P @ F

P @ F , Tinkering again !
« on: September 09, 2006, 01:13:58 am »
Hi people , just thought i would share my latest money saving idea with you all !
Just got in from the shed , was busy building a 2 x 3 foot extender pole from an 18 foot pole that some fool drove over , the result was fantastic !
Anyway , whilst putting the pole together i noticed that the Araldite i was using to stick the collars on with was setting in a really smooth finish , this is where the idea stems from .........
I have seen many posts complaining that after some time the sections on both extender and universal poles wear away causing the sections to spin , my idea is simple ............
With the universal pole , strip it down into bare sections , mix up your 2 part araldite , put on your rubber gloves and simply rub the pole all over with the araldite mix , making sure of course that it isnt too thick a coating that you cant put it back together , leave overnight and assemble in the morning , if you cant get it back together then i would imagine that a quick going over with wet and dry sanding paper would do the trick .

The same would apply to extender poles , but as you cant take them apart so easily you would need to fully extend the pole and do it in one hit , masking tape up the collars though as you dont want to glue it into permanent 18 foot mode do you !

If anybody has the plums to do it let me know how it goes .

Otherwise my old  2 x 3 footer is getting the treatment over the weekend , in which case i will let you all know how it goes .

Regards , Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

JM123

Re: P @ F , Tinkering again !
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:30:21 am »
Ihave a 3x4ft extender needing a bit of tlc - I'll give it a go this weekend and report back to you, otherwise the pole is for the scrapheap.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:33:47 am »
My ONLY CONCERN IS ......... how flexible is araldite ?
ONLY THE ONE WAY TO FIND OUT EH ?

THE 24 FOOT UNIVERSAL IS GETTING IT BIG TIME !

Rich P @ F  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:38:44 am »
Hi JM , thats what we need , people willing to experiment , all it will cost is £4 for the araldite , as you said the pole is in the bin otherwise , a fair saving could be made if it works .

Rich   P @ F   

JM123

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 01:41:46 am »
yeah its worth a go - fantastic little pole, 16inch vikan with fan jets on it, does so much work.  £4 for a spot of araldite and half an hour tinkering sure its worth a go.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 07:00:04 am »
Hi Guy's I'm not WFP Yet, but I see your problems, has anyone ever tried using Phosphore bronze bearings to repair your poles with?

for those who don't know what one is, Its is a bearing that does not rotate, and there used for fitting a bearing to a shaft and say the bearing is too big to fit the shaft then you fit a Phosphore bronze bearing to take up the slack, and can be purchased in almost any thickness, or so thin you could almost see through them,

I used two thicker one's last week to keep a cutting head attached to a 1hp motor in a table mounted Router, so if they will do that, I'm sure they would work on poles, and they wont wear out. Just a thought guy's

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 12:45:27 pm »
when i still worked for someone with wfp, he used to cut a small wedge out of the clamp thus you could tighten the thread up further so the sections would not spin, just another suggestion, but the araldite one seems a good one too.

ray l

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 12:03:14 pm »
Hi all ,
just a few pointers ( I did this last year ,to repair the pole and am still using it )

When your spreading it over the pole you do not need to have a thick layer of glue. ( 1 mm layer will add over 2mm all around )( i,m to lazy to use pie for now)

If you need you can allways put on another layer later.

I think i read a post recently about someone using a lacquer for a fishing rod if anyone remembers it might be a bit easier.