Tom Mac

Georgian windows and brush mods
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:10:43 am »
Is there any reason why i should not modify a brush, ie, cut it down in size, so it fits the small panes of glass better. Still keep 2 nozzles in it and turn thr flow down. These panes of glass are small and single glazed. What i dont want to do is apply to much weight with a normal size brush. I know the job will take longer, but that will be reflected in the price.

Jeff Brimble

Re: Georgian windows and brush mods
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:39:08 pm »
Diy anything you want  ;D
I like to do two panes at a time so if they are 5" I use a 10" brush. This also spreads the load/pressure over both panes and its less likely to break fragile thin-cast glass.

Wayne Thomas

Re: Georgian windows and brush mods
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:40 am »
Diy anything you want  ;D
I like to do two panes at a time so if they are 5" I use a 10" brush. This also spreads the load/pressure over both panes and its less likely to break fragile thin-cast glass.

Good point.

wfp work gets easier from people who experiment and share their good ideas. Never try something different, you'll never progress onto better things.

I've been using the new SL-X dual trim brush. It's very good. It scrubs about 85% as efficient as a Tucker brush. Where it outperforms a Tucker brush is when it comes to using it to clean 'dreaded leaded' and partitioned glass simply because it doesn't bounce along as much as a Tucker brush would. I've tried the brush using cold & hot water and found it doesn't lose it's shape, splay or rigidity.  It doesn't trap dirt in the bristles and makes a very good lightweight brush for rinsing 'brush on'. It's good value in comparison to the price of a Tucker and will give it a good run for the money. I've ordered the single trim version now, should give the Tucker brush a good comparison when it comes to scrubbing performance.

Anyone who uses the SL-2 with a Bentley brush fitted that isn't impressed with the performance of the Bentley brush should try the dual trim brush designed for the SL-X as it is very light as well but scrubs good and doesn't retain dirt in the bristles when rinsing 'brush on' :)

I'm now going to cut a Tucker brush down to the same dimensions as the new SL-X brush to try as it's given me food for thought.