dmckellar

Re: Water jetting association courses ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:48:54 pm »
i have completed and passed the basic course. was a couple of hundred quid i  think.

i only took it as the house builder i was tendering for required a certificate of competency.

the course was a bit OTT for what i was doing, but did gain some knowledge - it was leaned more towards drain cleaning if im honest the one i was at

wpclean

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:06:31 pm »
The basic H & S day course is £160 ,and the practical day courses are £100.    You get city & guilds qualification, and photo card.         Funny thing is you have to have two years experience to be able to be a member of Jet washing association,
what's that all about  ???

wpclean

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »
Did the course today, and enjoyed it, and learned a lot about H & S, and agree it was inclined more to drain cleaning.

The other lads on the course were all from drain cleaning companies, and had to be there as new regulations, so I was unable to ask a lot more questions ( every time I tried to ask they all moaned because they just wanted to get out of there )

Bit frustrating not to be able to try out all the big machinery they had there, but when everyone had gone I was offered a go but I did not have proper boots !

It was fascinating learning about the high pressures when using cutting/ drain cleaning equipment, and the range of jets ranging from the little ones to the big warthog monsters.

I learned about the pressure increasing using smaller bore nozzles, and the need to change to different machines, also I understand now how the pump works, and different range of volume, and pressure effects the cleaning.

Maths is not my strong point, but is handy knowing how to convert bars into psi etc.

And there was the horror show of injuries done by high pressure water . . . . . I was amazed looking at first picture just looked like a nasty nick, but showing other side of hand totally burst down to bone right up to elbow!

Last thing is exam of 20 questions, quite common sense, and then a photo, and you get a City & Guilds certificate & ID card backed water jetting association.       Trainer said more and more companies are asking for these now, don't know if that is true.

Anyway just need some real experience now, and to make a lot of mistakes, and I will be on my way, already got a few bookings with my present wc customers, and I explained I was just starting out, but I would guarantee the work.

Please forgive the bad grammar, and thank you for the kind replies you have given to what must seem inane questions  ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »
Your probably the most qualified person on here now. I certainly don't have anything on paper and I doubt anyone else does. Carl may have??!!

I have been doing a tender application today and have been asked for Water Jetting association qualifications, so we will be doing this in the future.

Well done ;)

Rob ;D

wpclean

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:57 pm »
For experienced guys like you it will be a doddle, did mine with a company called jetchem, at Doncaster, they sell, and hire pw gear.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »
As you say in your post.

It is aimed towards the drain jetting side of high pressure washing and there is very little in it for us but if the authorities want qualification, recognised, there is very little alternative.

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:30:36 pm »
I have only been asked for it just once. It is better suited to the UHPW, dustless demolition and concrete prep industries - their balance guns use more water out the back than ours do. You do get a card to take to hospital that might save your life - if the doctor reads the lingo

Blast Away

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:49:53 pm »
For experienced guys like you it will be a doddle, did mine with a company called jetchem, at Doncaster, they sell, and hire pw gear.

That's one of their branches. The main one is in Ramsbottom near us.

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:50 pm »
It can be done anywhere as you just "hire in" their tutor/ tester. Just another closed shop thing