'm not sure that she really cares if she leaves or not to be honest.

BSF

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »
Hi yer

Documentation should be in the form of minutes to the meeting ie; what was said, reasons for her failure to complete probation period (standards etc) and then the outcome.

I know its illegal but I use a dictation machine so you dont have to write everything down during the meeting.  Its not illegal if you inform the employee you are taping the meeting and explain its to the benifit of both paties to ensure there is no mis-understandings.

Issue a letter to her the next day by post and explain that she has 5 working days to appeal against your decision to let her go.  Always keep minutes of diciplinary meetings, there is less chance of anything coming back to bite you in the ar*e

Regards

Graham

Graham,

Your filling Lisa full of nonsense, appeal ;D ;D, the member of staff has worked for less than one month, even if they had worked for Lisa for nine months, all she would need to do is draft a simple letter explaining she/he isnt suitable for employment, in this case no notice is required, end of story.

Basically Lisa you can employ who you want, but give the correct notice.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

Ali_D

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2006, 08:43:17 pm »
This is meaning for cases of gross misconduct, believe me stay within the law as far as employees go, if you think they are unsuitable after this 1 month period, give them a weeks notice and pay all holiday pay owed.

I'm confused now (easily done though).  Do they need notice or not or is it just within one month.

Ali_D

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2006, 08:45:18 pm »
Hi Ali,

You are required by law to give 1 wks notice after one month of employment, please click on this link:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/individual/02.htm

Regards

Paul

Oops sorry - wrong quote, I meant this one.

BSF

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2006, 09:23:51 pm »
One month or less no notice, up to one year 1 week, two years 2 weeks and so on, in alot of cases an employer will pay the notice and let the employee leave on the day the decision is made.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

Ali_D

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2006, 09:25:26 pm »
Ta Paul