scrim boy

I think I've knackered my membrane-help!
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:29:30 pm »
I didn't know how yo perform back flush and just guessed, ran tap water straight through membrane and now tds reading really high - came on here to get help and read that chlorine would knacker membrane cery fast so guess running tap water through was not correct way!!! I have a champ 4000 membrane housing but don't know how to open it or how to change membrane or even what type membrane I need and where to buy it so could someone PLEAS post help ASAP as cannot work till sorted this! - need to know -  1- how to back flush CORRECTLY - 2- what type membrane needed / where to buy it and how to fit it (including how to open membrane housing) I think the membrane might be a 4040 even though it says champ 4000 on outside of housing as on websites the pictures look exactly like mine - thanks

freshwater

Re: I think I've knackered my membrane-help!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:09:37 pm »
scrim b,

1: You don’t back flush membranes. You FLUSH them. All you do is open up your drain restrictor to allow a full flow to drain.

2: Is it a 40" x 4" or a 20" x 4", e-mail the dimensions and I will send a price.

If it’s the plastic champ housing with black ends then proceed as follows.

Turn off your water supplies and allow any pressure to dissipate.
Remove your pipe fitting from from one (any) end.
Looking at the end you will see a recess all the way round the inner end of the outside rim. In this recess is the locking ring (usually white plastic). On its end are what looks like plastic numptys/pin. You need to pull the plastic numptys/pins towards the other end or the locking ring, this will make the locking ring smaller and it should come out of the recess, (the opposite to a circlip). Once you have removed the locking ring the centre plate or the end of the housing should come out. Don’t damage the "O" ring. Then you can pull out the membrane.

steve@freshwatersystems.co.uk

geefree

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 09:35:07 pm »
its bloody complicated that wfp stuff isnt it... it must be worth it though... ladders water and bits seems really nice and simple to me... but i hope i can learn and progress.

abacus

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 09:38:49 pm »
Hi scrim boy

I have taken the same one apart and put new in you may not need to buy a new membrane ring me and give me more imfo sunday  will let you a couple of places to get new ones if you need one

regards grant

A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

scrim boy

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 10:14:35 pm »
hi - I called service at www.gapswater.co.uk and they were real helpful - said if I had put tapwater straight into membrane then it will pretty much be knackered as chlorine from tapwater ruins them and thats why you need carbon pre-filter to remove chlorine, its cost me £200 to replace but should last me over 5 years if i flush it out for 1 minute each day (they also helpfully told me HOW to flush out which was a case of literally opening the water valve that controls flow and leaving it completely open for 1 minute then setting it back till waste water and pure water flows at roughly the same rate again - what was really annoying is that whilst I was on their sight I found pretty much the exact ro system that I got into debt for £2000 to buy was being sold on their site for £600inc vat and it had an inbuilt tds and little metres that indicate when u need to change filters on it - it all comes with instructions and troubleshooting guide, and if I had bought it from them I would have known how to maintain it and this costly mistake would never have happened! I feel so ripped off by the company that sold me this one - although I know they can sell for even MORE on some sites it still doesn't make me feel any better! - at least I know what 2 do with all the filters etc now and I have to say - despite the upkeep costs, this system has still doubled my income so I have 2 look on bright side! thanks for help people, much appreciated responses -  grant, if u still reckon I don't need to swap membrane yet - post us a note, apparently the refill is an ak4040 and i purify water whilst working on van running tapwater straight from tank through system to my brush whilst I work so the pressure has to be maintained pretty high and if u know of any cheaper deals 4 membrane then let us know! thanks

abacus

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 10:26:01 pm »
Hi mate
gaps is one of the sites I would of given you to look on they really know about water treatment chemical as well if your membrane is naff you should be getting more water into you tank in less time as it burns holes in it if you have just fould it up you can sometimes claer it by running pure water through it at a good rate between 60 and 80 psi through your pump turnig back 10 psi for a number of hours like six or seven  you can check if its workong by checking the tds after an hour or two to see if its gon down if in dout about it feel free to call

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

freshwater

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 10:11:18 am »
Scrim,

I think 5 years it a bit optimistic.

Oh and who did you buy your original system from? I am sure there are lost of WFPs out there who would like to know who to avoid.

scrim boy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 01:06:41 pm »
hi- I can't give details of people I bought system from because the forum rules say I can't slag any businesses off - but what I CAN do is list my 4 top recommended sites (for r/o systems) and they are
 www.gapswater.co.uk
www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk
www.chiccleaning.co.uk
www.osmotics.co.uk

Believe me, I have spent hours and days on the internet trawling the sites to find the cheapest resin / filters etc and best service and these for me are the pick of the bunch..

for the best r/o I would recommend gapswater  ( - to find the one I mean click on WINDOW CLEANING SOLUTIONS or supplies or something and then click on r/o systems) , and I have called them on the phone before for help and they have been really great - offering lots of advice etc beyond the call of duty.  they also sell cheap filters,  I think OSMOTICS is great for replacement resin cos they do it in 5 litre tubs so they are easy to use and store, but if u use a lot then u probably best using one of the other 3 sites - thanks 4 your help folks!

freshwater

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 03:23:23 pm »
Scrim,

Nobody’s asking you to slag any business of, just an honest personal opinion based on your experiences. As you said, high priced no user instructions.