Moderator David@stives

What RO
« on: September 21, 2008, 07:54:23 pm »
I know I have been given advice before, but my circumstances keep changing,

I now use over 2000 litres of pure water a day, which RO set up will satisfy my needs.

I have 2 1000 holding tanks and enough di vessils, so I am just talking about the rest of the set up.

If poss i want to do it without a booster pump even though my water pressure isnt the best, about 40psi i think ?

Moderator David@stives

Re: What RO
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:02:05 pm »
Another consideration is my storage tanks are 30 m from the water supply, so it will be 30 m of hose to the RO unit.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:51 pm »
Twin 4ox4o`s,boosted before RO,you should produce about 300ltr`s an hour.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:05:37 pm »
I'm out of my depth on the technical side, I use 300gpd with booster- but I never understand why you should have a preference. Cost isn't an issue, nor is any thing else you think importand.The key is that you need a water supply that you can always count on.

Why not just go for the best most suitable system? Obviously someone who might know would have to tell you what that is.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:11:16 pm »
Discount, the only problem with a booster at the moment is electric, maybe i will get that sorted one day, we are running out of possible outlets in the house, we are always competeing for the washer, dish washer, dryer , radio , hoover and my 3o metre extension lead is always the first to get unplugged and never gets plugged back in. Also the electric is getting old and needs an extra circuit put in.

It is on my list, but getting another van on the road and another employee as well as paper work took over from everything else.

I think that explains one of the reasons i have been di for so long

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:14:08 pm »
NWH

Thanks i nearly missed that one, twin 40 40s where from and what else would i need ? pre filters , carbon, chlorine , sediment ?

Dave

NWH

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:22:32 pm »
Gaps water treatment,you will need 2 x 40x40 ro`s and carbon and sediment filters,you can buy a booster pump from essentially pure that will switch on and fill up automatically when you fill the vans.Alex also does the sub pump that will fill a 650 in 5 minutes.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:28:15 pm »
What you need Dave is a single HP5 4040 set-up with 20" pre-Filters and a large DI canister for post stage polishing.

The HP5 membranes will work down to just 15psi at a good rejection rate. At 40psi the 4040 set-up could still quite easily produce 80-100 litres of water per hour. (1900-2400 per day). It would improve production if you could 'hard' plumb the RO rather than using hose-pipe. No booster pump would be needed for this RO.

If you use 2000 litres a day then you need to have about 3-4000 litres of water storage available to allow for production variations.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:39:38 pm »
My filling distance to van is about 30m, I have thicker hose for this but the 650 fill time is about ten-fifteen minutes.

The feed is a hose pipe from the outside tap. I have a shed that I put electric in (armoured cable from house fuse box to fuse box and sockets in the shed).So the gubbins are in the shed and the ibc outside. The ibc is hidden by a decorative panel,

I would imagine that your wife has some opinions on all of this and doesn't want your garden becoming like steptoes yard. So you need to sell her on the idea of being able to tidy the place up and keep some tools tidy etc.

Sheds are a marvelous thing and a bit of a passion of mine. Mine is a rolls royce of sheds. If anyone is interested I will go out and take a pic,

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:43:01 pm »
what about a filtaura5 will do 500ltrs per hour no need for a booster pump and can produce water anywhere you want .
where theres muck theres money

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »
what about a filtaura5 will do 500ltrs per hour no need for a booster pump and can produce water anywhere you want .

What's a filtaura5?

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:05:54 pm »

What's a filtaura5?
sorry filtapura5  try www.killis.co.uk
where theres muck theres money

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:13:36 pm »
Thanks

Alex , was tempted to phone you this morning for that supalite but didnt want to disturb you at 9.00 am on a sunday, I nearly pressed dial on my mobile , i left my decision making too late as usual, regretted not having a second one this morning.

Will need one soon

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 09:15:59 pm »
I believe that these systems need either electricity or a battery to power them.  I think Dave said the problem was getting an electrical supply to the RO.

Having talked to various firms in America where they come from, they've said that they will only give 500 litres under absolutely optimum conditions with inlet water temperature of 25 degrees.
Thanks

Alex , was tempted to phone you this morning for that supalite but didnt want to disturb you at 9.00 am on a sunday, I nearly pressed dial on my mobile , i left my decision making too late as usual, regretted not having a second one this morning.

Will need one soon

I had a phone call at 8 am!

russ_clark

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:47 pm »
Dave

I have the similar daily requirement as yourself.
Swithed to the 40/40 year or so ago
Best thing I ever did.
I do booster pump it as my tds is high (Essex)
I would get a sparks in to fit a couple of external weatherproof sockets
into a storage shed or similar- job done.
I have 2 x 1000 IBC'S and produce 250-300 litres p.h.
Russ

gary evans

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
Dave my system is more a less as Alex describes, i have mine urned down & it doesnt require electricity only for transfer pump.

I,ve had a recent upgrade of electric turn off (whatever theyre called)

I would recommend a larger holding tank though. We use a 3500 litre black tank (farming possibly milk storage) one. This operates 3 vans 700, 650 & 600 with the odd additional fill daily.

They are a lot cheaper now all around £800 - £900 + tank.

Gary

gary evans

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 11:20:19 pm »
P.S. Hows that crew van, just the biz for cornwall.

We havnt reached there this year since giving up caravan. Used to be outside boscatle, but staayed in st ives park 3 years running. Loved it dont know whats happened this year, been mad

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 07:42:15 am »
Dave my system is more a less as Alex describes, i have mine urned down & it doesnt require electricity only for transfer pump.

I,ve had a recent upgrade of electric turn off (whatever theyre called)

I would recommend a larger holding tank though. We use a 3500 litre black tank (farming possibly milk storage) one. This operates 3 vans 700, 650 & 600 with the odd additional fill daily.

They are a lot cheaper now all around £800 - £900 + tank.

Gary

www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Bulk_Water_Storage_Tanks.html

They are a lot cheaper than that now.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 08:16:50 am »
Gary the crew bus is good, I have now got 3 vans, just bought a Merc Vito , not as good as the vw's and the build quality not too good

cybersye

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:36 am »
I've been looking at fiting a 4040 in my van mount too, I have no room for static storage. Can I fit a booster pump in my van ? if so what would I need (pump) and how can I power it ? I would not be able to run it from a mains power source, is this still possible ?