KarlJones

higest TDS you would use to clean is?
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:24:29 pm »
My RO seems to be working fine, still playing with it though :)

At the moment it has got my TDS down to 8, just wondering how high a TDS you would use as pure.  Obviously 000 is the best, but still worth asking.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

KJG

Re: higest TDS you would use to clean is?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:26:02 am »
Depends on a number of things. The glass, its frame/seal and building location. I've got away with 30+ on some jobs :o

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:24:40 am »

At the moment it has got my TDS down to 8, just wondering how high a TDS you would use as pure.  Obviously 000 is the best, but still worth asking.

I will go up to 004 myself but I've read on here that some go up to 010 or even 015.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:06:32 am »

Some say they will go to 10 but i only work with 000.

At the end of the day it's only about £80 to renew resin in the di bottle & at 8 from the RO the resin lasts for 18 months for me so far.

Macc

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:35:58 am »
Try to be strict and maintain 000, otherwise you may fall into the trap of letting your TDS creep higher and higher and then it won't be long before the complaints/cancellations start hitting your doormat.

Keep a TDS meter with your in your vehicle at all times along with a spare bag of resin, this way you never get caught short and the water stays where it should be 000.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Luke Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:18:43 am »
I've cleaned my own house with tds 34 with no spots at all

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:27:17 am »

Thats a very high reading to be honest??

Whichever number you choose to work from its the results that count, call backs from spotting are expensive and time consuming. Personally we work to 0 all the time then we have no water issues.

nat

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:52 am »
we had a reading of 006 on Friday, ordered some more resin and was here saturday morning, it creeped from 001 - 002 -006 within the space of a couple of hours so as suggested it ain't worth the hassle, keep it at 000 then you will have no problems

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 09:42:17 am »
I take the reading from the tank feed just after the RO/DI (situated 4 miles from where I live).  I have a 20" refillable DI attached to the RO.  I check it regularly when I fill the van mount.  By the time the water is feeding into the static tank at 004 the TDS was a bit lower when the tank started to fill.  Also, the water from the static tank is mixing with the water in the van mount thus diluting the effect.  It's probable that 004 going into the static tank is no more than 002 by the time it hits the glass.  Also, this only occurs around the time I change the resin (about once every 3 or 4 weeks).  The rest of the time it's 000.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 05:27:32 pm »

Thats a very high reading to be honest??

Whichever number you choose to work from its the results that count, call backs from spotting are expensive and time consuming. Personally we work to 0 all the time then we have no water issues.

I dont clean with this, my house tap water is 34tds, I only have my poles at the mo so I was testing on my own house

Trevor Knight

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
WOW - direct from the mains at 34 is fantastic -  1 bag of resin will last you a lifetime - nice one!

Luke Johnson

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 06:53:21 pm »
yeah it's great, it will keep my costs down, all the water here is like this, so if I ever need to fill up at a customers house I will be ok!

George P

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:04:18 pm »
have used it at 30 with good rinsing, not the normal but had to get work completed and reading stared at around 10 and it soon went up to 64 (not good) within a couple of hours, as said earlier try to keep to 000 then when it starts to move up get it done before it goes to high. max we use is as above but only in emergency

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 08:30:28 pm »
ladderless pure water cleaning is 000ppm not 001ppm or higher this is the reason that when you tell a customer you use a wfp they say oh no i used to have a guy with that and i wasnt happy!!

because they dont clean with pure water

000ppm is whats required after all would you use a squeegee rubber with lots of nicks in it or a dirty scrim

i doubt it

so keep resin in stock and like Trevor said its a good idea to keep one in the van or to save time a pre filled spare resin vessel to enable quicker changes

rgds

stu

KarlJones

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 09:54:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, I did try to say 000 was best in my original post but i guess I should have stressed it a bit more.  What I was basically saying is that if you have a complete idiot of a window cleaner who has not got resin in stock (blush), how far would you go before you said "I'd rather not clean em!".

I think the basic answer seems to be...

Always keep a stock of resin
Do not let your TDS rise above 000
If, as a last resort, you have completely stuffed yourself by not planning ahead then maybe risk a 004 as a one off.
If your ultra screwed, in so much as it is a "must be done today" job, then you had better pray that whatever you produce is good enough.

PS,  just ordered some dowex just to be on the safe side ;)
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

pjulk

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 12:24:33 am »
I let my TDS rise to 003 and get no problems.

macmac

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 08:12:51 pm »
Of the guys who find that their tds rockets up within a couple of hours after it hits 001, what brand resin do you use?

tony

Londoner

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 08:25:15 pm »
TDS is a measure of the impurity but it doesn't indicate what the impurity is. We assume most of the time it is calcium but it doesn't have to be calcium. If your water is heavily chlorinated that can give a reading despite the fact the water is "pure" so far as calcium is concerned and the chlorine won't cause spots.

cybersye

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 08:46:27 pm »
TDS is a measure of the impurity but it doesn't indicate what the impurity is. We assume most of the time it is calcium but it doesn't have to be calcium. If your water is heavily chlorinated that can give a reading despite the fact the water is "pure" so far as calcium is concerned and the chlorine won't cause spots.
Vince
thats interesting what you've just said
I have a merlin ro, good pressure of about 80 psi.
My tds in is 350-400 ppm. After ro about 30.
Thats still pretty high by others readings. I remember posting here about a year ago as to if there was something wrong and I think jm123 posted explaining that tap waters ingredients can differ significantly geographically and the high product tds could be down to many different factors.
Question
Is there a supplier or some place I could take a water sample to find out exactly what is in my water supply? It maybe there could be a particular filter I could buy that I could add as a pre filter to lower the product tds before di.
Just a thought
anyone have any suggestions?
Simon

Elgin Sparrowhawk

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 08:57:47 pm »
000tds
all the time, its the only way to make sure there is no come back with water issues.